O2 quarter boosted by iPhone; PayPal Safari warning; iPhoto 7.1.3

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

II guess my point is, that it's pretty hard to read an article about Apple these days that doesn't address the sudden drop in quality, or 'quality slipping', or 'growing pains with quality'.

That is a fear and many a good company has ruined its customer service and collapsed its quality control from growing too big, too quickly. And Apple has also branched out in many new areas over the past decade. Despite that, I think Apple is handling it very well, but there is certainly room for improvements.

Now that the major work on the two processor platforms are taken care of (x86 and ARM) can we expect Apple to put more effort into other areas that need tending? (rhetorical)
  • Reply 22 of 38
    @ solipsism & hiro:

The two bad ones are mail.com and hotmail; of course, I know exactly what the problem is with hotmail, and I never really use it anyway, I just exaggerate for effect!

Make no mistake, many of these overly complicated (and Flash) pages are much, much slower in Firefox, just as is everything else. I use Safari 99.9% of the time, and I know when they talk about "compatible" browsers they mean "incompatible our way," and it makes me spit nails! I want a standards-compliance revolution that will sweep them all into the dustbin of history. Apple started it with Safari, and that's why I support it; plus it's fast, takes 3 seconds to load instead of a minute and a half like Firefox, it doesn't scroll in quarter-screen jerks (again, like Firefox,) and it looks good. (Just not as good since Leopard's step backward in appearance.) As far as phishing goes, I don't think there's any software substitute for intelligence.

(IE reminds me of Ford's famous tapered bolt heads that a regular socket would hop off of. They were supposed to bring out a line of special wrenches for them, but they never got around to it....)
  • Reply 23 of 38
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I started looking at windoze box's because Apple has no solid offerings for visual creative professionals.

Visual creative professionals is a pretty broad statement. What visual profession are you in.

Its difficult to understand what you are talking about considering how Final Cut Pro dominates the editing world. Even with Apples small marketshare 40% of Adobe professional products and 60% of Avid professional products are sold to Mac users.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You are correct.
    I'm trying to find a valid phoshing website right now to test it.

edit: This feature did not make it into the final release. Apple must have done that up-sell us Time Capsule.

even tho the anti-phishing thing didn't make the final release, the feature resources are still there. right-click the Safari app and "Show Package Contents" and you'll find the security banner background (/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/SecurityBannerBackground.tiff) and a nib file (/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/SecurityBanner.nib).

maybe there's a way to re-enable it by tweaking a plist, like there is for the Safari debug menu. anybody?

oh, and Google has a phishing test page (Firefox detects it) here...
  • Reply 25 of 38
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Dude maybe you should switch back to windows, am pretty sure that alienware with 4 core extreme processors running at 4ghz, that you been looking at, will make a real good botnet zombie

I've never been a windows guy, so it's pretty hard to switch back.

I'm just grumpy cuz my G5 died and Apple wants a thousand bucks to replace 1 processor. So I rolled it into a Mac Pro which came DOA. And now I'm trying to crank out huge projects on a 1ghz powerbook.

If I switched to windoze, i'd give my wife a heart attack. So no botnet zombie for me.

I was just looking to see what the other world was doing. The Alienware box's look pretty freaky deaky with the glowing lights n all. I should hook up some crazy lights in my G5... make it a real cool disco lamp or something... make use of it somehow.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Barrett has a valid point about Safari. I'm quite surprised Safari wasn't one of the first browsers to detect phishing.

Perhaps there's a point - but he's blown it way out of proportion. If you're stupid enough to click on a 'paypal' link in an email, you could get burned. But for people who go directly to Paypal's site from Safari, there's no danger.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

guess my point is, that it's pretty hard to read an article about Apple these days that doesn't address the sudden drop in quality, or 'quality slipping', or 'growing pains with quality'.

ROTFLMAO.

You mean the Consumer Reports article which places Apple's quality at the top of the heap? Or maybe you mean the PC World article which says that Apple's quality is better than anyone else out there.

Note that both of those articles are based on actual consumer experience - not FUD from some Rainman.

I'm just curious what motivates someone like you to come to a Mac site to mindlessly bash a product with crap like that that you've pull out of your butt. Do you own Microsoft stock or something?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:

Not cool.

More and more i'm coming across sites that are not supported by Safari. One would think that 'internet' accessibility and function would be high priority.

Apple needs to drop all this iPhone/TV crap and focus on their core business. I started looking at windoze box's because Apple has no solid offerings for visual creative professionals. Mac Pro's are a 50/50 gamble that they will be DOA out of the box, and I can't afford the down time of sending machines back 2, 3, 4 times like people are reporting on xlr8 and apple discussion boards.

Where are the new displays? Would be nice to bundle applecare with a new display if one does decide to gamble with a new Mac Pro.

Also of mention, the New Mac Pro's are quite outdated with their hardware offerings already.

Apple seems to be focused on it's appliance business so feverishly, that it's neglected quality control on Leopard, Safari and standard computer line of iMacs and towers.

I mean seriously, it's pretty damn tough to design a marketing campaign on an iPhone.

What the hell gives?

They had better smarten up or their 'Switch' campaign is going to take on a whole new meaning.

If you want to know how I'm really feeling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib2-HBsF08

Funny, I work on Macs for our IT department & they are a breeze. Our print shop was using Macs some years back & was forced to switch to PCs running all their graphics suites & they have had nothing but problems. Our communications department is all Macs & they are the happiest bunch you'd ever meet, except the guy that has to deal with the (windows only) scala system. No DOA Macs & they've been upgrading to the new Intels (had PPC for a long while).

You get peeved about a few issues you have & suddenly Apple is this & does that, but there is no real merit behind your accusations.

Look, if you've had some bad experiences that is a shame, but it isn't because Apple is coming up short it is because all computer manufacturing has a margin of error & you happened to receive that margin.

Maybe you are right though, maybe you should move to Windows & start wining on their forums instead of ours. Next time you want to go ranting at least have some solid data to back your claims.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:

I've never been a windows guy, so it's pretty hard to switch back.

I'm just grumpy cuz my G5 died and Apple wants a thousand bucks to replace 1 processor. So I rolled it into a Mac Pro which came DOA. And now I'm trying to crank out huge projects on a 1ghz powerbook.

If I switched to windoze, i'd give my wife a heart attack. So no botnet zombie for me.

I was just looking to see what the other world was doing. The Alienware box's look pretty freaky deaky with the glowing lights n all. I should hook up some crazy lights in my G5... make it a real cool disco lamp or something... make use of it somehow.

I should have read this before posting.

Maybe it will make you feel better to know a few things about the differences, cause "raw specs" can be deceiving vs performance.

1) Alienware is built around 3D gaming, not 3D modeling or graphics/video design.

2) A huge part of the Macs having an advantage is the software & OS.

3) Dell owns Alienware (I guess this one only helps if you hate Dell)

4) PPC Macs cost a lot to repair because there are very few MB manufacturers for them. That isn't really Apple's fault.

5) most benchmarks test on software specifically designed to take advantage of Direct 3D. Most video card manufacturers build around Direct3D with Open GL as an afterthought. As Macs have grown this is shifting dramatically.

Sorry I blasted you before, being in IT wears at you cause people are always throwing around blame when in the end it turns out to be a user issue.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

I'm on my 4th AppleTV but that doesn't mean that they have a 75% failure rate.

• Reply 31 of 38
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Barrett has a valid point about Safari. I'm quite surprised Safari wasn't one of the first browsers to detect phishing.

Yeah, a phishing filter sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Regarding the EV certificates, these are an industry-wide scam instigated by that most vile company Verisign, and copied elsewhere.

It used to be that normal certificates were strongly validated. Instead what has happened is that EV certificates have the same level of validation, but they charge over $1000 a year for them. The obvious issue being that the standard certificates now must have less validation, and are thus made far less worthwhile for anyone using them.

There's nothing stopping a web browser from turning the URL bar green (or however it chooses to implement EV certificates) for standard certificates as well. Maybe it could be a paler green, or yellow.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member

Thanks Wilco, but I'm fine with electronics going bad. Inconvenient, but not upsettting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You mean the Consumer Reports article which places Apple's quality at the top of the heap? Or maybe you mean the PC World article which says that Apple's quality is better than anyone else out there.

Note that both of those articles are based on actual consumer experience - not FUD from some Rainman.

I much prefer the the more recent switchers like Anand Shimpi that use a MBP, MBA and Mac Pro. Being a straight up hardware guy it's funny to read the forum posters bitching about his drinking of the "Kool-Aid".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Perhaps there's a point - but he's blown it way out of proportion. If you're stupid enough to click on a 'paypal' link in an email, you could get burned. But for people who go directly to Paypal's site from Safari, there's no danger.

Stupid, no. Ignorant, yes. I have plenty of family members that still don't understand that address in their email may not be the address that it will take you. Not being used to cyber-fraud for so many years of their life they very well, may not second guess a well made phishing website or email. While education is important, that doesn't mean she take extra precautions for the less tech savvy.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Seriously, just don't click on links in emails with weird URL's. Look at the address bar and read the address.

I think I'll stick with Safari and it's awesome page-searching, history and bookmark searching, thanks....
  • Reply 34 of 38
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    I thought the iphone was failing to meet expectations in the UK.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I started looking at windoze box's because Apple has no solid offerings for visual creative professionals.

Huh? Apple makes Final Cut Pro and Motion. Those seem to appeal to visual creative pros.

Maybe not as much as some of Microsoft's offering like MS Publisher and Ms Paint. Because those are some serious kick ass creative applications.

But for either Windows or Mac, there are plenty of great software titles for creative work. Have you heard of Adobe Creative Suite?
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

Apple seems to be focused on it's appliance business so feverishly, that it's neglected quality control on Leopard, Safari and standard computer line of iMacs and towers.

I'm just wondering when you're going to come up with evidence to back your absurd claims. Or else explain why we should believe your unfounded assertions rather than the studies done by virtually everyone in the industry which say that Apple has the best quality of anyone.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Sounds plain stupid people once again. Well maybe safari is made for smart people who can figure out in few seconds that the link they see is different from the real link. Probably a 5th grader can see that.

Now about quality, I am sorry for the one who want Apple to decline but my own experience is exactly the opposite. I am handling several servers, well more than 50, and I am replacing as much as I can the Dell by Xserve. So far I never had to dial AppleCare Premium support we take for all Xserve, when I had to call Dell for each server I take care of, and some more than once.

Not only you can appreciate Apple beautiful design inside and outside, hard and soft. Not to mention Ugly Dell plastic and ugly design.

Regarding some of the Laptop and Desktop, I come close to, it has been a tremendous experience so far.

Written from my MacBook Pro 17"'
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capiendo View Post

even tho the anti-phishing thing didn't make the final release, the feature resources are still there. right-click the Safari app and "Show Package Contents" and you'll find the security banner background (/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/SecurityBannerBackground.tiff) and a nib file (/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/SecurityBanner.nib).

maybe there's a way to re-enable it by tweaking a plist, like there is for the Safari debug menu. anybody?

Possibly. If you look at the strings inside the Safari application itself, you'll see something called 'antiPhishingEnabled'. Unfortunately, tweaking the plist to contain this name with either a boolean, string or integer value doesn't appear to make any difference.

I really can't understand why Apple pulled the feature. Maybe they didn't want to take up the position of people relying on Apple for web security, which makes a lot of sense actually. If you think about it, when you've got a security feature on which you feel you can rely, you tend to get complacent and it won't be long before people start to equate "no warning" with "definitely safe website", whereas "no warning" should really only mean "potentially safe website".

If you have no such feature, then all websites should be treated as potentially unsafe. This approach does rely on educating the user to recognise fraudulent sites though, which is easier said than done.