Apple acknowledges graphics glitch with latest notebooks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    uwguyuwguy Posts: 1member
    I get this on my Mid-2007 SR Macbook Pro intermittently. I suffer from it primarily in mail since I don't use safari. It also seems to affect anything that uses flash for me. I've also had some flicker issues with the palettes in office 2008. If I disable quartz extreme, the stuff redraws without the flicker and I don't have the issues, but the animations are slower. I did install the graphics update, so that may be part of it. I have a friend with the same model computer, and he doesn't experience any of these issues though.

Another one that I get is that the background of various controls on forms can be the wrong colour. If I switch colour correction profiles, this goes away, but it doesn't make sense to me that a profile that was created specifically for my display using a calibration probe should cause these issues.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    iriairia Posts: 10member
    Anyone besides me notice that the "acknowledgement" was made by Apple in March .. specifically the post was March 12th.

http://discussions.apple.com/message...816301#6816301

An update from the user dated yesterday shows he's still frustrated.

http://discussions.apple.com/message...033038#7033038

So in fact, Apple HASN'T acknowledged the problem. Not officially, over a month since that email was sent to the user.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    I actually had the same problem with my 1 week purchased mac pro. Upon arrival and turning it on. It froze on me on the apple video that plays with it. And every 10 minutes it would freeze after that. Usually when surfing the web or downloading something. I was extremely irritated. And actually called apple and they suggested they replace the whole system. As it stands how I am writing this on my new mac pro that I got after replacement and its been up for 1 hour and hasnt froze 6 times yet. I think their problem isnt notebook speficic but some major driver problems that they need to work out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is investigating problems with its new Penryn-based Intel notebooks that cause flickering and graphics corruption during media playback and web browsing.

The two issues have been widely reported by users of the company's latest 13-inch MacBooks and 15-inch MacBook Pros, both of which began shipping in February.

In particular, users on the Apple discussion forums say (1, 2, 3, 4) that QuickTime playback of video files is routinely marred by flickering or the appearance of "washed out" graphics on their new machines.

"When I am watching the Video Tutorials for any of Apple products my QT flickers dark and light, not to the point where I can't see the video, but to the point where it is annoying," one user wrote.

"Exact same problem here," replied several others.

Meanwhile, the same batch of users are also reporting instances of graphics corruption on their machines when scrolling through Safari webpages or Mail messages -- both of which rely on Apple's Webkit framework.

"My wife has got a current gen Macbook Pro that is exhibiting a very strange behavior," one user wrote in an AppleInsider forum thread on the subject. "When she's on battery power she gets graphical glitches/tearing when scrolling in a browser."

"I have a current generation [MacBook Pro] and I have the same problem," said another. "Also when loading web pages, often with pictures, the content in the active window flickers a lot."

Thus far, it appears the anomalies are the result of a software glitch rather than a flaw within hardware. Several users attempting to diagnose the problem on their own report that the issues became noticeable only after installing the Leopard Graphics update that was released alongside the recent Mac OS X 10.5.2 Update.

One user even went as far as to install a build of the still unreleased Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update -- which is said to include fixes for graphics corruption -- on his system to see if it remedied the issue. Although he claimed the upcoming update fixes the problem, another user performing the same kind of check reported that while 10.5.3 does indeed alleviate some symptoms, it "doesn't completely correct the issue."

Graphics corruption experienced on Apple's new notebook systems.

For its part, Apple over the weekend formally acknowledged the issues for the first time in an email response to one customer.

"Apple has received reports similar to the behavior you are describing and we are investigating those reports," the company said. "Further information will come in the form of a Knowledge Base article, Software Update, or Software Release."

• Reply 44 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Love to see your proof that Apple "?remove(s) threads from the discussion forums that they find embarrassing." That is not hearsay, anecdotal incidences or bloggers smoke, but real certified evidence.

P.S. It is not because I haven't seen or found anything to support your claim. It is just difficult for me to accept anything that you have to say about Apple, Mac or Jobs when it is obvious that your comments will be disparaging, as evidence by a previous posting of yours, i.e., "My only suggestion is stop buying Apple products - I have."

Well, I'll support that claim. Last year when the Superdrive Firmware update fried many a thousand Macbook Pros, with the only repair being to replace the drive, I have about 5 entries on apple support deleted, none of which was inflammatory - I just wanted to know what the fix was and why it happened.

There were actually about 200 posts on the first day of the "update", and on the second day, after Apple had removed the "update", there was a grand total of 2 posts, and the thread was "closed" as being "resolved". To this day, Apple hasn't publicly admitted the problem, and all I could do was drop my Macbook off for a full week to have the drive replaced. Meanwhile, on other websites, there were thousands of users discussing the problem...
  • Reply 45 of 51
    I never thought I'd ever say it, but thank God for Windows!

I have one of the new Penryn-based MBPs and I have been experiencing the flickering glitch, but only in Mac OS X - Vista is working beautifully on my Windows partition! No such graphical issues there...

And one other thing - why they hell is the printing feature from websites not working in OS X at the moment? Everytime I try to print, it crashes the browser (any browser) pdfs etc.

If it weren't for Garageband - I would be quite happy using Vista at the moment - that really is saying something for a lifelong Mac fan!
  • Reply 46 of 51
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Interesting that nobody has proved it. Just the same guys who repeatedly dis Apple on everything and in some cases, never even owned a Mac.

Currently in my house, one Mac SE, imagewriter II printer, Powerbook G4 Ti, G5 iMac and a 3rd gen iPod.

The SE was purchased new when they first came out in about 1988. So what was that about never owning an Apple product?

In a court of law, the testimony of credible eyewitnesses is enough to convict or exonerate people accused of crimes. You seem to want a level of proof beyond what is reasonable or which even the legal system finds adequate. Several people have indicated they have witnessed the removal of threads, that IS proof.

I am not the only one who finds Apples new era of greed, mainly involving the iPhone, to be distasteful. I happen to live in Ireland where the iPhone 'deal' on offer is the worst of any country. The iPhone in this country has received a cold and chilly reception, and rightfully so.

I have experienced Apples lack of product testing first hand. When I first got my iPod, it would not be recognised by the Powerbook. It was about a full week before I managed to get it to function. Imagine buying a new car and having to spend a week rebuilding parts of it to get it going, and the manufacturer would not speak to you or help in any way.

I suppose in your rose tinted world, you think I should count myself honoured that they would even deign to sell my their wonderful product and that I should be grateful; the fact that it wouldn't work being a mere insignificant detail.

Oh, the iPod died at about 9 months. Luckily I was able to get a replacement under warranty. Not so fortunate was loosing everything that was on it and having to re-rip everything. Don't you love Apple, they tell you to back up the contents of your iPod before sending it in for repair (not that I could have), but provide no obvious mechanism to do so and made it impossible to do so through iTunes or the OS. Can't accuse Apple of lacking a sense of humor, anyway, they certainly are masters of irony.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    Quote:

Love to see your proof that Apple "?remove(s) threads from the discussion forums that they find embarrassing." That is not hearsay, anecdotal incidences or bloggers smoke, but real certified evidence.

P.S. It is not because I haven't seen or found anything to support your claim. It is just difficult for me to accept anything that you have to say about Apple, Mac or Jobs when it is obvious that your comments will be disparaging, as evidence by a previous posting of yours, i.e., "My only suggestion is stop buying Apple products - I have."

Stick this in your pipe and smoke it!

"Apple never promised upgradeability, the employee astutely observed, warning that "additional posts to the thread will be removed, and since the entire thread is off-topic, it will most likely be removed as well." True to the threat, Apple then deleted the unhappy messages ? airbrushing the discontent away with an ease that the Soviets would have envied."

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/99...idg/index.html

And how about this:

"As commenter "Poli," below, notes, myndex's entry on Apple's discussions.apple.com forums appears to have been removed by Apple some three hours after this Wolfe's Den post appeared. For that reason, at the end of this entry I've added screen captures of myndex's mirror post from the macrumor board.]"

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/..._users_ta.html

Another: http://tinyurl.com/prag3

Point proved.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Stick this in your pipe and smoke it!

"Apple never promised upgradeability, the employee astutely observed, warning that "additional posts to the thread will be removed, and since the entire thread is off-topic, it will most likely be removed as well." True to the threat, Apple then deleted the unhappy messages — airbrushing the discontent away with an ease that the Soviets would have envied."

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/99...idg/index.html

And how about this:

"As commenter "Poli," below, notes, myndex's entry on Apple's discussions.apple.com forums appears to have been removed by Apple some three hours after this Wolfe's Den post appeared. For that reason, at the end of this entry I've added screen captures of myndex's mirror post from the macrumor board.]"

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/..._users_ta.html

Another: http://tinyurl.com/prag3

Point proved.

Obviously you haven't read Apples rules regarding the use of their forum. In every case you sited above, any locking out was the result of not adhering to the conditions as published.

I would suggest you do some careful reading and even follow the links in some of the issues.

As I tried to reiterate, nobody has shown that any removal was done because it embarrassed Apple.

Following up on your citations and the links they provided does not support your contentions. This is not a case for free speech as one attempted to bring in. This is more like you (as used to refer to an indefinitely specified person) have been invited for dinner and you decides to trash the hosts. Why, because somebody who knows you suggested that they were serving broccoli, which you have never tasted but abhorred.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    Quote:

Obviously you haven't read Apples rules regarding the use of their forum. In every case you sited above, any locking out was the result of not adhering to the conditions as published.

I would suggest you do some careful reading and even follow the links in some of the issues.

As I tried to reiterate, nobody has shown that any removal was done because it embarrassed Apple.

Following up on your citations and the links they provided does not support your contentions. This is not a case for free speech as one attempted to bring in. This is more like you (as used to refer to an indefinitely specified person) have been invited for dinner and you decides to trash the hosts. Why, because somebody who knows you suggested that they were serving broccoli, which you have never tasted but abhorred.

You must be a lawyer, to attempt to weasel your way out of it this way.

Apple blocks, prevents and censors discussions on its forums. Whether it is entitled to do so by invoking its 'terms of use' was never relevant to what I said and still isn't. I never mentioned free speech - it is obvious to anyone that as they own the infrastructure on which the forums operate, they can damn well do as they please - and they do.

It is still censorship, no matter what their legal entitlements. You claim their acts of censorship are nothing to do with embarrasment, but are only because of technical non-compliance with the rules. So it is just coincidental that these actions by Apple take place on threads that could also be considered embarrasing? Too much coincidence for me.

"Apple censorship at issue on its support forums, again

Apple seems to have problems coping with criticism when its products don't live up to expectations "

http://tinyurl.com/385yft
  • Reply 50 of 51
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

You must be a lawyer, to attempt to weasel your way out of it this way.

Apple blocks, prevents and censors discussions on its forums. Whether it is entitled to do so by invoking its 'terms of use' was never relevant to what I said and still isn't. I never mentioned free speech - it is obvious to anyone that as they own the infrastructure on which the forums operate, they can damn well do as they please - and they do.

It is still censorship, no matter what their legal entitlements. You claim their acts of censorship are nothing to do with embarrasment, but are only because of technical non-compliance with the rules. So it is just coincidental that these actions by Apple take place on threads that could also be considered embarrasing? Too much coincidence for me.

"Apple censorship at issue on its support forums, again

Apple seems to have problems coping with criticism when its products don't live up to expectations "

http://tinyurl.com/385yft

Man, follow the links.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    Ok, I have a brand new MBP 2.4ghz with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (256mb VRAM)

I have been experiencing video problems:
    • black boxes flickering on certain elements

• moving elements flickering (copy bar in the finder, when zooming icons in a finder window, scrolling a finder window)

• Text not correctly scolling in Safari, Word, etc...

So if this is your problems, you've probably noticed that your machines were fine in windows through bootcamp, which leads us to faulty os x drivers or bad quartz rendering.

Talking about Quartz rendering...

Try enabling Quartz GL it should solve your problems (it used to be called Quartz 2D extreme) It will shift the calculations from the processor to the graphic card.

You could use Quartz Debug from the dev. tools

Or use a preference pane called "Secret" to do so

Some documentation about Quartz GL

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.ars/9

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10-4.ars/14

Here you go, I hope this will work for you guys!