iPhone to interface with PlayStation 3 Blu-ray playback

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    hdasmithhdasmith Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Does this use Bluetooth? If so, that's why the iPod Touch won't have it.

Also if it is the case, then SDK developers can access the Bluetooth stack to implement functionality, which is great.

The SDK doesn't have access to BlueTooth as far as I'm aware, if it does, then access would be purely for audio. To talk to the PS3, I imagine it would be done using wifi.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

I've been wanting the iPhone to be able to act as a remote for the Apple TV since last year....

Perhaps this is a gateway?????

I remember about a year before the iPhone was released there was an Apple patent describing what looked like a remote whose interface would conform to the function of the selected device. Thinking back this could have been a cover-up for the iPhone touch-interface.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hdasmith View Post

There's no reason for the programme to brake the EULA. Have one application on the iPhone that receives data from the PS3 to display on the screen via wifi. You then have another programme running on the PS3 which sends the data and interprets the results from the iPhone. It doesn't have to be like Flash or Java which load mini apps into their own environment, it would just show an image, and send the resulting taps or accelerometer information back to the PS3.

This is the part I was referring to. It's pretty explicit.

Quote:

Breitenfeld added that while the idea for remote control functionality has been well received, it should be noted that the BD Touch technology will also allow Blu-ray players to control the iPhone and iPod touch.

• Reply 24 of 35
    dzigndzign Posts: 27member
    Remote Buddy turns the remote control in your hands into a key to your entire Mac®.

http://www.iospirit.com/index.php?mo...705b063344a49a

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

I've been wanting the iPhone to be able to act as a remote for the Apple TV since last year....

Perhaps this is a gateway?????

• Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

This doesn't look to require an SDK that would conflict with Apple's. It's a program that seems to be modular, allowing others to add to a basic framework.

I hope you are right, but the EULA is very, very specific about what frameworks you can use. We will know a little better on Thursday when they announce it, hopefully they give more details. But if they are adding any code to the iPhone, it has to be a complete application, not a library, SDK, framework, or interpreter for other developers to use.

Site: http://gizmodo.com/377290/iphone-to-...-player-remote

States:
    Quote:

Update:

Denny Breitenfeld, the CTO of NetBlender, told us that it's not a standalone application but a technology for professional Blu-Ray authoring tool combined with an SDK for iPhone developers:

It's a technology that is built into our professional Blu-Ray authoring tool that will allow studios, independent movie companies to enable BD Touch features.

These features send data in two directions from the Disc to the Iphone and vice versa. Video, Audio, text, and player commands can be sent.

So right now it seems everyone likes the "remote control" idea. However the player can control the IPhone as well. One idea is to automatically pull up IMBD of the movie you are watching right on your Iphone or send the movie information a movie database on your phone. The ideas are only limited to what people want and will use.

We are releasing an SDK for the 100k Iphone developers out there so they can take advantage of BD Touch features to build applications that easily work with all kinds of titles.

The way I read this, Apple will not permit it.

So far Java can not be implemented as it is an interpreter, Flash can not be implemented as is too heavy and IT IS ALSO AN INTERPRETER that loads and runs SWF files, and this does not sound like it can be implemented either.

We will know more on Thursday I guess but don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    Nice, looking forward to this.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Seems like a strangely inappropriate response.

Aside from your obvious desire to say something crude, how is it that Sony would look upon this development with anything other than delight? Will such a product decrease PS3 sales? Of course not. PS3 sales will likely increase (not everyone who buys an iPhone will have bought an HD player; and some of those people may well find this a deciding factor and go with PS3) -- or, at worst, stay flat. They pay nothing in development cost, since another company is making this product, but they stand to gain from it.

The halo effect isn't necessarily limited to Apple's products, and this is just the kind of thing that widens it.

Maybe he meant that as delight! Some of us have differing opinions on what's fun....haha
  • Reply 28 of 35
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

I hope you are right, but the EULA is very, very specific about what frameworks you can use. We will know a little better on Thursday when they announce it, hopefully they give more details. But if they are adding any code to the iPhone, it has to be a complete application, not a library, SDK, framework, or interpreter for other developers to use.

States:

So far Java can not be implemented as it is an interpreter, Flash can not be implemented as is too heavy and IT IS ALSO AN INTERPRETER that loads and runs SWF files, and this does not sound like it can be implemented either.

Apple explicitly excludes interpreters, but any given application will have a lot of libraries. If someone includes a library that was sold to them by someone else, Apple has nothing to say on the matter.

I don't see how this SDK is in any way an interpreter.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

...and to think I was just sulking that the harmony remote doesn't work for the ps3...

You'll need a USB IR dongle for the PS3, but I've heard of people setting up their Harmony to work with one.

As far as I can tell, this iPhone thing won't be able to control anything else.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

States:

All SDK means is software developers kit. That doesn't mean that it will write directly to the hardware. add frameworks Apple won't want, etc. It just means that it will allow developers to write apps around their product.

Until we know exactly what that means, we really can't comment one way or the other.

That's why I said, "if" Apple allows it.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Apple explicitly excludes interpreters, but any given application will have a lot of libraries. If someone includes a library that was sold to them by someone else, Apple has nothing to say on the matter.

So far, I don't either.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

you did not read it correctly, I never said it was an interpreter.

We will know soon enough if people are allowed to import libraries. Apple has put some of the features out of scope like music playing for example, if someone would import a library to perform music playing they would be stopped.

Soon we will know if binary libraries can be used or not.

One thing is to type the source code and another is to bring a binary library. We will see.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crtaylor View Post

I think you may have brought up a good point. If the iPhone has all of these apps coming to it, why not the iPod touch? It has a fairly similar interface, doesn't it?

It says right in the article that these features are coming soon to the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Quote:

meaning that iPhones and iPod touches could soon add to their repertoire the ability to dual as a multimedia remote for supporting Blu-ray players like the PS3.

• Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Forgetting about the PS3 for one second, I just want someone to create a cool all-in-one controller app for component video & audio as an option for the Touch.

And throw in some home automation control, like lighting.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    If you know Denny and John,

You can be sure that their Blu-Ray application will be the best toolset available. It's really going to advance what the consumer experiences from playback. We are anxiously awaiting their tools.

Jason Gilbert

HDPostConsulting

Http://www.HDPostConsulting.com

310-415-7888