MacBook Air software update targets ongoing freezing issues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    WHY is Apple so conservative with fan speeds? Is completely silent operation really worth higher running temperatures and unstable systems?

I use SMCFanControl on both of my Macs. My Macbook Pro used to get extremely hot when just *idle* doing nothing but web surfing and IMing. Cranking the fan speed to 1500RPM (from 1000) made it a lot cooler, and I can't even hear the difference.

My Mac Pro was reporting temperatures near 100C for the motherboard chipset and the controllers on the FBDIMMs. Cranking the default minimum fan speed to 900RPM from the default 500 dropped the temperatures drastically. Almost no perceptible noise difference.

Come on Apple, run your fans a bit faster. Cooler systems are more reliable systems.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netdog View Post

That's a load of crap. Duos had loads of troubles. Power Macs were notorious for their problems. They never for the 7100 or 6100 sorted. Quadras had loads of issues. G5 towers had enormous heat problems and then the water-cooled ones sprang leaks.

This good ole days stuff is for the birds. We just didn't have such large forums to hear reports from the field. Wake up.

Where are your stats to back this up? What problems exactly did all these Macs have? I had a Duo 280c, Power Mac G3, and a Quadra 650 and none of them had any problems. The G5 towers did not have enormous heat problems as they ran cooler than the Power Mac G4's. The G5 liquid cooling models have had reports of leaking after years of use, but it is a radiator inside and the seals won't last forever.

I currently have an iMac G5 20" (iSight), iMac G4 17" 1 GHz, PowerBook G4 15" 867 MHz, and an LC 575. All of them are rock solid and none of them have had any problems whatsoever. Even the LC 575, which is 14 years old, runs flawlessly.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    It should be noted that we only see these problems on Macs and not other brands (so much) because it is the Mac users that whine loudest. This has a lot to do with brand recognition, and we see all the more with handy sites like MacFixIt to turn to. There is no ToshibaFixIt following the latest hit Toshiba products and their problems. I work enough with new PCs, though, to know that they all have their own issues, too, and they tend to be far worse than almost anything we see and far more common.

That said, yes, it seems like Apple has been seeing a few more problems lately [but it should be noted that problems of this sort trail all the way back to the first computers -- we just have short memories]. I wonder why that is happening? Maybe they are getting a bit too far ahead of themselves. Of course people here will whine one way or the other. "OMG! Leopard was delayed! Apple is the new Vista!!!111" or "OMG! Leopard has bugz! Apple is the new Vista!!!111"

My 3.2GHz Mac Pro sometimes reboots instead of waking from sleep. At least I know this is a known issue and that it is affecting many people. I probably don't have to put up with it too long until it is fixed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

and not a thought of a problem with the mini!

Mini's launch problem was wireless connectivity, if I recall correctly.

I remember owning one of the Minis with the wireless issue. Leopard fixed it for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Where are your stats to back this up? What problems exactly did all these Macs have? I had a Duo 280c, Power Mac G3, and a Quadra 650 and none of them had any problems. The G5 towers did not have enormous heat problems as they ran cooler than the Power Mac G4's. The G5 liquid cooling models have had reports of leaking after years of use, but it is a radiator inside and the seals won't last forever.

I should point out that I believe Apple makes the finest quality of products in the computer market -- hands down. The issues we see here are nothing compared to problems other brands experience. That said, you should actually do some research yourself before getting too flustered about this. Even a trip through the MacFixIt shows the occasional bumps Apple has had to overcome with new releases. Fortunately it also documents the rather excellent solutions they came up with to solve these problems. My Macbook ran hot when I first got it, just like many other people reported. I didn't think much of it because it still ran cooler than most Windows laptops. Apple released a few updates over the months and now the thing runs so cool I hardly even notice it -- and our whiney Mac community started bitching about actually being able to hear the fans! New technology comes at the price of occasional hiccups and that is just the way of life.

It sounds like you are defending a one-year failure of the liquid cooling system in a G5 due to the inclusion of a radiator. I hope you don't consider something like that to be acceptable! Fortunately liquid cooling system failures in G5s were extremely rare, and the chance of a person actually encountering them was quite slim.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Having a bad day?

NO- he's just keeping it "real".

MacWorld has just given the MacBook Air only 3 1/2 stars- hardly a good review.

Basically the only thing they like is the weight- BFD.

A slow overpriced piece of s*$t!
  • Reply 25 of 58
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh for crying out loud! The MacBook Air is easily the fastest, and amongst the cheapest, 3 lb laptop on the market.

To make it any faster, Apple would have had to use larger, more power-hungry chips, making the whole machine bigger and heavier, resulting in... a MacBook! Oh wait, they already make one of those.

The whole point of the Air is to expand Apple's range of offerings. Are you a Mac user? Do you have a MacBook? If so, great, you are not in the Air's target market, so don't expect to like it.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Where are your stats to back this up? What problems exactly did all these Macs have?

Well... I've had pretty much every model of Macintosh since 1997... hazard of the job. There are plenty of issues, from serious ones like the data corruption with ATA drives in the first two generations of the B&W G3 (ATA controller bug), various motherboard problems (iBook, 1st gen Intel portable Macs), display cable issues (eMac), to more operational glitches like G5 fan control problems (excessive repeated cycling, heat sensor of the drive bay in the wrong place where it won't adequately cool the drive bays), to cosmetic stuff like the paint pealing on almost all Titanium G4 PowerBooks.

With that said, we are talking about high tech equipment that sometimes goes through the worst abuse. Apple does have excellent quality control with respect to its peers, but that doesn't say all that much since the overall glitch level is pretty high. I do not like the warranty coverage that Apple provides as default or with AppleCare - it should be better (more onsite options for consumers, option for complete coverage, not just manufacturer defect, etc.) As with buying any 1st gen high tech product from pretty much anyone, if you buy the first few off the production line, expect issues, whether it be computers, cars, or fighter planes. Care the see the pages and pages of errata on the Intel Core line of chips?
  • Reply 27 of 58
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

WHY is Apple so conservative with fan speeds? Is completely silent operation really worth higher running temperatures and unstable systems?

I use SMCFanControl on both of my Macs. My Macbook Pro used to get extremely hot when just *idle* doing nothing but web surfing and IMing. Cranking the fan speed to 1500RPM (from 1000) made it a lot cooler, and I can't even hear the difference.

My Mac Pro was reporting temperatures near 100C for the motherboard chipset and the controllers on the FBDIMMs. Cranking the default minimum fan speed to 900RPM from the default 500 dropped the temperatures drastically. Almost no perceptible noise difference.

Come on Apple, run your fans a bit faster. Cooler systems are more reliable systems.

They want the quietest machine possible in the smallest package with the fastest CPU. When you do that, you're dealing with razor thin margins.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Oh for crying out loud! The MacBook Air is easily the fastest, and amongst the cheapest, 3 lb laptop on the market.

To make it any faster, Apple would have had to use larger, more power-hungry chips, making the whole machine bigger and heavier, resulting in... a MacBook! Oh wait, they already make one of those.

The whole point of the Air is to expand Apple's range of offerings. Are you a Mac user? Do you have a MacBook? If so, great, you are not in the Air's target market, so don't expect to like it.

An totally unnecessary product. Go lift some weights if 5 lbs is too heavy for you.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:

An totally unnecessaray product. Go lift some weights if 5 lbs is too heavy for you.

So all laptops under 5 lbs are unnecessary products? Why do so many manufacturers sell them then?
  • Reply 30 of 58
    Quote:

So all laptops under 5 lbs are unnecessary products? Why do so many manufacturers sell them then?

No- only ones where function is sacrificed over form. Ask MacWorld who wrote the review and gave it only 3 1/2 stars, not me.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:

No- only ones where function is sacrificed over form. Ask MacWorld who wrote the review and gave it only 3 1/2 stars, not me.

You were the one who called it "slow" and "overpriced". Compared to other 3 lb laptops, it is neither of those things. You also say that the MacBook Air is an "unnecessary" product, because if 5 lbs is too heavy, you should go do some weight-training. But then you come back to me and say that that criticism is specially reserved for the MacBook Air (you say other laptops under 5 lbs are not unnecessary products).

You need to brush-up on your logical-reasoning skills and get your criticisms straight.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:

You were the one who called it "slow" and "overpriced". Compared to other 3 lb laptops, it is neither of those things. You also say that the MacBook Air is an "unnecessary" product, because if 5 lbs is too heavy, you should go do some weight-training. But then you come back to me and say that that criticism is specially reserved for the MacBook Air (you say other laptops under 5 lbs are not unnecessary products).

You need to brush-up on your logical-reasoning skills and get your criticisms straight.

You need to face the fact that MacWorld has given it only 3 1/2 mouse rating - the WORST rating of any APPLE product in its line.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    Quote:

You need to face the fact that MacWorld has given it only 3 1/2 mouse rating - the WORST rating of any APPLE product in its line.

3 1/2 is still above average though, isn't it?

A poor product would be given less than 3 stars.

All I'm saying to you is that you aren't in the target market for the MacBook Air (neither am I for that matter), and it's tiresome to read you repeating the same old nonsensical criticisms of it. It is not slow and it is not over-priced, and these facts won't change no matter how many times you repeat it.

What is true is that in order to deliver a faster processor, larger screen and larger keyboard than other 3 lb laptops, Apple left out several ports and the optical drive, and are using an integrated battery. Will this be a problem for them? Have they misjudged the market? Do people consider the slow speed and small screen and keyboard size of other ultra-portables to be a big enough problem that they are willing to sacrifice ports and an optical drive in order to get the faster processor, bigger screen and keyboard? I don't know. Time will tell.

What I do know is that it's time for you to stop calling the Air a slow overpriced piece of shit, because you are demonstrably wrong on all counts.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:

An totally unnecessary product. Go lift some weights if 5 lbs is too heavy for you.

If you can't find the good in the MBA then it is not the MBA's fault.

When you call the MBA a piece of something, what do you think of the people who purchase the MBA? Any better? I certainly can say with confidence that my MBA is not a piece of anything other than a good addition to my portable office and that it already enabled me to get a lot of quality work done. Yes, I am a pro user.

And yes, I can carry a 50-pound pack from the shore up to the peak of a 3000-foot mountain and consider it just a morning walk. Lighter is better.

BTW: "totally" is preceded by "a", not "an".
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

If you can't find the good in the MBA then it is not the MBA's fault.

Anything can be marketed. Anything awful can have a useful purpose to someone.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    Quote:

3 1/2 is still above average though, isn't it?

A poor product would be given less than 3 stars.

All I'm saying to you is that you aren't in the target market for the MacBook Air (neither am I for that matter), and it's tiresome to read you repeating the same old nonsensical criticisms of it. It is not slow and it is not over-priced, and these facts won't change no matter how many times you repeat it.

What is true is that in order to deliver a faster processor, larger screen and larger keyboard than other 3 lb laptops, Apple left out several ports and the optical drive, and are using an integrated battery. Will this be a problem for them? Have they misjudged the market? Do people consider the slow speed and small screen and keyboard size of other ultra-portables to be a big enough problem that they are willing to sacrifice ports and an optical drive in order to get the faster processor, bigger screen and keyboard? I don't know. Time will tell.

What I do know is that it's time for you to stop calling the Air a slow overpriced piece of shit, because you are demonstrably wrong on all counts.

MacWorld called it slow- not me. Wall street calls it overpriced- not me. And Tuneman07 was the one who started criticizing it - not me. Get your facts straight.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:

MacWorld called it slow- not me. Wall street calls it overpriced- not me.

Quote:

Quote:

And Tuneman07 was the one who started criticizing it - not me.

Did I say that you were the one in this thread to start criticising the Air? No. Another failure of your reading comprehension and reasoning skills.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:

Anything can be marketed. Anything awful can have a useful purpose to someone.

Or can some people find good when others can't or are unwilling?
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:

Did I say that you were the one in this thread to start criticising the Air? No. Another failure of your reading comprehension and reasoning skills.

Whenever you loose an argument or disagree with one's point of view, you constantly resort to criticize that person's grammar or vocabulary- not mentioning that ridiculous grammatical lesson watermarked on each of your postings. Whatever!

You inferred that I was the only one here bad mouthing the MBAir, which is full of s*&t!

Read the MacWorld review yourself and go come here and spin it as a good review.

The only failure I've had is responding to your preposterous postering of the MacBookAir.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:

Whenever you loose an argument or disagree with one's point of view, you constantly resort to criticize that person's grammar or vocabulary

O RLY?

Quote:

not mentioning that ridiculous grammatical lesson watermarked on each of your postings.

It's not a grammar lesson, it's a punctuation lesson.

Quote:

You inferred that I was the only one here bad mouthing the MBAir

I did no such thing. Yet again your reasoning skills are lacking.

Quote:

Read the MacWorld review yourself and go come here and spin it as a good review.

The verdict is 3.5 stars (above average) and offers both "Pros" and "Cons" of the machine.

All I've been trying to do here is get you to realise that the MacBook Air is neither slow nor over-priced when you compare it to the competition.