Investors probe Apple's Jobs on successor, games, future products

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 80
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    How about the fact that Quicken, TurboTax and QuickBooks are being rewritten in Cocoa for an example?



    That's nice. Especially since we're now on our fifth major version of OS X, and this should have been started a long while ago. The Intel announcement was made three years ago. Intuit is dead last among the major software houses to make the switch.



    By the way, the version of Quicken due this fall is said not to have investment capabilities.

    That release will be fun to watch.
  • Reply 42 of 80
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    What's wrong with all of you? They have a "home server" it's called a mac mini with OS X Leopard Server. They make a SERVER OS for a reason.



    A "mini home" version of the xserve? that defeats the whole freaking point of a rack server! It's designed to be thin, run the fastest processors money can buy, with the most memory, and the max disk space. So if you want that in a smaller package just add +$2000.00 + XServe price. Sound like a "home server" you want?



    Home servers are only good at serving up stuff in your house (which any freaking computer can do already) or even your $249 apple tv.



    Even in Japan with the super high speed connection, and upload bandwidth, people don't use a bunch of home servers. There's a reason datacenters exist.



    If you need to backup all your home data, why not go with macmini + external hard drive solution, seriously i don't get what you are looking for? An Airport Extreme + Time Capsule + Crappy Low end computer = $1500 at least...
  • Reply 43 of 80
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Lots of CEOs are in their 50s so I don't know why all this obsession about his successor. Maybe it's not about age but about losing someone with such valuable instincts about user interfaces and what people want.
  • Reply 44 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,773member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post


    What's wrong with all of you? They have a "home server" it's called a mac mini with OS X Leopard Server. They make a SERVER OS for a reason.



    A "mini home" version of the xserve? that defeats the whole freaking point of a rack server! It's designed to be thin, run the fastest processors money can buy, with the most memory, and the max disk space. So if you want that in a smaller package just add +$2000.00 + XServe price. Sound like a "home server" you want?



    Home servers are only good at serving up stuff in your house (which any freaking computer can do already) or even your $249 apple tv.



    Even in Japan with the super high speed connection, and upload bandwidth, people don't use a bunch of home servers. There's a reason datacenters exist.



    If you need to backup all your home data, why not go with macmini + external hard drive solution, seriously i don't get what you are looking for? An Airport Extreme + Time Capsule + Crappy Low end computer = $1500 at least...



    While you are basically correct as things stand, I'd point out the average Joe would be unable to figure out how to use OS X Leopard Server. Perhaps a 'Home' version would be possible. Think of iLife compared with the Pro Apps in terms of a simpler interface. I could see a simple drag and drop type set up which allowed anyone to set up services with no need to know FTP from HTTP or perhaps a self configuring system that 'just worked'. As to what this 'Home Server' would run on ... that's an interesting thought. It could be something like the ATV or a higher level of AE, it simply needs to be on 24/7 and with a basic Mac built in. This would be very easy for Apple to come up with you would think. Perhaps 'Airport Extreme Take Two'
  • Reply 45 of 80
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    For home use, could Leo be used as a server? \
  • Reply 46 of 80
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    While you are basically correct as things stand, I'd point out the average Joe would be unable to figure out how to use OS X Leopard Server. Perhaps a 'Home' version would be possible. Think of iLife compared with the Pro Apps in terms of a simpler interface. I could see a simple drag and drop type set up which allowed anyone to set up services with no need to know FTP from HTTP or perhaps a self configuring system that 'just worked'. As to what this 'Home Server' would run on ... that's an interesting thought. It could be something like the ATV or a higher level of AE, it simply needs to be on 24/7 and with a basic Mac built in. This would be very easy for Apple to come up with you would think. Perhaps 'Airport Extreme Take Two'



    I've got one set up using regular leopard and an iBook, but I am the only person in the house that knows how to use it. It would be nice if you could integrate iCal between the whole family, just things like that.
  • Reply 47 of 80
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    How about the fact that Quicken, TurboTax and QuickBooks are being rewritten in Cocoa for an example?



    How 'bout the fact that the current version of TurboTax doesn't behave like an normal Mac app? For a couple of years now (definitely Tiger and Leopard, and maybe even Jaguar), if you tried to install or update an app as a non-admin user, you get a chance to authenticate as an admin if you have an admin username/passwd. Not with TurboTax!



    This little convenience appears in every app I've seen even if it was written by one guy. I can't see why TurboTax can't do the same. And even if they don't want to make that ability available, they ought to provide a clear error message that explains that you must have admin privileges to do the operation. I was lucky that I could figure out the cryptic error messages when they came flying at me during the update.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

    Jobs pointed out that the consumer market is bigger than the business market, and that Apple is focusing on getting its products in front of consumers because individuals are more receptive to new things. Business users work behind "gatekeeper" CIOs, who restrict what gets purchased. In the consumer market, "everyone gets to choose," and many are bringing their Macs into business environments in a way that is accelerating business adoption of Macs.



    He has it backwards. First, big businesses buy more computers in a single month than most people buy in their entire lives. Second, employees often want to buy the same computer for home as they use as work, for compatibility reasons. So shouldn't Apple's approach be to provide businesses with more incentives to actively buy and support Macs, which will in turn convince their employees to buy Macs for home? Wouldn't this work a lot better than the 'rogue' approach where employees secretly bring iPhones and Mac laptops to work in the hopes of getting support from the IT department?
  • Reply 49 of 80
    archer75archer75 Posts: 204member
    If apple wants to get serious about gaming we need to be able to upgrade the video card in the consumer level macs.

    Apple should have no problem building a consumer level tower for under $1000 and still make a killer profit on it and allow us the ability to upgrade our video cards.



    The video card offering in an imac is weak at best and I don't need a monitor. I already own both a 20" and 24" LCD. The Mac Pro is a workstation and not a consumer level machine and the mac mini simply isn't powerful enough for gaming.



    I just want a Core 2 Duo/quad with standard DDR2/DDR3 ram tower and video cards available right off the shelf for it.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    archer75archer75 Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post


    What's wrong with all of you? They have a "home server" it's called a mac mini with OS X Leopard Server. They make a SERVER OS for a reason.



    A "mini home" version of the xserve? that defeats the whole freaking point of a rack server! It's designed to be thin, run the fastest processors money can buy, with the most memory, and the max disk space. So if you want that in a smaller package just add +$2000.00 + XServe price. Sound like a "home server" you want?



    Home servers are only good at serving up stuff in your house (which any freaking computer can do already) or even your $249 apple tv.



    Even in Japan with the super high speed connection, and upload bandwidth, people don't use a bunch of home servers. There's a reason datacenters exist.



    If you need to backup all your home data, why not go with macmini + external hard drive solution, seriously i don't get what you are looking for? An Airport Extreme + Time Capsule + Crappy Low end computer = $1500 at least...



    Mac mini for a home server? No where near enough storage. I'm running Windows Home Server now with 2.5tb of storage and I need another hard drive soon. And I built it for far less than $1500.
  • Reply 51 of 80
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post


    If apple wants to get serious about gaming we need to be able to upgrade the video card in the consumer level macs.



    Good luck with that. I'd settle for just being able to upgrade the hard drive.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    archer75archer75 Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    Good luck with that. I'd settle for just being able to upgrade the hard drive.



    As far as I know the hard drive can be upgraded in the mini and imacs.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post


    As far as I know the hard drive can be upgraded in the mini and imacs.



    Not easily. For the iMac, it requires removing the glass pane in front of the LCD, introducing the possibility of lint to get into the screen, so it's not plausible for a user to replace his or her own HDD. You'd think Apple could have designed the iMac with a slide-out tray for replacing the HDD, no?



    For the MacMini, it's a matter of wedging the case apart with a spackler... also not a user-friendly upgrade.



    As for user-replaceable graphics, I agree (with amendment) that Apple will never become serious about gaming until it offers a reasonably-priced tower. Certainly there are many people who could give a rat's ass about gaming. iMacs and MacMinis are perfect for these people. However there is still a large demographic of "gamers" (67% of heads-of-households play games on their computers regularly) who would potentially be interested in such a machine. Not every person who uses a Mac cares about AIO-simplicity (iMac), miniturization (MacMini) or editing feature films (MacPro). Some people need the simplicity of OS X AND the ability to use their computers for what they want. Yes, there are people who KNOW how to get the most out of a computer based on THEIR needs, and not those of Apple's forced ecosystem. It's insulting to those of use who actually know a crap about computers.



    -Clive
  • Reply 54 of 80
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kb9uwu View Post


    wouldn't a tone be 60hz, 600hz, or 6000hz?



    You're right. I Mega messed that one up.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    My question now... was $200 AAPL's last hurrah?



    Do you believe the stock will be locked in around $150?180 for several years, or is it all downhill from here? With Steve's successor being called into question, the sub-prime disaster sending the US economy into an extended funk, possible unfriendly capital gains tax measures under a Clinton or Obama presidency (not guaranteed, mind you)... where do you see AAPL over the next one to five years?
  • Reply 56 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    My question now... was $200 AAPL's last hurrah?



    Do you believe the stock will be locked in around $150?180 for several years, or is it all downhill from here? With Steve's successor being called into question, the sub-prime disaster sending the US economy into an extended funk, possible unfriendly capital gains tax measures under a Clinton or Obama presidency (not guaranteed, mind you)... where do you see AAPL over the next one to five years?



    Eh, honestly, I presume the "successor" comments to be basically forgotten a couple months from now. I expect Jobs to stay with Apple for at least another 5 years.



    As for the economy, there's nothing really we can do about it no matter who the president is. Sure there are little stabs at things the government can make, but should we enter a full-fledged recession, there isn't much we can do.



    As for things right now, I am unconvinced that we are actually in a recession, though the potential certainly is there. Even if the
  • Reply 57 of 80
    geekstudgeekstud Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    While you are basically correct as things stand, I'd point out the average Joe would be unable to figure out how to use OS X Leopard Server. Perhaps a 'Home' version would be possible. Think of iLife compared with the Pro Apps in terms of a simpler interface. I could see a simple drag and drop type set up which allowed anyone to set up services with no need to know FTP from HTTP or perhaps a self configuring system that 'just worked'. As to what this 'Home Server' would run on ... that's an interesting thought. It could be something like the ATV or a higher level of AE, it simply needs to be on 24/7 and with a basic Mac built in. This would be very easy for Apple to come up with you would think. Perhaps 'Airport Extreme Take Two'



    This product, which I have been advocating to Apple for several years, is needed to form the base of today's modern multi-computer home. The new Time Machine network base station or hanging a USB drive off of an Airport Extreme is a start toward the solution, but still lacks some important server functionality such as providing a common "home directory" for each user that can be accessed from multiple devices. Rather than a more traditional fixed "home directory" server scheme, I envision more of a core home directory component with (possibly) multiple additional segments located on various external devices that are synced up like a laptop when within the home LAN.



    Here are some "simple" things I would like to be able to do with this product in a home with the following collection of Apple products:



    - 1 x Apple Home Server

    - 2 x Macbooks

    - 2 x iMac, one newer Intel, one older G4/G5

    - 2 x iPhone

    - 1 x iPod Nano



    1. I'd like each of five members of the family to have a central user account setup with a home directory on the server with easy to administer storage limits so the kids can't accidentally fill the storage space.



    2. Each user should be able to login (if permitted) to each desktop/laptop using a single username/password sign-on that would give access to the central server storage. For example, the kids would be able to login to the iMacs and one of the Macbooks, but not the other "work" Macbook.



    3. Each user can optionally also be designated a "local user" to each desktop/laptop with additional local storage and access to the device outside of the home LAN. So, Mom would be both a local user on her Macbook but would also have central storage space available when on the home LAN, and could optionally designate some of the local storage to be synced (for backup, general use, etc.) when at home (or triggered over an Internet connection).



    4. Easy central sharing of iTunes, iPhotos, iMovies, etc. that works seamlessly across all devices.



    5. Easy sharing of multiple Address Books (like multiple calendars online): imagine a central "family" Address Book than every device should by synced to as well as local user additions to it that remain separately controlled.



    Much of this functionally can be put together using a combination of existing server products and plenty of blood, sweat and tears. I don't want that anymore - and I'm a 20 year IT systems geek. I want the average non-geek home user to be able to set this up with some mouse clicks. Simply put, I want Apple to deliver the home server solution "For the rest of Us" at an obtainable price. This product space is wide open and waiting for Apple to deliver it with elegant design and engineering that makes it look easy.
  • Reply 58 of 80
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post


    Eh, honestly, I presume the "successor" comments to be basically forgotten a couple months from now. I expect Jobs to stay with Apple for at least another 5 years.



    As for the economy, there's nothing really we can do about it no matter who the president is. Sure there are little stabs at things the government can make, but should we enter a full-fledged recession, there isn't much we can do.



    As for things right now, I am unconvinced that we are actually in a recession, though the potential certainly is there. Even if the



    OMG... they killed him mid-sentence!
  • Reply 59 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    OMG... they killed him mid-sentence!



    hahaha and my head landed on "submit!"



    Actually Safari for Windows routinely eats my posts, which is a complete suck-fest because it only happens when I actually write something lengthy and potentially profound... then I can't remember which words I so eloquently chose.



    So anyway, I was basically going to say that Apple's growth has been exceeding that of the industry. That's a very good sign. I predict that within 2, maybe 3 years we'll be seeing $200 again, recession or not.



    I'm no expert though, so I don't actually know anything.



    -Clive
  • Reply 60 of 80
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    It would be nice if you got the facts right.



    Hell, it would be nice if he just shut up about SJ not "undertaking" higher education all the damn time.



    I get the feeling he's one of those part-time retail clerks with multiple advanced degrees, who tells people he belongs to MENSA and lives with his Mom.

Sign In or Register to comment.