An all-new MacBook Pro is coming

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe

So, there you have it. I think we're talking about a June/ July release. I don't know for sure, but it is coming.

Wow, deep brother. So you know as much as the rest of us then?
  • Reply 22 of 50
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    I'm hoping it would look like this:

It looks more like a MacBook, but when the notebook line-up gets updated, all of the notebooks should look exactly the same.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    "I'm 100% sure a new MacBook Pro will arrive this year."

No shit, Sherlock.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 570member
    [QUOTE=Tailpipe;1232556]I just don't agree with this comment at all. The full-size keyboard and a 13.3" screen in such a slim package make the MBA an engineering marvel/ technological breakthrough - it proves that ultra-portables do not need a mini 11.1" screen that most of us struggle to read.

The MBA has room to shrink without reducing the keyboard or the screen size. There's quite a bit of fat that could be trimmed off that bezel and either side of the keyboard.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

It looks more like a MacBook, but when the notebook line-up gets updated, all of the notebooks should look exactly the same.

Man, I hope not. That looks like a Toshiba product.

The talent behind the mockup is very good with a good eye for design.

However, the mix match of colors and overall iMac in a notebook look does not translate well. the current MBP looks much better. they will have to have a miracle in order to actually improve on the current design.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

And speaking of bezels... why on earth would the MBP add that iMac black frame reducing the physical screen size (or increasing the footprint) ?!?
  • Reply 27 of 50
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

The MBA has room to shrink without reducing the keyboard or the screen size. There's quite a bit of fat that could be trimmed off that bezel and either side of the keyboard.

externally (superficially) yes, internally no.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

externally (superficially) yes, internally no.

I'm talking about the future - component reduction without interfering with physical function.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:

I'm talking about the future - component reduction without interfering with physical function.

it will be a while before they significantly change the MBA's shell, regardless of component reduction, considering that it just came out.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

it will be a while before they significantly change the MBA's shell, regardless of component reduction, considering that it just came out.

Well I certainly wasn't talking about next Tuesday.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:

Well I certainly wasn't talking about next Tuesday.

haha - fair 'nuff!
  • Reply 32 of 50
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

How sure are you of all of this? The details seem sketchy. If you were to give it a percentage rating what would it get? 50%? 75%? 95% chance?

The only thing he is sure of is that a MacBook will be released in 2008, but that's guess as well. Other than that it's all speculation.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    i would like to see a gunmetal black addition to the MBP line as well as a shift and size modification to the apple logo on the back.

for enterprise use the mackbook pro is very unsettling. it's almost laughable in certain businesses to pull out your macbook pro with that damn huge glowing apple logo on the back.

please apple think of the suits for once!!! i know its hard, but come on its time to settle down with the ego and introduce something even enterprise accounting/finance types can use without looking like we're trying to make a statement.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    Quote:

for enterprise use the mackbook pro is very unsettling. it's almost laughable in certain businesses to pull out your macbook pro with that damn huge glowing apple logo on the back.

Apple want to be unique, its a simple as that, its sort of making a statement that you are using a Mac.

And why would accounts or finance use MBP (unless its for personal use also)? MBP is for designers, if you use it for accounting, then just get the MBA, its more business purpose.

Oh yeah and by the way, most accountants or finance people aren't bothered by laptop looks.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

And why would accounts or finance use MBP (unless its for personal use also)? MBP is for designers, if you use it for accounting, then just get the MBA, its more business purpose.

Err, really?

Quote:

Oh yeah and by the way, most accountants or finance people aren't bothered by laptop looks.

Just super Excel capabilties
  • Reply 36 of 50
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Apple want to be unique, its a simple as that, its sort of making a statement that you are using a Mac.

why not? i'm an entry level accountant and i'd die to be able to use my macbook pro for both work and pleasure. i can run windows for work, and then come home and boot up OSX but no i have to lug around this stupid brick of a PC as well.

i dont care if apple wants to be unique, its called diversifying. there is no reason they cant release a nice black macbook pro with a smaller apple logo. oh and please dont make assumptions about what certain professionals "care" about.

thanks.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Getting back on track here...

I hate to break it to ya, Tailpipe, the way I read the tea leaves based on recent news, the WWDC in June is going to be all iPhone. MacBook Pros aren't even going to enter the equation. By next week, Apple will have spent the first 4 months of the year updating its entire Mac hardware portfolio, sans the cinema displays (one could only hope though). And lately, Apple sort of takes a summer vacation from new hardware during July. So September looks more plausible. As always, I hope that I am wrong!
  • Reply 38 of 50
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:

And lately, Apple sort of takes a summer vacation from new hardware during July. So September looks more plausible. As always, I hope that I am wrong!

There is much to agree with regarding your September estimate, but I'm crossing my fingers for a June refresh (or even redesign) that includes both Montevina and Fujitsu's upcoming 320 GB (7200 RPM) 2.5 inch drive. One reason that I haven't pulled the trigger on a Macbook Pro is the relatively small hard drive capacity inherent in this form factor. Having been spoiled by Apple's new iMac keyboard, I also would love to see something comparable in a MBP.

We'll see.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Quote:

Getting back on track here...

I hate to break it to ya, Tailpipe, the way I read the tea leaves based on recent news, the WWDC in June is going to be all iPhone. MacBook Pros aren't even going to enter the equation. By next week, Apple will have spent the first 4 months of the year updating its entire Mac hardware portfolio, sans the cinema displays (one could only hope though). And lately, Apple sort of takes a summer vacation from new hardware during July. So September looks more plausible. As always, I hope that I am wrong!

Thanks for putting the thread back on track, Mr H.

Sure, the WWDC is going to be about the iPhone 2.0. The growing momentum of this product is certainly very important for Apple. Who knows, we may even see new variants added. But Apple's biggest driver of profit is its notebook line-up. The MacBook Pro line is probably its most important product in terms of both profit per unit sold as well as total volume of sales. Therefore, it is well overdue for a bit of love.

What Apple decides to do in terms of release dates will to some extent be driven by what the competition does. I expect HP, Dell, Lenovo and Sony all to produce sexy new Montevina-based machines. Montevina truly enables a smaller form factor which Penryn tied to the previous Centrino system does not. Sony is putting the finishing touches to a new model range that will combine great industrial design with significantly increased processing power. Apple will need to respond.

There is a very good image on Macpredictions.com. It goes some way to showing what we can expect. I believe the DVD drive opening will move to the right hand side of the enclosure.

http://www.macpredictions.com/
  • Reply 40 of 50
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Montevina truly enables a smaller form factor which Penryn tied to the previous Centrino system does not.

I don't mean to pick nits, but I don't understand how you come to such a conclusion.

The features of the Montevina platform, as I understand them, include higher clockspeeds, increased FSB, support for the new Intel IG and support for WiMax. I don't see anything about physically smaller chipsets and CPUs.

Now I'm not saying that the new Montevina platform isn't going to be good. But I expect that the improvements will be similar to the improvements seen when Santa Rosa replaced the original Napa platform. Good but not great.