Apple's patent for an LCD display that also takes photos, video

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Voice-dialing seems to be a very American thing to do, I guess that's why I never think of that. As for copy & paste. I solved that already, I'm just waiting for Apple to use my damn idea.



    Ah, the winters where you live are probably mild! You probably don't wear gloves for half the year like I do!



    And, I do remember your brilliant copy-paste idea from the past.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukaz View Post


    Is it possible that the current generation of iPhones (and perhaps the Touch too) ALREDY has this thing!?



    Just like other people claiming that maybe the current iPhone already has 3G? Your suggestion is absurd and shows you have no idea how such things work.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukaz View Post


    What about an OLED with videoconferency?

    I'm serius, if my iPod Touch alredy has this thing (Apple patented it before the beginning of the iPhone Project), I'm going to freak out. First the 3-axis acelerometer (I didn't knew it was 3-axis) now this? What, does this thing also have hidden bluetooth in it?



    Maybe there is a brand new car hidden in your iPod Touch too. "Seriusly", are you 12 years old?
  • Reply 43 of 52
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmon750 View Post


    Yep, apparently Apple has no clue what they're doing. Shut down iPhone development. This guy apparently knows the right way to make a phone.



    I'm going to sell mine now and wait for this guy to make THE revolutionary phone that will change the world. All those millions of iPhone users have no idea they bought a dud!



    A whole year and a quarter! My god think of the life that was wasted waiting!



    Apple could have added all those features being requested all over the place but then what, people will still find a way to complain. Apple now has the attention of the world on them with iphone, it's now the biggest name in cell phones, I mean if you ask the average person on the street what an iphone is, they will probably know what it is compared to asking them what a Nokia N95 is. Apple may not sell the most cell phones compared to the likes of Nokai but they will be the company everyone will compare other cell phones to. The iphone will become the "ipod" of the cell phone world. Look how much attention the recent SDK got and that was just for an SDK, look at the jailbreaking community and unlocking stories, how many other companies can get that much attention. I don't believe Apple would have gotten more attention if they released the iphone with all those features being requested, the iphone will mature more and additional more features will be added to entice new users and get others to upgrade. Apple have the world's attention and they know it.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukaz View Post


    Is it possible that the current generation of iPhones (and perhaps the Touch too) ALREDY has this thing!?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukaz View Post


    What about an OLED with videoconferency?



    I'm serius, if my iPod Touch alredy has this thing (Apple patented it before the beginning of the iPhone Project), I'm going to freak out. First the 3-axis acelerometer (I didn't knew it was 3-axis) now this? What, does this thing also have hidden bluetooth in it?



    I can guarantee you that you iPod Touch does not have a hidden LCD display that takes photos, hidden 3G, a hidden OLED screen, hidden Bluetooth or even a hidden brand new car inside it.



    You will "seriusly" have to buy their new device. That is how they make money.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post


    Hands down, driving and talking on the phone is absolutely one of the most dangerous things you can do. Driving while yapping is similar to driving drunk.



    Yes, and using handsfree does not solve the problem. The issue is distraction by a person you are speaking with who cannot see your traffic situation as a physical passenger could.



    A physical passenger would stop speaking if traffic issues arose, and the driver would not feel obligated to continue to pay attention to the passenger or to quickly think of which issue to pay attention to - the traffic or the person on the phone.



    A business associate reading you a list of sales information over the phone isn't going to know when you can't pay attention, and the driver feels obligated to listen even though they would not do that with a physical passenger present. A real passenger reading you the same information does not demand the same attention, as they know when to stop and wait.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post


    Hands down, driving and talking on the phone is absolutely one of the most dangerous things you can do. Driving while yapping is similar to driving drunk.



    The level of stupidity involved is off the charts.



    As a pedestrian and cyclist, I can't tell how many times I've nearly been killed when some idiot decides that blabbing on the phone is more important than whatever happens to going on around them. After all THEY ARE the center of the universe.



    Is making that call IMMEDIATELY all THAT important? Why not just stop?



    There are laws against it. they should be enforced.



    Actually, listen and messing with your radio is the #1 reason sited by the Automotive Insurance industry as reason for someone getting in an accident. Talking on the Cell phone is #7. Oh yelling at your Kids is #3 so I think you should be more concern with people messing with radio and yelling at kids as a bigger issue.



    The reason they are passing laws to stop people from talking on the phone in a car is because it the easy and most visible thing to go after, it is too hard to try and ticket someone for messing with the radio or yelling at their kids because it is hard to prove.



    Back to my point, voice dialing allow you to keep both hand on the wheel and just talk like you talk to someone next to you in the car. Oh, #5 on the list of causes of accidents is being distracted by others in your car.



    Lastly, people who do not know how to drive cause accidents not cell phone or radios, so outlaw the problem not the Contributing Factors.



    BTW, I do not talk on my cell phone unless it has a bluetooth headset and I can voice dial. Which is far safer then messing with radio since I do not have to talk my eyes off the road to, call, answer or talk.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

    voice dialing allow you to keep both hand on the wheel and just talk like you talk to someone next to you in the car.



    Except it's not the same at all, as I explained. The person next to you can see what the traffic is. If you stop listening and stop responding, they know why, and you know that they know why. If they see that you are trying a difficult lane change, they stop. The person on the phone would just keep yammering away, not knowing that you need to pay attention to something else.



    I used to take cellphone calls about getting a sick patient transferred from one hospital to our hospital by helicopter. This involves getting connected to the referring doc on a three-way with the dispatcher, listening to the patient's story, telling the dispatcher what to do, being on hold while they check with the helicopter pilot about fuel and weather, getting transferred to the charge nurse to see who can go on the flight, and whether there is room in the labor and delivery and the intensive care nursery, etc. All this at 70 mph.



    It's a miracle that I didn't total my car during those three-way calls. It's not possible to pay attention to traffic slowing rapidly in front of you when some guy is rattling off the details of an important issue and asking questions every so often, and you are holding waiting for the right person to come on and you don't want to miss it when they do.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post


    I can guarantee you that you iPod Touch does not have a hidden LCD display that takes photos, hidden 3G, a hidden OLED screen, hidden Bluetooth or even a hidden brand new car inside it.



    You will "seriusly" have to buy their new device. That is how they make money.



    Thanks, I wasn't sure about the car.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post


    Yes, and using handsfree does not solve the problem. The issue is distraction by a person you are speaking with who cannot see your traffic situation as a physical passenger could.



    A physical passenger would stop speaking if traffic issues arose, and the driver would not feel obligated to continue to pay attention to the passenger or to quickly think of which issue to pay attention to - the traffic or the person on the phone.



    A business associate reading you a list of sales information over the phone isn't going to know when you can't pay attention, and the driver feels obligated to listen even though they would not do that with a physical passenger present. A real passenger reading you the same information does not demand the same attention, as they know when to stop and wait.



    I've been saying this for ages, but people do want their phones.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post


    Actually, listen and messing with your radio is the #1 reason sited by the Automotive Insurance industry as reason for someone getting in an accident. Talking on the Cell phone is #7. Oh yelling at your Kids is #3 so I think you should be more concern with people messing with radio and yelling at kids as a bigger issue.



    The reason they are passing laws to stop people from talking on the phone in a car is because it the easy and most visible thing to go after, it is too hard to try and ticket someone for messing with the radio or yelling at their kids because it is hard to prove.



    Nonsense, the laws aren't being written for that reason.



    Also, those numbers you cited are incorrect in certain important ways. Even now, few people spend much time talking on a phone in the car. I see it happen, but very rarely. As this becomes more common, the accident rate will rise quickly.



    From accident rates, and from the types of accidents occurring, it's been shown that speaking on a phone, hands free or otherwise, is worse than having a blood alcohol level well above that considered to be too dangerous to allow people to drive. Either taking ones eyes off the road, or their minds, is dangerous.



    Quote:

    Back to my point, voice dialing allow you to keep both hand on the wheel and just talk like you talk to someone next to you in the car. Oh, #5 on the list of causes of accidents is being distracted by others in your car.



    That's wrong as well. You aren't following any of the studies being made that totally disagree with what you are saying.



    Quote:

    Lastly, people who do not know how to drive cause accidents not cell phone or radios, so outlaw the problem not the Contributing Factors.



    That is one of the most absurd remarks about this that I have ever heard.



    Quote:

    BTW, I do not talk on my cell phone unless it has a bluetooth headset and I can voice dial. Which is far safer then messing with radio since I do not have to talk my eyes off the road to, call, answer or talk.



    Wrong again.



    I truly hope you never get into an accident. I really mean that.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post


    Except it's not the same at all, as I explained. The person next to you can see what the traffic is. If you stop listening and stop responding, they know why, and you know that they know why. If they see that you are trying a difficult lane change, they stop. The person on the phone would just keep yammering away, not knowing that you need to pay attention to something else.



    I used to take cellphone calls about getting a sick patient transferred from one hospital to our hospital by helicopter. This involves getting connected to the referring doc on a three-way with the dispatcher, listening to the patient's story, telling the dispatcher what to do, being on hold while they check with the helicopter pilot about fuel and weather, getting transferred to the charge nurse to see who can go on the flight, and whether there is room in the labor and delivery and the intensive care nursery, etc. All this at 70 mph.



    It's a miracle that I didn't total my car during those three-way calls. It's not possible to pay attention to traffic slowing rapidly in front of you when some guy is rattling off the details of an important issue and asking questions every so often, and you are holding waiting for the right person to come on and you don't want to miss it when they do.



    People who want to do something, will always find a reason why it's ok. nothing will dissuade them. It's sad.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post


    Except it's not the same at all, as I explained. The person next to you can see what the traffic is. If you stop listening and stop responding, they know why, and you know that they know why. If they see that you are trying a difficult lane change, they stop. The person on the phone would just keep yammering away, not knowing that you need to pay attention to something else.



    I used to take cellphone calls about getting a sick patient transferred from one hospital to our hospital by helicopter. This involves getting connected to the referring doc on a three-way with the dispatcher, listening to the patient's story, telling the dispatcher what to do, being on hold while they check with the helicopter pilot about fuel and weather, getting transferred to the charge nurse to see who can go on the flight, and whether there is room in the labor and delivery and the intensive care nursery, etc. All this at 70 mph.



    It's a miracle that I didn't total my car during those three-way calls. It's not possible to pay attention to traffic slowing rapidly in front of you when some guy is rattling off the details of an important issue and asking questions every so often, and you are holding waiting for the right person to come on and you don't want to miss it when they do.



    And that's why voice recording is also necessary, we wouldn't have to jot things down while driving, we can record the conversation and update the calendar and address book later.

    Third-party programmers can't supply audio-recording because the SDK will not allow it, so it's in Apple's hands.



    But I must agree your situation is quite extreme, for something like that you really should pull-over.
Sign In or Register to comment.