Apple updates AirPort Base Station software

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    hmmm, i had the screen on http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ for acouple of hours now. just came back to use my computer and refreshed website.

the Drivers Have been Removed from the Apple Downloads page.

wonder why ?

well, life goes on... \
  • Reply 22 of 27
    toddrtoddr Posts: 4member
    i could not get my time capsule to work as either a base station or as a wireless client (I have been using it connected to my MBP). 5.3.1 fixed this -- I got it to join my wireless network with about 2 minutes work (after spending several frustrating hours last week with no success).

my guess is that 5.3.1 is mostly about patching problems with the time capsules.

cheers,

todd.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    It's unfortunate that they didn't release a firmware or OS update fixing the numerous problems with WiFi hangs and dropouts. Thousands of people have reported problems, but no word on a fix yet.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Well, the update didn't help my cause any. My MBP still drops its network connection just minutes after going on battery and Time Machine will not offer the air drive as a backup drive. I can mount the air drive on my airport extreme base station and transfer files, but I could before the update. I assume that air tunes on my airport express still drops out as well, but I didn't test it.

I got all excited for nothin'.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMinnesotan View Post

Well, the update didn't help my cause any. My MBP still drops its network connection just minutes after going on battery and Time Machine will not offer the air drive as a backup drive. I can mount the air drive on my airport extreme base station and transfer files, but I could before the update. I assume that air tunes on my airport express still drops out as well, but I didn't test it.

I got all excited for nothin'.

I'm all done waiting for them to fix this, they apparently are forcing people onto the Time Capsule solution. I'll never buy another wireless router from them again.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    I downloaded and installed the update. Actually, I downloaded both Apple AirPort 5.3.1 and the Airport Base Station Update 2008-001. The files seemed to be exactly the same thing, since the downloaded files' sizes and names were exactly the same.

So, it seems to simply update the Airport Utility, nothing else. Not the base station firmware or anything major. It didn't even require a Restart or Logout.

I'd have expected Apple to release USB port activation in the AirPort Extreme Base Station. Apparently not.

I WISH Apple didn't treat us all like idiots and explain in detail exactly what these updates do.

What would it take to list what's being 'fixed' or updated in the ReadMe?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    djpadzdjpadz Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DayLight View Post

hmmm, i had the screen on http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ for acouple of hours now. just came back to use my computer and refreshed website.

the Drivers Have been Removed from the Apple Downloads page.

Looks like it's back on the downloads page, but Software Update isn't showing it (even though the Airport Utility is reporting that the newer version is available).