Oops: MBA fan died after three weeks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    That was, er, interesting.

Another day and no contact about my machine yet. Apple Store Japan shows a 5 to 7 day shipping period, and they were alerted of the problem 5 days ago, so here is hoping that something comes soon.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Ouch. Care to elaborate a little? How was the customer service? Hopefully it was better than what we get here in Japan.

My Titanium PowerBook G4 500MHz (first Apple I owned) had the HDD and DVD-ROM replaced when the HDD died during the MWNY 2001 keynote. Apple didn't give me any crap about being beyond the 90 day window for free phone support and repaired my laptop promptly.

My Aluminium PowerBook G4 1.25GHz (second Apple I owned) had the dreaded white spots. It took 3 calls to finally get a box sent, but once they finally got off their butt, they again repaired my laptop promptly.

My iMac G5 1.8GHz 20" (third Apple I owned) was crapping out and I wasn't so lucky with my support this time. I brought it to the Apple store and they originally diagnosed my computer having a faulty power supply. For whatever reason they decided not to replace my power supply and replaced a fan, while forgetting to reinstall a light diffuser.

This repair didn't work so I brought it back again. For the second repair they replaced the mainboard. This repair also didn't work and even though I reminded them about the light diffuser they didn't replace it.

So I brought it back a 3rd time and they refused to repair my machine. They said it must be "the quality of your electricity at your house must be sub-standard". I s*** you not. So in order for Apple to send a repair guy to my house, I had to buy AppleCare. Kinda ticked now cuz I am paying for what should've been covered by warranty.

Anyway, 3rd party repair guy comes and looks at my iMac. Says yup, it's your power supply. Tell him about the light diffuser and he says he'll order that too.

Two weeks later the repair guy sets up another appointment. Gets to my house and all he received from Apple was the light diffuser, they didn't send him the power supply. Sooo, two more weeks pass and the guy comes and (finally) replaces the power supply. He gets everything back together and I ask him, "What about the light diffuser?"

He asked me if I wanted him to tear the computer apart to put in the diffuser and I'm like, forget it man, just give me the part.

So, my iMac has worked flawlessly ever since the power supply was replaced. This was the first diagnosis by the Apple store. If they had replaced what they said they were going to, they might've saved Apple the cost of a mainboard + "genius" time.

The light diffuser is still sitting in the plastic bag it came in, tucked behind my iMac, just in case I decide to install it.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Ouch; I feel for you.

---

Update on my situation with the MBA: dropped in on my shop today just as my sales guy was about to call me with the news that Apple has my MBA ready and I will receive it on Monday (nine days after rejecting my last one). Hope this one works right...

Called the wonderful Apple Japan Call Center this morning to follow up on a call I placed a few days ago requesting my history of calls and service to the Call Center so I can prep my letter to Steve Jobs (I told them my intent). The rep I got didn't have the answer (and could barely say anything other than "um" and "er") and again said he would transfer me to a superior, who turned out to be busy (go figure), with two customers waiting on the phone (which should put me as #3?). I asked to have my call returned and have been waiting for almost twelve hours. Will call again in the morning. As I have said in the past, the Call Center here is utterly, utterly useless.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    sonadowsonadow Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

I have also in various threads posted at length about quality control (and especially about revision 1 devices); this is possibly the latter or checker.

sorry to burt your bubbles, but ever since Apple's factory and assembly plant has been moved to China, QC has taken a nasty hit.

Those assembled in Taiwan are still quite acceptable in terms of quality, but nothing beats those assembled in Singapore or the US.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Got my MBA tonight (the 3rd one). It is a version 1.1.

According to my local shop, Apple said that there had been quite a few MBAs requiring repairs but they think this one is clear. Apple tested it in their Japan test center and cleared it (this time they also looked for a tilted screen or warped body). My local shop also ran the full hardware test and cleared the machine on their front. Hopefully, this one will function as intended.

BTW, the MBAs I have received have all come from Singapore, according to my local guy.

Also spoke with the supervisor of the call center today; she finally returned my call after 2 days. I am trying to get my history from them so I can write Steve, but they won't play: she said she was unable to give me any of my history in writing and was very hesitant giving me much over the phone. She claimed that if she had the serial number she could look up the problems, but I said that the machines had been exchanged and I no longer have the serial numbers and that was why I was calling (actually, I have had some of my history read out to me before, so they are pretty obviously stalling). She then said my issue was for Customer Relations. I asked for her to have them call me, but I don't expect to hear from them anytime soon.

I commented on my call to the all center back when the Touch's apps were updated and the rep asked if it was an Apple product and didn't know who Steve was. She said she was sorry. I said that I have been a customer since the Apple IIe and that I am shocked at the decline in service. She responded by saying, "You mean the Apple TV?"

Cupertino, we have a problem.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I commented on my call to the all center back when the Touch's apps were updated and the rep asked if it was an Apple product and didn't know who Steve was. She said she was sorry. I said that I have been a customer since the Apple IIe and that I am shocked at the decline in service. She responded by saying, "You mean the Apple TV?"

Cupertino, we have a problem.

Yes, a big one

My Powerbook has had overheating issues in the last couple weeks, The bottom (the part you touch) has been exceeding 150 F or 66 C

I think the heating problems are the cause of the artifacts and stuff on the screen; I'm not sure.

I would get a new MacBook Pro, but I can't for almost a year or more...
  • Reply 27 of 30
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Am still waiting for Apple Japan's Customer Relations department to return my call... It has been nine days.

Don't know about the rest of the world, but I have never had to wait more than a day for a call to be returned here in Japan; it's common courtesy.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Heard at my local shop today that a second MacBook Air that was sold there was DOA. Not good.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Still waiting for the call, but not holding my breath.

It is almost two weeks now. This is really crappy service.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Finally got the call but was unable to answer. They left a message saying they would call again. It has been another two days... They don't seem too eager about communicating.