Update enables Time Machine backups to AirPort Extreme USB drives

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    bxs6408bxs6408 Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post

I had the opposite experience.

I was backing up on a LaCie drive via firewire. This afternoon I plugged it into the USB port of my AEBS and set up Time machine, and it didn't do a full initial backup -- only an incremental backup that took just a couple of minutes. Looking at it in the Finder, there is only one .sparsebundle file, not two.

No way - you have to be mistaken. Direct attached HDDs and networked HDDs (TC. TC's USB2 or other) have two different TM backup structures. The TC (network via wire or WiFi) has a sparse bundle disk image and the direct attached HDD has a Finder structure.

Please check your info and post back. Thanks...
  • Reply 62 of 64
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post

I had the opposite experience.

I was backing up on a LaCie drive via firewire. This afternoon I plugged it into the USB port of my AEBS and set up Time machine, and it didn't do a full initial backup -- only an incremental backup that took just a couple of minutes. Looking at it in the Finder, there is only one .sparsebundle file, not two.

It looked like mine did that initially as well. It created a new disk image which was only 157MB. It claimed that it was finishing the back up, then it suddenly need 120gb to back up the rest of the drive. Of course that drive is filled wtih 300+gb of previous time machine data that is basically useless to me wirelessly.

Can anyone explain why the two methods are different? And can we restore a drive from the sparseimage?
  • Reply 63 of 64
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    Interestingly enough, I hooked my Back up drive by USB and it tried to back up to the sparseimage! This may mean that you can start the back up wireless and then use wireless or USB for back ups. Can anyone confirm this? This could be the best of both worlds, but it still depends on having all your files in that one disk image.

Good news was that after I deleted the sparseimage, it recognized the previous file structure and did an incremental back up.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    dempsondempson Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmalik View Post

Do you think a USB disk attached to a non-802.11n AEBS (I have the 802.11g version) will work with time machine? Or, do I need to buy a newer version of AEBS.

The 802.11g Airport Extreme base station ("flying saucer") only supports a printer connected to its USB port, not a hard drive. You must have an 802.11n Airport Extreme ("slab") or Time Capsule if you want to connect a hard drive to the base station.