Safari 3.1 sees improved form support in latest beta

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    xdanielxdaniel Posts: 29member
    I've never had any problem with Safari crashing. That is, until I updated Flash from Adobe's Web Site. I noticed the version that had come with Safari (3.04) wasn't the newest, so I updated. After the updated, I had some occasional crashes. Luckily, after a reinstall of 10.4.11 and all updates, the problem was fixed. Now back too excellent stability.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    WebKit build r31157 from Wednesday 19/03/2008 now has Full Page Zoom, a functionality that is the Firefox 3 betas and has been in IE 7 and Opera 9. It's quite useful for those of use with high res displays.

PS: This Terminal command will make all links that try to open up in a new Window to instead open up in a new Tab when using Safari 3.1:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

• Reply 83 of 91
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

WebKit build r31157 from Wednesday 19/03/2008 now has Full Page Zoom, a functionality that is the Firefox 3 betas and has been in IE 7 and Opera 9. It's quite useful for those of use with high res displays.

PS: This Terminal command will make all links that try to open up in a new Window to instead open up in a new Tab when using Safari 3.1:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

Has it fixed the new slowness of the browser I'm experiencing? The older version 3.0.4 was faster. Now, virtually every page has a hesitation of up to 15 seconds before resolving itself.

Also, I now have crashes every time I get a PDF. Never had that problem before.
  • Reply 84 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Has it fixed the new slowness of the browser I'm experiencing? The older version 3.0.4 was faster. Now, virtually every page has a hesitation of up to 15 seconds before resolving itself.

Also, I now have crashes every time I get a PDF. Never had that problem before.

That amy be an issue with Safari 3.1 and not the WebKit engine. The WebKit call the Safari front-end when you run them so About says the version of Safari you are running and keeps your history and bookmarks. The only visual change is the icon, which now has a golden ring around it.

It won't affect the WebKit engine built into Safari so I'd give one a try... or go back to 3.04.

PS: I DL every and run every WebKit build and never these issues (was just ina 2.2MB PDF with no issues, too). Something is really "hinky" with your system. Are you experiencing it on more than one Mac?
  • Reply 85 of 91
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

That amy be an issue with Safari 3.1 and not the WebKit engine. The WebKit call the Safari front-end when you run them so About says the version of Safari you are running and keeps your history and bookmarks. The only visual change is the icon, which now has a golden ring around it.

It won't affect the WebKit engine built into Safari so I'd give one a try... or go back to 3.04.

PS: I DL every and run every WebKit build and never these issues (was just ina 2.2MB PDF with no issues, too). Something is really "hinky" with your system. Are you experiencing it on more than one Mac?

I've seen it on several Macs. My system if fine. Firefox has neither of those problems (as usual).
  • Reply 86 of 91
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    safari messes up with gmail 1 or 2 (old or new version)

old version autofill in for addresses doesn't work

new version shift key puts text in subject line

get with the program SAFARI
  • Reply 87 of 91
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Sure it's Safari that is the problem? Sometimes it's the web application (ie. gmail in this case) and not Safari.
  • Reply 88 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Sure it's Safari that is the problem? Sometimes it's the web application (ie. gmail in this case) and not Safari.

I use Gmail.com every day and never have an issue. I just checked to see if contacts will autofill with find-as-you-type in the address bar. Assuming that is what the OP is referring to, It works like a charm for me.
  • Reply 89 of 91
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

I use Gmail.com every day and never have an issue. I just checked to see if contacts will autofill with find-as-you-type in the address bar. Assuming that is what the OP is referring to, It works like a charm for me.

I did remember Google recently saying they'd made gmail more Safari compatible but since I've never used gMail, or ever been inclined to use it, I'd not really have noticed.
  • Reply 90 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I did remember Google recently saying they'd made gmail more Safari compatible but since I've never used gMail, or ever been inclined to use it, I'd not really have noticed.

It's seems to a problem with Google not fully supporting KHTML...
    "To take advantage of the newest Gmail features, you'll need to use one of the following fully supported browsers:

— Firefox 2.0

— Internet Explorer 7.0

You can also get access Gmail -- but you won't have some of the latest features -- with any of the following browsers:

— IE 5.5+

— Netscape 7.1+

— Mozilla 1.4+

— Firefox 0.8+

— Safari 1.3+"

Supported Browsers for Gmail

"However, being a less widely known browser, many websites fail to support KHTML or claim no support even if the site does work correctly in Konqueror. Gmail, for instance, only works if Konqueror reports itself as Firefox (see UA Spoofing)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KHTML
    PS: Using the Develop Menu Bar option in Safari Preferences I checked all the User Agents and Safari 3.1 for Mac seems to work fine with Gmail. If we had more information we could test specific actions and submit any issues to Google as I don't think they are against making Gmail more KHTML compatible.
  • Reply 91 of 91
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

It's seems to a problem with Google not fully supporting KHTML...
    "To take advantage of the newest Gmail features, you'll need to use one of the following fully supported browsers:

? Firefox 2.0

? Internet Explorer 7.0

You can also get access Gmail -- but you won't have some of the latest features -- with any of the following browsers:

? IE 5.5+

? Netscape 7.1+

? Mozilla 1.4+

? Firefox 0.8+

? Safari 1.3+"

? Supported Browsers for Gmail

"However, being a less widely known browser, many websites fail to support KHTML or claim no support even if the site does work correctly in Konqueror. Gmail, for instance, only works if Konqueror reports itself as Firefox (see UA Spoofing)."

? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KHTML
    PS: Using the Develop Menu Bar option in Safari Preferences I checked all the User Agents and Safari 3.1 for Mac seems to work fine with Gmail. If we had more information we could test specific actions and submit any issues to Google as I don't think they are against making Gmail more KHTML compatible.

i tried that "develop menu bar"but all the "user agents" was greyed out so how do i do this

neither old or new versin works completely, if one will auto fill, then when i use shift key it puts stuff in the subject line. one version doens't fill in automatically now i have to use FF