next major release of Mac OS X...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Uh, I meant to say that I expect 10.2 at MWNY, not MWSF. I'll be surprised if it's out any sooner. But I think the wait will be worth it for sure...the Mac OS X team has had more time to work on 10.2 than 10.1, and look how awesome 10.1 is compared to 10.0. I'm betting that 10.2 will be the version that finally triggers mass migration to OS X, even among the die-hard OS 9 users who piss windowshades and sh!t control strips.

Duck for cover because 10.2 is gonna be the bomb!
  • Reply 22 of 72
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Given that the end of May would mark 8 months since the last major update (which came only 6 months after the initial version), and given Microsoft's announcement (as well as the academic buying season), I'd be [unpleasantly surprised] if we didn't have it by June 1.

Apple has never waited to get something "perfect" before release in the past as far as OS updates, why would they start now and miss a big opportunity to make a lot of money (see above buying season comment)?

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
  • Reply 23 of 72
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Uh, I meant to say that I expect 10.2 at MWNY, not MWSF. I'll be surprised if it's out any sooner. But I think the wait will be worth it for sure...the Mac OS X team has had more time to work on 10.2 than 10.1, and look how awesome 10.1 is compared to 10.0. I'm betting that 10.2 will be the version that finally triggers mass migration to OS X, even among the die-hard OS 9 users who piss windowshades and sh!t control strips.

Duck for cover because 10.2 is gonna be the bomb!</strong><hr></blockquote>

JYD: I commend your optimism. Sure, it's harder than complaining, but people like you more!
  • Reply 24 of 72
    foamyfoamy Posts: 55member
    I don't think the buying seasons have anything to do with Apple's decisions. I mean C'mon, the two consumer shows are at the absolutely worst times then could possibly be.

MWNY. Too late in the summer for the educational buyers... especially if they pull one of those, "Buy the new Powerbook available today!" Will ship in 2-3 months.

MWSF. Just after the holiday buying season! WTF.

Apple should switch MWSF to May, the WWDC to July-Aug, MWNY to October and Seybold to Jan.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    But will it cost $$?

I think Apple should bite the bullet and give 10.2 away. At this point in the game, the good will gesture would be more valuable than money.

I like OSX now, but there are major holes in it that keep me from installing it on all the Macs in my dept (not to mention we dont have .psd7 yet).

If they do charge, it has to be a small (30$) amount.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    OS 10.5, $99 upgrade, this summer.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Does anyone have a reason for saying Apple will jump from .1 to .5?

Just saying it will happen doesn't mean much.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Good point foamy...they really should change their MW dates. They make absolutely no sense relative to when people are most inclined to spend money.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs:

<strong>Good point foamy...they really should change their MW dates. They make absolutely no sense relative to when people are most inclined to spend money.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes they do.

MWNY is where Apple and all mac developers set their "holiday" lineups.

MWSF is where they regroup for the new year.
  • Reply 30 of 72
    [quote]Originally posted by Capt. Obvious:

<strong>Does anyone have a reason for saying Apple will jump from .1 to .5?

Just saying it will happen doesn't mean much.</strong><hr></blockquote>

7.1 -&gt; 7.5

8.1 -&gt; 8.5

And yes, Apple has deviated from it's seeding nominatives. Remember OS 8.7 Sonata? It was all the rage on the rumor boards in 1999 until Apple renamed it to OS 9.

We haven't heard or seen any new builds of "OS 10.2" since late December. There's a lot that can happen in 6 months (pertaining to WWDC).

[ 04-14-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 31 of 72
    Nostradamus, you forget:

9.1 -&gt; 9.2

• Reply 32 of 72
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Nostradamus, you forget:

9.1 -&gt; 9.2

</strong><hr></blockquote>

only because it was really just a "maintnence patch"

and also because they didn't want to be going 9.1.x forever

• Reply 33 of 72
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    [quote]OS 10.5, $99 upgrade, this summer.<hr></blockquote>

And what features would justify such a price/numbering scheme?
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Tons of new features, major Carbon API improvments, a brand new printing system, and other things.
  • Reply 35 of 72
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    yeah, I know this, I'd have wanted specific examples from people who seem to be "in the know"
  • Reply 36 of 72
    I'd like that too.

So, whose going to WWDC and can give us reports?
  • Reply 37 of 72
    [quote]Originally posted by graphiteman:

<strong>I'd like that too.

So, whose going to WWDC and can give us reports?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm going to WWDC. In fact, I'm even teaming up with someone to do daily video tidbits at WWDC.
  • Reply 38 of 72
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

only because it was really just a "maintnence patch"

and also because they didn't want to be going 9.1.x forever

</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's the diff between going 9.1.x forever and doing 9.2.x like they are now...there was never a 9.1.x anyway only a 9.1...there was a 9.2 (unreleased), 9.2.1, and 9.2.2.

The main reason we went from 8.1 to 8.5 was the transistion to PPC, much like from 9 to X only on a smaller scale. 8.5 was a VERY VERY different OS under the hood. Closer to 9.x.x than to 8.1 IMO.

7.1-7.5 I don't specifically remember.

And if there is any thing Apple has shown, it is that they aren't going to repeat themselves a whole lot. Look at OS X, frequent updates, very graduated so far. They are taking it nice and slow...to me this shows they want to keep 10.x around as long as possible.

10.2 is the most reasonable version name...

We will see 10.1.4 before 10.2 comes out, 10.2.4 will probably be out before 10.3...etc.

My reasoning for this is that Apple seems to be following a pattern (they probably have a far reaching internal schedule) of releasing 4-5 bug fixes inbetween each major update...
  • Reply 39 of 72
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    My guess...we'll see alot less of the x.x.x releases after the next major (10.x) release. I think Apple did these initially because they had to quickly plug holes in their OS. Now that things begin to stabilize, I think we will see a return to the old way.

Maybe we'll see a 10.2.1, but I dont think so. My guess is Apple will simply release a series of updates via the CP (ie Security update, etc).
  • Reply 40 of 72
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member