New Imacs Tues?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

Blah. One more Tuesday and no refresh. I keep wondering why they're waiting - and unfortunately the rational reason is they're just selling off the current models. I'm hoping for something a bit more irrational, and something a bit more... now... so I can buy one. This Mini is getting old.

Well, Apple seems to wait for new Intel goodies to update their computer families (even if that means letting RAM and GPU's get outdated and making the machines pretty overpriced for a few months). And well, let's face it. Penryn only offers improvements in terms of power consumption and heat production. Not that relevant in the iMac (unless that less heat from the processor means more heat allowed from the GPU... hmmmm...). There simply is no point in putting a Penryn in an iMac, unless they go for a more expensive, higher clockspeed model, which they won't.

On the other hand, Intel is pushing toward Penryn and Merom supplies must be running low... Then again Apple sill manages to sell combo drives, they must be getting those from a computer museum.
  • Reply 82 of 124
    why can't they drop the price of the mini by $100 or move it up a newer chipset / replace it as the last update was just a CPU DROP IN.
  • Reply 83 of 124
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

why can't they drop the price of the mini by $100 or move it up a newer chipset / replace it as the last update was just a CPU DROP IN.

I agree.
  • Reply 84 of 124
    Quote:

That said, I'm buying a 24" next revision if it has a 512MB of VRAM on the GPU. I'd even be fine with a 2600 as long as it had 512MB of VRAM - I've given up gaming on my Mac

Yeah. Another example of penny pinching from Apple. The 512 MB version also cost well less than a £100. So WHY include 256 megs of ram on a machine costing upto £1500?

*Shakes head.

At least give us the OPTION of added a 512meg version or a better GPU.

You can go from £1000 - £1500 and STILL have the same Radeon Pro card.

EH?

It's the lack of options. There aren't 14 GPU makers anymore. There's only Ati and Nvidia of note. So at least give a choice of a couple of current cards?!?

I sez it before and I sez it again. Give me a quad 2.4 gig, 30 inch, 9600 GPU version. I buys it. Easily done. Eazee. (Just add up the cost of the parts...) Because there's nothing 'extreme' about the iMac 'Extreme' version...

I'd at least like the option of the new Nvidia 9600GT. It's on a new process. So it should run cooler and it performs just as well as a 8800GT.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 85 of 124
    SJ != Options
  • Reply 86 of 124
    I hate to say it but looking at the power dissipation of the 2600 vs the 9600 GT I can't image that happens any time soon (the 9600 uses approx twice the power). Looking at the teardown photos of the current iMac I can't imagine they have much wiggle room for heat in there unless they add some screaming fans (they're already using heat pipes).
  • Reply 87 of 124
    When the updated imac is finally released with a slight speed increase and slightly larger hard drive, how much will the price drop on the current version? I have been waiting for the update but am now wondering if I should just get the current 2.4 24" model once the newest version comes out. I have this version at work and it is great. I can definitely pass on the latest version if this one comes discounted.
  • Reply 88 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post

I hate to say it but looking at the power dissipation of the 2600 vs the 9600 GT I can't image that happens any time soon (the 9600 uses approx twice the power). Looking at the teardown photos of the current iMac I can't imagine they have much wiggle room for heat in there unless they add some screaming fans (they're already using heat pipes).

Unfortunately correct, the 9600GT is not a GPU that will be able to go in computers with limited cooling capacity. And the 9500GT is a direct replacement for the 8500GT; it doesn't look like it will be a very good card. Certainly not better than the 8-series midrange.

There will be a 9600GS, with a significantly reduced clockspeed from the GT, perhaps it will run cooler. Or maybe the iMac's cooling capacity is not as limited as it appears.
  • Reply 89 of 124
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I have a feeling they're coming next week. It just seems right.
  • Reply 90 of 124
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmoopy.design View Post

When the updated imac is finally released with a slight speed increase and slightly larger hard drive, how much will the price drop on the current version? I have been waiting for the update but am now wondering if I should just get the current 2.4 24" model once the newest version comes out. I have this version at work and it is great. I can definitely pass on the latest version if this one comes discounted.

Hmm. Hate to be the bearer of bad news here but Apple doesn't usually drop prices on older models (Apple doesn't drop prices on anything in the store really).. Neither do any of the resellers I've visited. I suppose they just don't need to - people buy the older ones either because they don't know new models are coming or they just don't care, & when the inventory dries up the new ones are sitting ready to go onto the shelves.

Your best bet for saving cash is probably a refurbished model from Apple or a third party selling one (eBay etc.).

I'm sure someone will jump in promptly and correct me if I'm wrong about this, but that's my understanding of it.

Jimzip
  • Reply 91 of 124
    I was curious about the price drop because I am at a University and thus get the education discount. I bought the 15" 2.4 MBP for $2299 a few weeks before the update and now they are selling the version I bought for $1599. This is a significant price reduction. I'm hoping the same thing will happen with the imac.
  • Reply 92 of 124
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Actually, Apple does drop the price of the no-longer-current models of its hardware in order to clear inventory. It is called "Fire Sale." When the next iMac/Mac mini (nano) comes out, call up your nearest Apple Store and ask about discounted prices on previous models (that are "old" by merely a day).

Most of the time, however, the new model released has features/added speed/RAM/HD space, etc. that basically makes it worth the price difference between it and the discounted "older" model.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

Hmm. Hate to be the bearer of bad news here but Apple doesn't usually drop prices on older models (Apple doesn't drop prices on anything in the store really).. Neither do any of the resellers I've visited. I suppose they just don't need to - people buy the older ones either because they don't know new models are coming or they just don't care, & when the inventory dries up the new ones are sitting ready to go onto the shelves.

Your best bet for saving cash is probably a refurbished model from Apple or a third party selling one (eBay etc.).

I'm sure someone will jump in promptly and correct me if I'm wrong about this, but that's my understanding of it.

Jimzip

• Reply 93 of 124
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Reminder me to start posting my paypal account information for those in your "predicament" with hot money!

Enjoy your new iMac! (May 6 is my guess)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmoopy.design View Post

Anyone else have any news on the imac update? I'm all set to buy a 24" imac but don't want to buy the current version just to have the newer line come out the following Tuesday. This $$$ is burning a hole in my pocket!

• Reply 94 of 124
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

It is called "Fire Sale."

Oh my God, we're having a fire...sale!
  • Reply 95 of 124
    here we go again - another week, and another build up of whether or not the iMac range will be updated. I can't believe after years of thinking should I, I finally decide yes, only to be hit with the promise of updates coming soon - and that was about 10 weeks ago ...

*crosses fingers*

Nige
  • Reply 96 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyleader View Post

here we go again - another week, and another build up of whether or not the iMac range will be updated. I can't believe after years of thinking should I, I finally decide yes, only to be hit with the promise of updates coming soon - and that was about 10 weeks ago ...

*crosses fingers*

Nige

I'm in the same boat as you - but I get the feeling it's going to be June
  • Reply 97 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Liquid101 View Post

I'm in the same boat as you - but I get the feeling it's going to be June

Me too. And I'm getting frustrated.

If it was June, I could handle it. It's the not knowing...

Hello all, btw - been lurking for a while, but the frustration got to me...
  • Reply 98 of 124
    So why are Apple so secretive about their product updates. Why can't they just say XXX product will be updated in XXX.

Other manufacturers at least give you an idea on updates, but Apple always seem to say quiet until the very last minute..

Dam annoying ..

I dont need an exact date, but some idea would be nice ..
  • Reply 99 of 124
    Where would the fun be in that?

Store is down. I said I had a good feeling!

We'll see shortly.
  • Reply 100 of 124
    Nope, final cut server shipping.

Well, there's always next week!