Intel ships Apple-bound Atom, hints at 2009 notebook platform

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

What makes you think they won't? Since Apple went Intel, I don't think there's been any significant Intel hardware that Apple has snubbed. And Atom is big.

AI writes as if it's a certain thing. As such, the ball is in their court to argue that case. For what it's worth, I don't think Apple has used any E-series processor or related chipset in a shipping product, that's one entire series of significant Intel hardware that Apple "snubbed", your word.

I would love to see Apple use this processor in something, but right now, I don't think it makes sense to use it in any current Apple product line. It's way too power consuming for iPhone (probably takes more power than the old 3G chipset) and way too weak for Air. The iPhone's UI size would make it hard to use existing OS X software without making some big UI changes. If they make something like a touch screen UMPC, maybe that would be great.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Since Apple went Intel, I don't think there's been any significant Intel hardware that Apple has snubbed. And Atom is big.

Apple has yet to use a single desktop-class Intel processor. Mobile and Server only.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

OK, Thats fair. Maybe I was just feeling a little cheeky.

But you must admit, ranting about a rumor site spreading rumors is a little pointless--there are plenty of technology sites that leave the wild speculation to others. Besides, we really have no way of knowing what inside information AI is getting or how reliable it really is. I'm not sure why you are so sure that this was a prognostication and not at tip or a leak...

I don't know if you are talking about Intel or Apple? In any event I think many here underestimate just how nice ATOM is. Yes it is slightly more power hungry than the ARM devices out there. On the other hand the power rating is for the chip set with puts a slightly different spin on the numbers. For something like an iPod Touch Maxi or a Newton 2 it is a doable power number.

The big advantage from what I can see is the devices address space. ATOM has the potential to remain viable for a long time.

Quote:

Now, on to the question at hand, why would Apple use the Atom? The implication is rather straightforward. For the coming Newerton/iTablet they want options that have more power than the ARM chips in the iPhone family but less power draw than the chips in the MBAir. Ta-da, the Atom.

Yes that is certainly part of the equation. When you speak of power though you need to really focus in on what you mean. Frankly ATOM will never be as powerful as ARM on a performance per watt basis. For many devices that is all that really matters.

Quote:

You make it sound like Apple has never designed systems around Intel's chips...

The other part of this equation is the prospect of custom designed silicon tailored to Apples needs. Such an approach could lead to power savings and performance focused on Apple's specific needs.

Dave
  • Reply 24 of 26
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I don't know if you are talking about Intel or Apple?

It doesn't matter. The OP's position was that AI was simply making things up when it stated that Atom was destined to be used by Apple. That is possibly true, but far from the certainty that his rants indicated.

I don't know how one could be certain that AI did not get a tip from someone who may have knowledge from Apple or Intel or some other source...

As I see it, there are only three possibilities.

--AI is just making this up

--AI has good info from a tip

or

--AI has bad info from a tip

Even hindsight will only enable us to narrow it down to two of these three.

Quote:

Frankly ATOM will never be as powerful as ARM on a performance per watt basis. For many devices that is all that really matters.

Sure. Well, mostly for small, battery powered devices. I do not know the overall size or battery prospects of the much discussed TabletMac (if it will exist at all) but if it is going to be able to run full OSX programs like Keynote then plain performance--not performance per watt--will be most important.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I would love to see Apple use this processor in something, but right now, I don't think it makes sense to use it in any current Apple product line. It's way too power consuming for iPhone (probably takes more power than the old 3G chipset) and way too weak for Air. The iPhone's UI size would make it hard to use existing OS X software without making some big UI changes. If they make something like a touch screen UMPC, maybe that would be great.

That's exactly it. It's not meant for anything in the current product line. A lot of people including me are hoping for a UMPC. I owned an NEC MobilePro some years back. By today's laptop standards, so laughably underpowered that it barely registers as a computer. But it had a full Mobile Office suite and keyboard and was quite useful, not to mention a delightful below two-pound weight.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Apple has yet to use a single desktop-class Intel processor. Mobile and Server only.

That at least makes some sense. Not a lot, but some. Desktop processors are too hot for the iMac but not powerful enough for the Mac Pro. I wouldn't mind seeing a mid-range headless Mac that more people can afford, but that's not a terrible product gap like between an iPhone and a Mac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yes that is certainly part of the equation. When you speak of power though you need to really focus in on what you mean. Frankly ATOM will never be as powerful as ARM on a performance per watt basis. For many devices that is all that really matters.

For other devices, it matters far more that it can run a full OS and applications without needing them rewritten from the ground up. As much as I like my iPod touch, I disagree with people who claim that it qualifies as a computer. In the strictest sense, it is. But It lacks so much functionality compared to even a Mac mini that I can't accept it. And my touch has been jailbroken and has two screens of icons in the springboard, so it's not as limited as most.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macs_since_1984 View Post

I'm about to buy a ASUS Eee PC. Until Apple releases something similar in size and weight, I have no choice. The iPhone is a great product but handling over 100 e-mails a day is not practical for me. I currently use AT&T/Cingular and it sucks which is another reason an iPhone is not in my future until other cell phone companies can offer it.

I have severe neck and back problems and lugging around my new MacBook is a problem.

The MacBook Air is nice but I need smaller, two pounds or less and a lower price. The Mac mini price would be OK but no more.

The ASUS Eee PC certainly is not Leopard but it is very usable for web-based e-mail and web browsing.

I would rather have an Apple device with ASUS Eee PC size keyboard, a comparable or better LCD and a reasonable price. I dislike buying a PC but the size and weight issues are compelling for me.

What is it about the size that is a problem? If you have a bag that you can carry a letter sized note pad in, that bag will haul the Air.

eee is a nifty device, and while it has some features the Air doesn't, it's only a tiny fraction of what the Air is in several other ways, 1/4th the screen area, 1/8th the fsb, maybe a quarter or less the CPU power (1 core, 900MHz), 4 or 8 GB "hard drive" storage, a smaller than standard keyboard. I think there's a chance that Apple will introduce a portable somewhere between an Air and an iPhone, my impression is that it's most likely a compact multitouch tablet about the size of a Newton, not a large palmtop with a physical keyboard.