Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 chasing Apple's Safari

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    This might be a little off topic but...

I have found a website that only seems to work with IE. Every-time I go to the site it tells me

"This document is a Single File Web Page, also known as a Web Archive file. If you are seeing this message, your browser or editor doesn't support Web Archive files. Please download a browser that supports Web Archive, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer."

Why is it that this only works on IE
  • Reply 42 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

This might be a little off topic but...

I have found a website that only seems to work with IE. Every-time I go to the site it tells me

"This document is a Single File Web Page, also known as a Web Archive file. If you are seeing this message, your browser or editor doesn't support Web Archive files. Please download a browser that supports Web Archive, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer."

Why is it that this only works on IE

Posting the site here would help in getting the best possible answer.

It's likely MHTML which MS tried to make a standard about a decade or so ago. I don't thnk any browser outside of IE supports it.

If you hold down the option key you can down the page and read it with a 3rd party app.

edit:

Here is a MacOSXHints tip for reading MHTML files.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Ah, no argument there. But I was thinking more along the lines of designing pages which are actually compatible with the various browsers without a need for multiple style sheets. And using various conditional selector 'hacks' you can build in support for older IE browsers without losing validation or breaking things up. I guess it depends on the work you are doing.

IE7 finally offers excellent CSS support and implementation, though the box model (as you probably know well) is still jacked up a bit. CSS2 introduced a whole new mess of bugs and Microsoft has a lot of work to get proper support going in that area. There's no sense in talking about CSS3 just yet.

I'm enjoying my Mac without Microsoft software. Safari is faster and I'm happy with that on my iPhone and Mac Mini.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Acid3 says otherwise: http://acid3.acidtests.org/
  • Reply 45 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Says what otherwise?
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Acid 3? Internet Explorer has a lot of way to go before it can tackle Acid 2.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    It seems like Microsoft is simply keeping IE8 around to prop up Microsoft's web sites with browser integration. Look at all the features that link to Microsoft-owned or partly Microsoft-owned sites - search, maps, Facebook, etc. There is no other reason for Microsoft to keep its browser around, given that Microsoft has failed in creating its own proprietary web standards. Why Microsoft doesn't just start offering a rebranded version of Firefox with some Live.com extensions is beyond me.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    I hate them. I hate them. I hate them. They make me sick.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    2 pages and nobody picked up on this -

"We're releasing Silverlight on more and more mobile platforms, said Scott Guthrie, Microsoft's Corporate Vice President, Developer Division. "We'll release it on anything with an SDK."

Anyone want to take bets on them developing an iPhone version of Silverlight?
  • Reply 50 of 59
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Oh man, and I was hoping IE will be dead in a couple of years. I just freakin hate it cause MSoft make some stupid unnessary stuffs into it, such as reorganizing the layout, when you click open a new tab, it will have some stuffs written in it and this slows down opening multiple tabs.

MSoft should just kill IE and let Firefox replace it for good (at least they dont need to spend time improving their lame browser).
  • Reply 51 of 59
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't believe IE7 has full CSS2 support. In usual MS fashion they will add some of the more common and popular CCS3 support, but that is it. I can't even find evidence that IE8 will fully support CSS2.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/ie8wh...?ReleaseId=568

IE8 is due to fully support CSS2.1 in standards mode.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

2 pages and nobody picked up on this -

"We're releasing Silverlight on ... anything with an SDK.[/b]"

Posts 26 and 31 make mention of it.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Posts 26 and 31 make mention of it.

And thats what I get for skim-reading the thread!
  • Reply 54 of 59
    The title of this article makes me chuckle.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    I was a beta tester for IE 7. I filed a bug report that they hadn't implemented position:fixed, and in response, they implemented it. This is why IE7 knows about position:fixed but Visual Studio 2005 does not. In the last six months, Microsoft has updated its Partner web site so that it renders correctly in non-Microsoft browsers.

Microsoft doesn't make software for users any more. It's trying to buddy up with the companies that got it in trouble. It makes platforms for its buddies so that they can make solutions for the enterprise. The enterprise wants custom web-based applications that employees can access from any computer and any browser. A web-based solution that locks out anything but Microsoft is no solution at all. So this isn't about Microsoft being nice, it is about Microsoft having a business need. What is really interesting is that their business need is to conform to standards. Hm.

My 945-page web site is in validated XHMTL 1.1. It renders the same in all browsers. I only need two CSS work-arounds for IE 6, none for anything else, not even IE 7.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Can someone point out to me what is the point of the Acid tests besides bragging rights...

This explains it well and shows what WebKit is doing to pass the tests and be more standards compliant.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I remember a few years ago when Microsoft said they were not going to make future versions of Internet Explorer as stand-alone applications. If we wanted the newest version of Internet Explorer we were going to have to buy the newest version of Windows to get it. Firefox shows up and Windows XP gets IE7 and now IE8, focusing on standards, has been released as a public beta.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

I remember a few years ago when Microsoft said they were not going to make future versions of Internet Explorer as stand-alone applications. If we wanted the newest version of Internet Explorer we were going to have to buy the newest version of Windows to get it. Firefox shows up and Windows XP gets IE7 and now IE8, focusing on standards, has been released as a public beta.

I remember "Longhorn" was supposed to be out a few years ago, too. "Microsoft said...".....it almost sounds like you believe what Microsoft says.
  • Reply 59 of 59
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    DIE IE (InternetExplorer)!!! DIE!!!!!!! WHY WONT YOU JUST DIE!!!!!. *Sorry for all the caps