iPhone software v2.0 to add contact search, meeting invites

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Wow Sol, 99 cents. That should get the developers slavering.

I might go as high as a whole dollar, but that is it. There is a middle school playing WoW right now who could make and still make plenty of money for college with a few weeks of work this summer.

Seriously though, I think we're going to see a lot of apps that are more complex than a search that are free. Like the free Dashboard Widgets for the 2006 World Cup that was constantly updated, I expect to see more than one app that lists the upcoming Olympic events, competitors, contestants and winners. And hopefully even YouTube links to videos of the competition. Am I asking too much?
  • Reply 22 of 40
    robrerobre Posts: 56member
    Looks like we won't see much about the new features of the iPhone2 and s/w version 2.0 until it comes out in June (?). Apple seems a lot more "tight lipped" this years and with a good reason - last year the competition was 2 years out. This year - well - they are just (about) around the corner - actually waiting until iPhone2 is out for their releases (Nokia, Samsung...). Let's just hope that version 2 is bringing back the 2-years-ahead-of-everybody-else feeling. We all know that the implementation of features is driven by what one can do with the software and Apple is great at it. (I sure hope I don't have to eat my words in June in case there's still no ToDo list! )

If you are craving for some NEW iPhone adds - and you are not satisfied with the ones running now, check out the intro movie of this newcomer to the mobile phone world.

http://www8.garmin.com/buzz/nuvifone/media_gallery.jsp

True - it's just a demo and screen shots - still fun to watch! It's what below the surface that really counts on a daily basis. I call that the "Smooth Operator" factor, and Apple owns that. I just hope that Apple is it's own strongest competitor to the iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I might go as high as a whole dollar, but that is it. There is a middle school playing WoW right now who could make and still make plenty of money for college with a few weeks of work this summer.

Seriously though, I think we're going to see a lot of apps that are more complex than a search that are free. Like the free Dashboard Widgets for the 2006 World Cup that was constantly updated, I expect to see more than one app that lists the upcoming Olympic events, competitors, contestants and winners. And hopefully even YouTube links to videos of the competition. Am I asking too much?

I was going to make another joke, and say "always" to your question, but no, you're not.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

How about the iPhone actually sync notes and to-dos from Mail on OSX? Geez, it's a no-brainer!

hmm, I think it does!! To Do in Mail using an IMAP email account can be sync using the IMAP server. Did not try notes, but I guess it will work. THey will show up in your iPhone Mail as "Apple To Do" folder.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Totally agree...especially about To Dos. To Dos are a fundamental part of personal time management, and are supported by every phone (let alone smart phones) I can think of. They're built into iCal and Mail, and it's just strange and idiotic that Apple hasn't bothered to support them in the iPhone by now.

Apple licensed ActiveSync and ActiveSync supports Tasks on Exchange servers. At least on Windows Mobile devices. With Apple's new Enterprise focus for iPhone, people are expecting the iPhone to have all the Exchange client capabilities as other Windows Mobile devices, not just the "crippleware" functionality that Mac users have grown accustomed to. If iPhone is to be a first-class Exchange client, then it needs to support Exchange Notes and Tasks. Entourage, which is made by Microsoft, does not even support Notes and Tasks on a Microsoft Exchange server.

If iPhone could support Exchange Notes and Tasks, then these could be synchronized with other applications through the Mac OS Sync Services. How stupid would Microsoft look if the iPhone supported more Exchange client functionality than Microsoft Entourage?
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

If iPhone could support Exchange Notes and Tasks, then these could be synchronized with other applications through the Mac OS Sync Services. How stupid would Microsoft look if the iPhone supported more Exchange client functionality than Microsoft Entourage?

I'd like to see full Exchange support in Mail and iCal now that they have licensed it.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Entourage, which is made by Microsoft, does not even support Notes and Tasks on a Microsoft Exchange server.

I just checked; the latest version (2008) does support notes and tasks.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Perhaps a global spotlight like search that searches everything on the iPhone/iPod and separates it like the current spotlight interface.

i want the 'find elvis' feature that i had on my newton!

http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/~scheich/Newton/OS1.html
  • Reply 29 of 40
    loblob Posts: 1member
    Any good news regarding calendar categories? At least on my iPod touch, Calendar does not support the categories (and color coding) used in iCal. I find it incredible, with such a nice screen, not to be able to view messages in the color corresponding to the category they belong to. It is simply unusable as long as you have more than one occupation in your life. A basic feature would also be a week view rather than this silly list view.

Notes and Tasks would also be a strict minimum, although the Calendar issues are the main reason why I am simply NOT using the iPod I have bought.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    This article is nice and all, but it's hardly information packed. It doesn't even say what city Apple is based out of!

• Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

This article is nice and all, but it's hardly information packed. It doesn't even say what city Apple is based out of!

BWHAHAHAHAHA That had me in stitches.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkfeend View Post

I just checked; the latest version (2008) does support notes and tasks.

The notes and tasks in Entourage 2008 are local only to Entourage. They do not synchronize with an Exchange server, which means they cannot be viewed from Outlook. And any notes or tasks entered in Outlook are not accessible from Entourage.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

I'd like to see full Exchange support in Mail and iCal now that they have licensed it.

That's a different type of license. Active sync is only for mobile devices. Microsoft also offers a Outlook-Exchange Transport Protocol for desktop applications to interoperate with Exchange. Wonder why the MacBU overlooked this.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I thank you. You're welcome. I'll be here all week.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thorge View Post

I am still desperately missing the sync function of ms to do's (iCal).

And - even my old iPod video was capable to so that - I'd like organize different calendars in my iPhone (e.g. different colors)!

Further more the German keyboard is a desaster: there is no option to manually type certain characters (such as ä, ö, ü) and word recognition isn't learning :-(

Apple: PLEASE don't disappoint us again!

Thorge

You can do your special characters, just hold on the O or U key for a sec and it brings up the special versions. Can't beleive you've not figured this one out by accident yet!
  • Reply 36 of 40
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    The thing that I regularly find myself wanting is simple copy and paste...

For example, say I want to add a phone number from a web page to a contact... or copy an address from a web page into google maps, or forward just part of an email to a friend, or I start typing an SMS and decide it should really be an email, etc etc. The interoperability between apps on the iPhone is significantly limited without copy and paste...

I mean we've only had that ability in software since the early 1980s. There are people using iPhones who weren't even born then! Is this rocket science? (and yeah, I realize that maybe they need to come up with some new selection paradigm given the multi-touch interface... but still...)
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

The thing that I regularly find myself wanting is simple copy and paste...

I don't deny that C&P would be useful but I still haven't seen a simple way (outside of one video mockup) that would make this a simple task.

Quote:

For example, say I want to add a phone number from a web page to a contact...

This is already possible. Click on the number, choose to call instead of canceling, hang up immediately and then save to existing or new contact from the Recent list.

Quote:

or copy an address from a web page into google maps

This is already possible, too. the iPhone apps and OS X Mail.app will parse addresses and phone numbers.

Quote:

or forward just part of an email to a friend,

This is more convoluted as it requires you to remove the unwanted data from the forwarded email.

Quote:

I mean we've only had that ability in software since the early 1980s. There are people using iPhones who weren't even born then! Is this rocket science? (and yeah, I realize that maybe they need to come up with some new selection paradigm given the multi-touch interface... but still...)

We've also had jet packs since the 1960s and I'm still waiting for mine. Not all technologies easily work in other areas. You realize that they need a new model to do this, but you have not suggested any solutions.

Good or bad, my solution is to add an additional button to right side of the device (opposite the volume buttons) that would allow for secondary actions. If aesthetics is an issue they could make it flush and be a capacitance sensor behind the bezel.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

I don't deny that C&P would be useful but I still haven't seen a simple way (outside of one video mockup) that would make this a simple task.

Yes, but I expect Apple to do insanely great things, not just simple things.

Quote:

This is already possible. Click on the number, choose to call instead of canceling, hang up immediately and then save to existing or new contact from the Recent list.

Yuck! No, I'm not going to become a nuisance caller just because Apple can't get their act together.

Also, in my experience, the phone number parsing doesn't always get it right, and I want to edit the number to be dialed before actually dialing it. Copy and paste would solve this as well.

Quote:

This is already possible, too. the iPhone apps and OS X Mail.app will parse addresses and phone numbers.

Not in my experience. I just tried it again to make sure I wasn't forgetting something... but no. The whole point is that copy and paste allows users to combine apps in ways that the authors did not originally think of... That's the power of it. The only alternative is for Apple to add specific commands for each possible combination, which, I submit, is actually more cumbersome and unwieldy in the long run.

Quote:

We've also had jet packs since the 1960s and I'm still waiting for mine. Not all technologies easily work in other areas. You realize that they need a new model to do this, but you have not suggested any solutions.

OK here: Slide your finger in a diagonal swipe from bottom to top of the screen: this brings up a tool palette which has a number of things on it including selection anchors. You drag the selection anchor off the tool palette to set the beginning of your selection range, and then another anchor to establish the end of your selection range. The other things in the palette are commands that apply to the clipboard and selection: you touch "copy"... Next you navigate to where you want to paste, again you bring up the palette with a diagonal swipe, and press "paste." Viola. No hardware mods required.

Or, here's an even more "multi-touchy" solution: Click and hold on a word. After a bit, an "ooze" comes out of the end of your finger around the word your touching. You can "smear" the beginnings and endings of the ooze, thereby adjusting the selection range. Next, double tap on the selected oozy range, and pick "copy" from the dialog that comes up. Navigate to some other text box, and double tap, which brings up another dialog, and you pick "paste."
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Yes, but I expect Apple to do insanely great things, not just simple things.

I didn't mean do something simple and implement it, which is what the hacked apps for iPhone do. I meant make the app intuitive enough to be simple for the end user. In other words, can the very old and very young understand it with little to no instruction.

Quote:

Yuck! No, I'm not going to become a nuisance caller just because Apple can't get their act together.

HAHA You don't have to. You hit end call before the call connects. I see your point, but this is a phone and expecting the same exact functionality as home computer just isn't going to ever make you happy.

Quote:

Not in my experience. I just tried it again to make sure I wasn't forgetting something... but no.

I use it all the time. I use Mobile Safari to look up a location and then click to call or click to look up in Google Maps on the iPhone. I can then do direction and use my current location to get full directions in a few seconds and with only a few inputs. I can't believe how useful this is to me.

Quote:

OK here: Slide your finger in a diagonal swipe from bottom to top of the screen: this brings up a tool palette which has a number of things on it including selection anchors. You drag the selection anchor off the tool palette to set the beginning of your selection range, and then another anchor to establish the end of your selection range. The other things in the palette are commands that apply to the clipboard and selection: you touch "copy"... Next you navigate to where you want to paste, again you bring up the palette with a diagonal swipe, and press "paste." Viola. No hardware mods required.

I think the diagonal would be too much. There is already left and right swipe for Safari and up and down for SMS, Mail and Safari. I am quite fast with my "flicking" and wouldn't want to slow down to be more exacting so I don't inadvertently bring up a new menu.

SMS and Mail could use a side-to-side swipe for accessing the menu but this would leave out Safari, and we know using different methods for the same action is not the Apple way.

See, your solution got me thinking of one that doesn't use an additional button, too... What about the curl page effect that Apple uses for the option for Google Maps. Some icons would have to be moved, but when curled their could be multiple options to chose from. C&P could be done by clicking on the Copy button, which uncurls the page and lets you choose the first point by initiating a holding press, like with moving the icons on the home page, so it would allow you still navigate the page. The second hold press would generate a square around the text and images within the square with the outside area grayed out. You could then drag the corners to the exact area you wish. Then you curl the page and have a new choice of buttons that allow you to save the text and images or just the text.

I would expect that there would be a clipboard that would save many different cuttings.

For pasting, you would put the cursor in the correct place, curl the page and choose Paste, which would then scroll up a list of your clippings. You click the correct one and it's automatically inserted. You could also edit these clippings and move them around the way you can for the iPhone Stocks.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:

I meant make the app intuitive enough to be simple for the end user. In other words, can the very old and very young understand it with little to no instruction.

Agreed. Still, we're entering a new multi-touchy world. If you look at all the gestures in Apple's recent patent filings, I would be hard pressed to call them all "intuitive." I'd much rather have a slightly convoluted implementation of C&P, than not have the functionality at all!

Quote:

I see your point, but this is a phone and expecting the same exact functionality as home computer just isn't going to ever make you happy.

I'm not though. I don't expect to edit images, websites, videos or audio files on my phone. I don't expect to be able to do page layout... but moving a bit of text around should surely be within its capabilities.

Quote:

I use Mobile Safari to look up a location and then click to call or click to look up in Google Maps on the iPhone.

Yes, that case works. The case that doesn't work is when the address is embedded in page text you are already viewing. I often run into this after doing a search, browsing a site, and then getting to its "contact us" page.

I like your solution fine... I think there are many solutions that would be acceptable. That's my point: Apple just needs to buckle down, decide how this is going to work, and do it.