Apple pushing Safari downloads on Windows users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    frawonfrawon Posts: 4member
    It is a good strategy to demo the apple user interface with Safari to PC user; however, there are websites that cannot be displayed in Safari. Besides the security issues, I think Apple engineer should work at the compatibility in next and future revision. I try to use Safari every time a new update pops up, but I keep switch back to IE after I get into some financial websites does not even support Safari.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    chadjkchadjk Posts: 1member
    I'd rather Apple dump Safari and just pre-package Camino with Mac OS X.

For that matter, they can dump iWork also and dedicate those development resources towards contributing to the OpenOffice Aqua project.
  • Reply 23 of 114
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djdj View Post

This tactic of installing it via Software Update is more aggressive and sneakier than anything we've ever seen by Microsoft. It's essentially a virus when distributed this way. Boo Apple!

How about distributing a browser that can't be uninstalled?
  • Reply 24 of 114
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

This tactic of installing it via Software Update is more aggressive and sneakier than anything we've ever seen by Microsoft. It's essentially a virus when distributed this way. Boo Apple!

You're forgetting the "Genuine Advantage", which is not an advantage for the user. So, no, Microsoft has done done a lot worse. At least Safari doesn't threaten to cripple your computer if something isn't quite right.
  • Reply 25 of 114
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

There is no way that Safari is ever going to become popular on Windows. It's okay on the Mac, but the user interface feels nothing like any other Windows app and it just feels totally out of place on Windows.

I assume you are kidding ... right?

As more Windows users try a Mac type app such as iTunes and now safari it makes them realize what an ugly interface they have suffered thus far.
  • Reply 26 of 114
    nacnudnacnud Posts: 20member
    Just trying it out, seems nice but there are two things keeping me on firefox.

- I like having more screen space so I have moved the menu bar and tool bar onto one line

- I hate ads a windows safari adblock would be good
  • Reply 27 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beaveyOne View Post

You can't possibly be serious... as if Microsoft has never aggressively and sneakily pushed anything out through Windows Update? Wow.

The guy you replied to had to have been being sarcastic ... surely???
  • Reply 28 of 114
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nacnud View Post

Just trying it out, seems nice but there are two things keeping me on firefox.

- I like having more screen space so I have moved the menu bar and tool bar onto one line

- I hate ads a windows safari adblock would be good

Safari does have an adblock plugin for Mac... but I guess there's not enought marketshare to develop it for windows quite yet.
  • Reply 29 of 114
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

There is no way that Safari is ever going to become popular on Windows. It's okay on the Mac, but the user interface feels nothing like any other Windows app and it just feels totally out of place on Windows.

I've seen Safari on Vista, and I'll probably agree with you on this. Safari has a nice, clean interface. By comparison, IE7 is very cluttered. But its appearance just seems to jangle me in some way. The Mac people at Microsoft seem to put more effort into making their products fit into the visual scheme of its destination than Windows group at Apple do.

Quote:

You're wrong here, though. This is not "more aggressive and sneakier than anything we've ever seen by Microsoft". Such a statement demonstrates a breathtaking ignorance of Microsoft's history. How about the infamous error message once upon a time that suggested Quicktime was causing problems, when it was doing no such thing, designed to scare people away from using Quicktime? What about "cutting off Netscape's air supply"?

And no, Safari is not "essentially a virus when distributed this way". That has to be the most inane thing I've read in a long, long time.
  • Reply 30 of 114
    Just offered to load this afternoon - in France. Said "Nice trick !" and decided to download just to check on my PC for my blog and multi-platform tests for my blog. Smooth install, and all my URLs in FIREFOX were present and fully functional. Meanwhile I'll stay with FF on my MAC and PC.http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...ies/1smile.gif

• Reply 31 of 114
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I have had the Safari Beta on my work PC for some time, now. It's great. It brings the absolutely golden "find text" feature built into Leopard, which is used most notably in Mac Safari. That alone is worth the switch. There are still some websites that are broken in Safari but work in Firefox or IE, but if the user base for Safari increases, the number of these will diminish.
  • Reply 32 of 114
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Those who only tried the initial public 3.0.x Windows beta should give 3.1 a try. It is actually very snappy, and no longer does bizarre things like putting menus in the title bar. Also, if you turn the font smoothing down the font differences aren't as garish as they are by default. And being able to resize text entry areas and search using Safari's search is awfully nice.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:

It's essentially a virus when distributed this way. Boo Apple!

OH the DRAMA! A virus, hahahaha.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    Pop up blocker is in the preferences section under security, turn it on and the ads are gone. I've been using Safari on my pos windows machine at work and at least I can avoid IE which is the biggest pile of dung that I have ever seen.
  • Reply 35 of 114
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    [QUOTE=mdcat;1231923]
    Quote:

WTF are you talking about?

I use Windows and Macs 50/50 and nothing is consistent in Windows so Safari isn't going to stand out in some bizarre way, other than maybe looking better than 90% of the apps you use in Windows. On Windows, the interface is all a massive jumble, nothing even remotely close to the level of consistency you see in OS X applications (which is mostly encouraged in Apple's programming tools like Interface Builder which makes it easy for developers to comply with a standard look.) Safari will come with its own look and interface concepts, exactly like every other Windows app out there.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

I use Firefox on both my PC and the Mac and refuse to waste time on anything else. I'm surprised that Apple would push Safari onto Windows users. Is that a first step to drafting PC users onto Macs?

Actually it's probably more to the tune of getting people use to the same browser that's on the iPhone/iPT. The more people using Safari will also mean more web developers supporting Safari.
  • Reply 37 of 114
    qualarqualar Posts: 72member
    This is just plain stupid. This now opens the door for other companies to do the same in OS X and Apple won't be able to complain because they have done it.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    Quote:

While it's delivered through Apple Software Update, it's not as if it's marked as an update - it's marked as "New software is available for your computer." Then it gives you a description of what it is.

Your average Microsoft update is "Microsoft Product X Update #F23489749023"... or is something new (WGA, or the phishing filter tools, or something like that) being pushed as required update that you can't put on an ignore list.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

Actually it's probably more to the tune of getting people use to the same browser that's on the iPhone/iPT. The more people using Safari will also mean more web developers supporting Safari.

I agree a100% ... [Shouting] Are you listening you morons that program the MLS system for Realtors that only works in IE? We use Macs and iPhones now and need Safari support! I am sick of having to run Windows for only one reason! [/Shouting]
  • Reply 40 of 114
    I love my iPhone, I love my iPod! I have adapted to and accept iTunes as my media player because of my two gadgets. But I will be damned if I will be forced to use Safari Browser on my Windows PC!!! This is just as bad as windows forcing me to use IE on various applications. I have been and will always use Firefox untill the day it shuts down.

I gurantee promise that if iTunes is required to have Safari to work then it will ALLLLLL be removed off of my machince. I will always use my PC and nothing will make me change. Every OS has its ups and downs...even a Mac. I will continue to use my Apple Gadgets but if Apple forces me to change then I and soooo many others will be GONE! Remember Apple, there are still more PC users out there that own media players then there are Mac users and if you make a mistake in forcing dedicated PC users to use your browser, then they will be gone.

What a really sad day...I really was starting to believe that Apple was "different"\