Apple updates iTunes, QuickTime, Front Row

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday night updated three of its key media applications for Mac OS X to mend their compatibility and apply bug fixes.

iTunes 7.6.2

iTunes 7.6.2 (45MB) updates Apple's music and video app to improve stability and performance, according to the company.

QuickTime 7.4.5

Apple's QuickTime 7.4.5 update (for Panther, Tiger, and Leopard) is recommended for all users, Apple says.

The patch improves compatibility with third-party apps, overall reliability, and is said to address security issues, though the company's documentation of the security fixes is not available as of press time.

Front Row 2.1.3

Front Row 2.1.3 (20.5MB) is intended only for systems running Mac OS X Leopard and is designed to improve compatibility with the accompanying iTunes 7.6.2 update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Down and no problems on 8 Core Mac Pro
  • Reply 2 of 33
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Down and no problems on 8 Core Mac Pro

No problems on a Powerbook 1.5Ghz
  • Reply 3 of 33
    well.

it would help if i could get the software update to load.

...strange...

EDIT:took two tries. got it. things look good.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    This update fixes the bug in iTunes 7.6.1 where the last few seconds of the last track on a CD would be cut off.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    spamboyspamboy Posts: 34member
    Those are the words I have been longing to hear for weeks.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    wtbardwtbard Posts: 42member
    After I updated my MacBook Pro, the keyboard didn't work. Had to restart it, now it works OK.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Here's a FR bug they still haven't fixed: whenever I select a movie in Front Row and start playing it, then go back to the movies list to select another, as soon as I stop on another movie, the selection immediately jumps back to the movie I previously selected. In other words, you have to quit front row then restart it if you want to play another movie. Anyone else annoyed with this?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I was really looking forward for FR interface to become similar to AppleTV.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I was really looking forward for FR interface to become similar to AppleTV.

Any new functionality would be welcomed. Too bad these were just all bug fixes. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate the bug fixes.

Looking forward to 10.5.3 and June for the new Xcode.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's good to see Front "irrelevant" Row, i"bloatware"Tunes and Quick"security flaw"time getting updated.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's good to see Front "irrelevant" Row, i"bloatware"Tunes and Quick"security flaw"time getting updated.

Ha ha ha you are so funny!

Kudos man. Damn, what a put-down. The world is a better place knowing you guys are out there...
  • Reply 12 of 33
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Care to back up your comments with reasons?

I like Front Row - use it to watch movies or show photos on my 24" iMac

ITunes bloated? Come on, it boots in under 2 seconds and is very responsive. The only bit that feels slow is the store, but that's because it is a webpage. Maybe its file size gives an impression of bloatware, but I think a lot of that is to do with supporting all the iPods ever made, though that's code which sits on your computer's hard disk - not in your computer's memory.

As for Quicktime, yeah there do seem to be a fair share of security fixes for it. It's goes back a while so I wonder are they flaws created back in the naive the-internet-is-safe days (like Win2k).
  • Reply 13 of 33
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    <rant>

The above poster is correct. Front Row on leopard is way less useful to me than it used to be. It's nice of them to yank air-tunes support, the one thing I use regularly. I used to use front row to play music around the house and to look at movie trailers. Now the big thing is gone and it's only movie trailers.

So I tend to agree that it is irrelevant.

Anybody who thinks iTunes isn't a bloated POS needs to try it on a PC (I don't have to, thank god). And why is an app called iTUNES dealing with movies, ringtones, calendar, and address book? iTunes implies music not syncing. They need to do some application house cleaning and make the applications more intuitive again. Use iSync for syncing iPods and iPhones. etc.

Quicktime is a big framework that has lots of exposure to the outside world, there will always be bugs and it needs to be as tight and good of code as apple can write. The address book framework for example doesn't have the potential for hosing me if there's an exploit because it used locally and by more trusted users than the quicktime framework is.

</rant>

The update went flawlessly for me on a 2.4ghz 17" MBP high-res.

Sheldon
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

Care to back up your comments with reasons?

I like Front Row - use it to watch movies or show photos on my 24" iMac

ITunes bloated? Come on, it boots in under 2 seconds and is very responsive. The only bit that feels slow is the store, but that's because it is a webpage. Maybe its file size gives an impression of bloatware, but I think a lot of that is to do with supporting all the iPods ever made, though that's code which sits on your computer's hard disk - not in your computer's memory.

As for Quicktime, yeah there do seem to be a fair share of security fixes for it. It's goes back a while so I wonder are they flaws created back in the naive the-internet-is-safe days (like Win2k).

...... please don't feed the trolls.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

...... please don't feed the trolls.

I second that
  • Reply 16 of 33
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
  • Reply 17 of 33
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

<rant>

The above poster is correct. Front Row on leopard is way less useful to me than it used to be. It's nice of them to yank air-tunes support, the one thing I use regularly. I used to use front row to play music around the house and to look at movie trailers.

Man, does that bug me too. Front row would be exponentially more useful to me if it supported air-tunes.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

LOL

this is what this guy does in his free time.

• Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

This update fixes the bug in iTunes 7.6.1 where the last few seconds of the last track on a CD would be cut off.

Cool. Thanks for testing this out...
  • Reply 20 of 33
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Does anybody know how many frk'n updates we have had on iTunes since Leopard came out? It sems like one a month!

And still no continual playing playlist for movies/videos????