"Too much interest" in iPhone SDK presents challenges

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    When you have too many options, it is hard to find exactly what you're after. Apple hasn't handled that as well as it could in the past.

One of the reasons the AppleTV was so easy to use was that it did less. The iPhone was (is) the same way. In the end, you actually did more with the devices because they did less. Naturally enough if you could add JUST the one more thing you need it would remain easy - though that's not an option (and people tend to add everything in case they need it someday, which usually loses the simplicity again).

In a similar way, the AppleTV's new movie rental store is getting harder to browse. And podcasts certainly are difficult to identify (why can't I just see HD podcasts that are rated greater than 4.5 star?). Then again, the menu has 'issues' more fundamental than having lots of rentals.

Lets hope Apple steps up and makes an easier way of finding and integrating applications onto the iPhone. Encouraging development is important (and if half the iPhone developers also develop some apps for the Mac that would be a good thing). Quality control and ease of use is crucial.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    An NDA on freely-available public software like this just makes no sense. I mean, everyone in the world could download it, but no one is allowed to talk to each other about it? It almost sounds like they left the old NDA on from 2 weeks ago, before it went public. My guess is that it will be changed soon.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Lets hope Apple steps up and makes an easier way of finding and integrating applications onto the iPhone. Encouraging development is important (and if half the iPhone developers also develop some apps for the Mac that would be a good thing). Quality control and ease of use is crucial.

It is possible to use a url to link directly to stuff in the iTS. I'd assume the same will be possible for the iPhone app store. Clicking on the link takes you to the download page.

Thus, any website could easily provide their own recommended apps list or organization hierarchy. Websites already exist for iTS content. While they haven't proved wildly popular, I could see apps being different. "Good" vs "bad" tends to be less subjective for software then it does for music.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

It is possible to use a url to link directly to stuff in the iTS. I'd assume the same will be possible for the iPhone app store. Clicking on the link takes you to the download page.

Thus, any website could easily provide their own recommended apps list or organization hierarchy. Websites already exist for iTS content. While they haven't proved wildly popular, I could see apps being different. "Good" vs "bad" tends to be less subjective for software then it does for music.

That's very true. Especially useful when it can run directly on the iPhone (or AppleTV?).

It may actually be the future of "TV channels". I read or subscribe to "Robbie's Scifi Favourites" which links to all the stuff Rob loves... why not have thousands of private channels like that. "Discovery" is already just a collection of a certain class of high quality TV programs.

If we get thousands of applications - is it possible we could see an "AppleInsider iPhone Apps Store" which just lists the apps that AppleInsider likes?
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

An NDA on freely-available public software like this just makes no sense. I mean, everyone in the world could download it, but no one is allowed to talk to each other about it? It almost sounds like they left the old NDA on from 2 weeks ago, before it went public. My guess is that it will be changed soon.

Like, maybe, when it comes out of beta and everything is actually finalized. Remember, as beta software this is still officially an unfinished product. Apple could be justifiably wanting to keep control of lingering public perceptions about aspects of the system that very well might not be true once the software really is finished.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

You're probably just new to this kind of thing.

This is abosultly industry standard....
  • Reply 47 of 47
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

You're probably just new to this kind of thing.

This is abosultly industry standard....

It isn't. NDAs on free to download, open to anybody software? It's bizarre.

All you've got to be is a basic ADC member, which is free.