Apple releases iPhone Software Version 1.1.4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How would this break Jailbreaks? People who are already jailbroken wouldn't have a desire to upgrade if there aren't any new features. You have to consciously choose to download and install the update; it's not done over the cell towers.

Thank you, thank you, thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you.
  • Reply 22 of 116
    I think it's good that updates break jailbreaks, It means Apple can't be blamed for any iPhone vulnerbilities that show up due to unnoficial third party hacks and software.
  • Reply 23 of 116
    what does this mean for the ipod touch?
  • Reply 24 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IAmMacUser View Post

I think it's good that updates break jailbreaks, It means Apple can't be blamed for any iPhone vulnerbilities that show up due to unnoficial third party hacks and software.

Name one instance where someone blamed Apple for a third party application exposing an iPhone vulnerability. Just one.
  • Reply 25 of 116
    Just noticed that skipping to a specific part of a song or video is now very smooth. Before especially in videos there was a long pause and then the playback resumed. Now the pause is extremely short.
  • Reply 26 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Name one instance where someone blamed Apple for a third party application exposing an iPhone vulnerability. Just one.

Isn't AppSnapp, a 3rd party program, credited with finding and exploiting the TIFF vulnerability in the iPhone software?

BTW, I'm only kidding.
  • Reply 27 of 116
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Jailbreaking software that ended up bricking the iPhone! People went to Apple Stores to try and get their bricked iPhones fixed, some insisted on getting their entire phone replaced by Apple because it failed to operate.
  • Reply 28 of 116
    can someone tell me what the new icon at the top right of the screen is? it looks like a phone handset over a keyboard. but i don't recall ever seeing that before this update.
  • Reply 29 of 116
    Hasn't anyone noticed??

The problem of out-of-order text messages has been fixed!!

• Reply 30 of 116
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmon750 View Post

Like it or not, Apple continues updates/upgrades to iPhone software because the $$ it receives from the subscriber revenue - and not hardware sales - allows (motivates??) Apple to continue improving its product.

So if their updates causes the freeloaders, hackers, slackers, and whiners more headaches and complaints as to why they can't partake in a support feature for free - and without problems - as opposed to only those that actually pay for the privilege... it sucks to be you.

I dont' think the SDK bandwagon will make it any easier in certain aspects. If Apple opens it up more to development similar to how it was with Palm back when, more power to them and I would be first to sign up as I see nothing but a positive impact by that move.

But the same mantra will still apply. Don't bitch about wanting something for free that everyone else has to pay for. Apple doesn't continue the R&D for the iPhone simply because it's cool. They are no different than any other company that needs to make money.

I've been an Cingular->AT&T customer for 10+ years. Are they perfect?? Far from it. All the other providers are not perfect either. But I've been relatively happy with them. Is it right that AT&T is the exclusive provider? History will be the judge of that. Do I bitch about not having a Lamborghini as an everyday car? No. So if the iPhone is not available for whatever reason in your town/state/country/planet/whatever, that is just life. If you can hack it up enough to get it to work, kudos to you. But don't expect an easy ride from Apple. You own the hardware, but not the OS software. Get over it.

Let the flamebaiting begin (again).

zzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 31 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

Jailbreaking software that ended up bricking the iPhone! People went to Apple Stores to try and get their bricked iPhones fixed, some insisted on getting their entire phone replaced by Apple because it failed to operate.

Uhhhh..... There has not been any SOFTWARE that I know if that iBricks the iPhone. Generally people brick their phones. Sounds like you believe the party line. Oh and third party apps can crash a cell network right?
  • Reply 32 of 116
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Nice. I gots 1.1.2 on my iPhone so I'd love to have some of the new little tweaks, but I'll wait until I hear the word that 1.1.4 won't brick it before I send it to update-land.

Jimzip
  • Reply 33 of 116
    After the update, the iPhone will only place emergency calls until it connects with the iTunes servers.
  • Reply 34 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ignimbrite View Post

After the update, the iPhone will only place emergency calls until it connects with the iTunes servers.

Is yours unlocked or jailbroken, or on an At&T contract?
  • Reply 35 of 116
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    I just noticed now that on my iPod Touch, when I switch between tabs in Safari, my content now stays, it does not go to a white screen and then reload anymore. I like that alot, saves a lot of time waiting for stuff to load . . .

-iGrant
  • Reply 36 of 116
    netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Should have read "Bug Fixes and Bricking"
  • Reply 37 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netdog View Post

Should have read "Bug Fixes and Bricking"

Any proof that phones are bricked because of this upgrade?
  • Reply 38 of 116
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Hello

I have an iPod touch and the video does look a little faster to load
  • Reply 39 of 116
    igrantigrant Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Hello !

I have an iPod touch and for me the video looks a little bit faster.

I also think the scrolling is now a little bit faster and takes longer to stop...but maybe im wrong lol

Strange, I have not noticed that, what size of the iPod Touch do you have?

-iGrant
  • Reply 40 of 116
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGrant View Post

Strange, I have not noticed that, what size of the iPod Touch do you have?

-iGrant

Actually I think I was wrong... thats why I made an edit... still video is faster