Gartner's change of heart over iPhone in the enterprise

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I do think it's a silly accusation, but nobody objected when people say that Microsoft paid for a position paper, whether or not it's actually true.

I agree, it's not silly. However, they don't have to pay for it because even small updates from Apple make headlines over large updates from other companies.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

I do think it's a silly accusation, but nobody objected when people say that Microsoft paid for a position paper, whether or not it's actually true.

I think it is completely silly to think that Apple is above paying to have favorable things said about it.

How deep down the rabbit hole do some of you actually live? The US govt pays journalist to write nice things and to speak favorably. Why would Apple be or any other business organization be above this? At the end of the day, they are trying to position a product to increase sales.

@Abster2core and lantzn,

Are you sure you want to make this personal? Until you decide I cordially invite you to foxtrot oscar.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I think it is completely silly to think that Apple is above paying to have favorable things said about it. .

But that's not the problem, as solipsism suggested, it's silly to think that they need to. But if you have proof that they paid for the report, go ahead and link to it.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:

But that's not the problem, as solipsism suggested, it's silly to think that they need to. But if you have proof that they paid for the report, go ahead and link to it.

@Jeff,

It would be easier to get proof of someone else being on the grassy knoll than to see and actual bank transfer from Apple to whomever. The point is, companies pay all the time. It is the price of doing biz. The iPhone could really and I mean really be an in-roads into corp America with the right word here or there. I have nothing against Apple making money. Hell, they make money and this in turn will lead them to make more products that I might buy.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

@Jeff,

It would be easier to get proof of someone else being on the grassy knoll than to see and actual bank transfer from Apple to whomever. The point is, companies pay all the time. It is the price of doing biz. The iPhone could really and I mean really be an in-roads into corp America with the right word here or there. I have nothing against Apple making money. Hell, they make money and this in turn will lead them to make more products that I might buy.

If Forrester, and some other research organizations put out a report, they do make a note of the underwriter.

You're not really making a case that Apple really needs this. iPhones have been getting into large organizations just fine.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:

If Forrester, and some other research organizations put out a report, they do make a note of the underwriter.

You're not really making a case that Apple really needs this.

@Jeff,

I did not realize this was court case. However, I will preface or caveat before I post stipulating that this may or may not be my opinion, with subsequent proof in the form of a link, a photo, blood sample, etc... forthcoming.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

I did not realize this was court case.

I'm just pointing out that what you've been saying makes as much sense as Microsoft buying another company. There's no good logic behind it. But it doesn't look like you'll ever realize that.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

I'm just pointing out that what you've been saying makes as much sense as Microsoft buying another company. There's no good logic behind it. But it doesn't look like you'll ever realize that.

Maybe I am wrong and by all means please do correct me, but I do not think many here have inside knowledge to the inner workings of Apple. Many can glean info here and there, and put pieces together to get an idea or rumor. WIth this being the case, everything here or most things are simply subjective opinion. My opinion carries no more weight than yours or anyone else's here. My inability to see your "facts" does not mean that you are correct. It just means that you see things differently than me, and in the end who really cares? Will you lose sleep over this? No. Will I? Nope. Will we disagree again? Probably, but there is always the chance that we will concur on something else. So with that, you can have the last word on this as it is really going nowhere important, I guess you have also reached this conclusion.

Over to you JeffDM.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

@Jeff,

I did not realize this was court case. However, I will preface or caveat before I post stipulating that this may or may not be my opinion, with subsequent proof in the form of a link, a photo, blood sample, etc... forthcoming.

Though Lundy is judge, jury and execution 'round these parts if you break the rules it's not a courtroom. But this is a forum for lively debate. If you wish to make your point you have to at least supply some facts, even if the facts are there are support your speculation.

JeffDM is not disagreeing with you that this happens, but that Apple is in a unique position to not do this, at least not in this case. They had a keynote displaying all the v2.0 features of the iPhone which covered most, if not all, of the Enterprise SW issues that people have been complaining about for 6 months before its release. Apple—and specifically the iPhone—has enough momentum to and draw that pundits look for any reason to write Apple.

Vista SP1 was officially released on 18/03/2008, yet tech sites got more buzz over AEBS connect HDDs now work with TM and that Adobe may have spoken too quickly on being able to add Flash.
    • Companies pay for pundit supported marketing

• Apple is not above such marketing

• Apple does not have to waste their money when the iPhone's forthcoming Exchange support is such a draw for pundits
    PS:
    Quote:

My opinion carries no more weight than yours or anyone else's here.

Au contraire, mon frère. A well executed argument does weigh more than a poorly contrived one, regardless if it's inevitably correct or incorrect.

"It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove"
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

"It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove"

Training Day?
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Training Day?

Yes and no. I don't who said it first, but I certainly said it before that move was made. Great flick, BTW; Denzel certainly earned Best Actor for that role.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Yes and no. I don't who said it first, but I certainly said it before that move was made. Great flick, BTW; Denzel certainly earned Best Actor for that role.

It also sounds like an Al Pacino line. Can't think of the movie but for some reason I hear him saying it. Heat maybe?
  • Reply 33 of 40
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Remote wipe for blackberry is pretty fantastic. I assume Apple will do the same thing:

For example, once you send the command to wipe, if it's online you will get a response code back when it finishes. If someone was in airplane mode, and even switched out the sim with your stolen phone, when the phone powered back up with the new sim it would check with at&t network the phone's hardwired IMED subscriber code, and would wipe/lock it up then (from what I've seen/read)

So basically unless they plan to keep it in airplane mode for eternity or not have wifi enabled ever, then they might be okay.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Some of the blackberry remote wipe features, that Apple will probably be modeling it after since it's through exchange:

SMS notification on SIM Change to predefined number (GSM only)

\tRecover contacts from lost phone (GSM/CDMA)

\tRemote Wipe the entire device/media card (GSM/CDMA)

\tComplete Stealth operations

\tSends the device location information\t

Does not affect mobile performance in normal operation

\tTiny installation footprint

\tEasy Configuration

\tPassword Protected Settings

For apple I'm guessing they will have the advance of being able to pickup if somebody uses it on wifi as well regular gsm network.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Some of the blackberry remote wipe features, that Apple will probably be modeling it after since it's through exchange:

For apple I'm guessing they will have the advance of being able to pickup if somebody uses it on wifi as well regular gsm network.

Of everything listed, only Remote Wipe is known be coming with v2.0. And that sounded like this feature will only be available via Exchange. Though I hope it will be available to ALL iPhone users through the carrier, or I might be setting up my own Exchange server at home just for this feature, if it's not financially crippling.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Of everything listed, only Remote Wipe is known be coming with v2.0. And that sounded like this feature will only be available via Exchange. Though I hope it will be available to ALL iPhone users through the carrier, or I might be setting up my own Exchange server at home just for this feature, if it's not financially crippling.

I would like remote FIND more than wipe but without true gps that would be be kind of hard. I lost mine the other day and it was on vibrate, so even though I called it, no one heard it. Damn loose fitting trousers, my phone fell out into the cushions of the couch at the office. After driving around town retracing my steps, I finally found it. I was really in a panic. I have become very attached to my iPhone.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

It is not only silly, it is criminal. As it is criminal for an investment company to receive payment from any public company as sapporbaby suggested.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It is not only silly, it is criminal. As it is criminal for an investment company to receive payment from any public company as sapporbaby suggested.

Nor would anyone ever pay a dime to read their "research" ever again.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    funny way of saying "we were totally wrong and thought the iphone wouldn't support exchange"

you had to be stupid to underestimate the iphone. sure, it could have been a huge letdown, but as an analyst you have to provide the most likely scenario, and i don't think saying it would fail in enterprise was very likely. the iphone has a REAL web browser that is the BEST mobile browser you can buy. that means a LOT to enterprise.

not thinking the iphone would have some kind of SDK was stupid, too. why the hell would apple put OS X into a phone if they weren't planning on using it?
  • Reply 40 of 40
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

funny way of saying "we were totally wrong and thought the iphone wouldn't support exchange"

you had to be stupid to underestimate the iphone. sure, it could have been a huge letdown, but as an analyst you have to provide the most likely scenario, and i don't think saying it would fail in enterprise was very likely. the iphone has a REAL web browser that is the BEST mobile browser you can buy. that means a LOT to enterprise.

not thinking the iphone would have some kind of SDK was stupid, too. why the hell would apple put OS X into a phone if they weren't planning on using it?

I am not sure I know where you are going with this. But to make it perfectly clear, analyst are paid to research and analyse their findings in a report that investment brokers, i.e., the people in contact with clients, use to recommend the buying or selling of that stock.

Analyst are by law not allowed to speak to, or directly or indirectly promote a stock in any manner to or with a client. They must appear to be independent and far removed from the action, and investment houses and the SEC do everything they can to ensure it.

At the time of introduction, there was little, if any, argument that the iPhone was enterprise ready. And if you read the analysts' reports at the time, they did not say that the iPhone would never or could never be suitable for business use, only that at its current configuration, it was missing an number of necessary features to be so.

In fact, a number of institutions expected that it was only a matter of time, but in the true nature good broker advisement, even that would have been tempered.

Investment brokerages have a responsibility to their prospective clients to advise them re their stock porfolio. Their clients, in most cases, are not the people seen here and in many cases their understanding of Panther, Tiger and Leopard is what they have seen on the Discovery Channel.

For most investors, having somebody to blame for a bad stock purchase, the broker fits well. For those whose stocks are rising, having somebody to congradulate, it's usually themselves.

Not much different then what is evidenced here.