Push email systems from RIM, Apple set to square off

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 62
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by telusman View Post

I can name one good example as to why i wouldn't want to wait for an e-mail. I work in a world class hosting facility, our SLA is 100% uptime, we can't afford downtime, it's absolutely mission critical. If the net eng's are offsite and something goes south or a customer is unhappy, we need to respond to that immediately, not when our device polls again. Push e-mail has not just perceptually changed the way business is done, it actually has allowed people to respond faster to issues, critical or otherwise while remote. It's allowed sales to follow leads faster and potentially gain more sales.. The list could go on.

When Blackberry itself goes south for several hours however... Well, thats when activsync would still lets us talk to our servers...

If instant vs. 30 second polling is important as you say, why are you trusting server downtime notification to email? I know several people with jobs like this, and they don't trust it to email - they all carry pagers with more reliable uptime that was meant for emergency notification.

I still believe the world will get along just fine without push email and that it only offers a perceived value rather than actual. The two examples provided have not changed my opinion.
  • Reply 62 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

If instant vs. 30 second polling is important as you say, why are you trusting server downtime notification to email? I know several people with jobs like this, and they don't trust it to email - they all carry pagers with more reliable uptime that was meant for emergency notification.

I still believe the world will get along just fine without push email and that it only offers a perceived value rather than actual. The two examples provided have not changed my opinion.

Spoken like someone with no experience with push email, and questionable experience with mobile phones and email in general.

Gustav, you believe the world would get along just fine without push email, but you made no argument as to why. All you did was insult people who use push email and then get upset when someone called you an idiot for doing so.

People of all ages and all walks of life spend an enormous amount of money on text messaging. The Blackberry does one thing, push email, and it's the most popular smart phone. You're asking people to waste their time explaining these realities to you, and it's not going to happen.

And you suggested that a phone can simply poll every minute or every five minutes, so you obviously don't understand that this type of polling is bad in general and simply not acceptable where network and battery are limited, as they are on a mobile phone.

I will offer this, however: if you are expecting an important message from a colleague or friend or family there is immense value in *trusting* that the message has or has not arrived simply by looking at your phone. If you can't understand why this is then you need to do some research for yourself.