Apple plants two more Mac OS X 10.5.3 seeds

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a Martin View Post

It's funny to first read:

"Just thank the Lord that you're not using Vista. I had three crashes today on a Sony VAIO SZ5 and that was a good day."

Then the next post after that:

"In the meantime it's hard to get work done without restarting into Vista, which has been rock solid and not had any issues, graphics or otherwise, in the month I've been using it."

Ahh, touché .
  • Reply 22 of 27
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

10.5.2 has been stable on my MBP 2.16 ghz C2D machine but I've noticed the spinning beach ball more often.

No crashes but just the beach ball opening some apps, switching between tabs in Safari and at start up.

I don't know if 10.5.3 will do anything about that or not.

Check out THE XLAB Spinning Beach Ball of Death. http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/sbbod.html
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

It's getting a bit concerning the widely varying reports on the state of the OS. One of Apple's advantages has always been that they know all of the machine configurations that are running their OS, and have far fewer to test everything on than Microsoft. Now there are acknowledged problems that seem to be related to configurations, and they're having trouble pinpointing the problems.

To add to my earlier list, the inability to reconnect to SMB shares on wake from sleep is pretty annoying, among various other issues with sleep.

Other issues, for instance with Safari, seem to be specific to PPC machines. On my old 1.5GHz PBG4, 10.4.11 was definitely far more stable and swift.

As Apple states, "Performance will vary based on system configuration, network connection, and other factors."

Makes perfect sense.

One would expect that every iteration is going to be better on the latest configuration. Or why introduce either. We have 5 Macs in the house alone. One is a G4. It can't in the world keep up to our latest Pros. To expect Apple or any software developer to base a new release on the weakest link would be ludicrous.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Keeping up ≠ working without bugs on machines well ahead of the requirements for running the OS. In any case, I actually have more 'bugs' currently on my brand-new MBP; the G4 comment was merely to add to my list.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Keeping up ≠ working without bugs on machines well ahead of the requirements for running the OS. In any case, I actually have more 'bugs' currently on my brand-new MBP; the G4 comment was merely to add to my list.

Sure.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:

To add to my earlier list, the inability to reconnect to SMB shares on wake from sleep is pretty annoying, among various other issues with sleep.

Perhaps this will help you:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...80328110504281

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...30625104447795
  • Reply 27 of 27

Interestingly, I've already randomly tried what the first link suggests, without having specifically read it. The second is interesting, but I would only want them to load on login when I'm at work, and I can imagine it complaining that the links are unavailable when I'm not; I'll give it a go. Cheers.