Teardown: a look inside Apple's Time Capsule backup appliance

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I guess the Marvell C500 is based around the XScale ARM chip?

Still, with 16MB of firmware, the OS is probably proprietary. Unlikely to be anything based upon OS X however.

Of course, I guess that the Unix underpinnings of OS X could be used, as none of the GUI or sound stuff would be required. Then again, that would just be the BSD on Mach XNU stuff.

Anyone want to take a look inside the firmware?

Is it possible to hack/ pull the firmware from the TC and put it in an AEBS? I am not nearly savvy enough to do it, but I'd be very interested if someone could.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    wcg66wcg66 Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Old news, AI. HardMac and NakedMac posted pictures and analysis last week, along with the revelation that the HDD inside wasn't actually "Server Grade."

Way to miss the boat.

This is the first teardown article I noticed and I liked it, so, good work AI.

You, apparently, read the other two and now a third. Certainly there's enough room for more than one.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    bjojadebjojade Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Given that the Time Capsule can act as a base station and network router, is there any reason to want to buy an Apple Extreme, other than price?

No, you really don't need both units at all. If you don't need the internal drive for Time Machine, then the regular airport is fine.

The only reason you'd need more than one unit is if you needed additional range in your install. The range on these units is excellent though, so that's not going to present much of an issue in most homes.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

The only reason you'd need more than one unit is if you needed additional range in your install. The range on these units is excellent though, so that's not going to present much of an issue in most homes.

Speaking of range. I'd like to see some reports of speeds and ranges between TC and AEBS.