British English Help: Usage of "An"

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I need some help. I'm trying to find some kind of rule or documentation that describes the British usage of the article "an" before words beginning with an "h" that is followed by a vowel.

i.e.

American = "a hotel room"

British = "an hotel room"

I suspect that this is simply about Americans pronouncing the "h" and Brits not really doing it so much.

Can anyone find me a rule or source documenting this? Google didn't turn much up, but I'm sure I'm not looking for the right terms.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Nevermind. I found it in something we have around the house called a "book."

For anyone interested...it goes like this:

The old rule is that if the word begins with an "h" and the first syllable is not accented, it gets an "an."
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Duly noted.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I always played it by ear; write what sounds right.

an hour

a hiccup
  • Reply 4 of 24
    i thought that if the word had a short 'o' vowel sound as opposed to long 'o' after the h it was proper to use 'an '.

an honest mistake

a hopeless situation

but usually i use whatever sounds right
  • Reply 5 of 24
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I know that the word "historic" is supposed to have an "an" before it.

"This is an historic day for string cheese."
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

i thought that if the word had a short 'o' vowel sound as opposed to long 'o' after the h it was proper to use 'an '.

an honest mistake

a hopeless situation

but usually i use whatever sounds right

English drives me nuts sometimes. "honest" has an emphasis on the first syllable but takes an "an" as its article. Hopeless has an accented first syllable and takes an "a." See? It's completely consistent!
  • Reply 7 of 24
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I know that the word "historic" is supposed to have an "an" before it.

"This is an historic day for string cheese."

Err... The H is pronounced in British English. Therefore the correct way to say it is "a historic", not "an historic".

Also, the word "herb", Americans for some reason pronunce it "erb". The British say "Herb".

*Edited to add: Therefore Americans might say "Parsley is an erb" while the English would say "Parsley is a herb".

Cheers
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Also, the word "herb", Americans for some reason pronunce it "erb". The British say "Herb".

<EddieIzzard>Because there's a fucking "H" in it.</EddieIzzard>
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

English drives me nuts sometimes. "honest" has an emphasis on the first syllable but takes an "an" as its article. Hopeless has an accented first syllable and takes an "a." See? It's completely consistent!

Midwinter, I don't think it has anything to do with the accented syllable. It only has to do with whether the H is pronounced or not. Therefore it is only logical that "Hopeless" should be preceded by "a".

Likewise with "Uniform" and "Umbrella". Both begin with a U but the pronunciation of "uniform" sounds like it begins with a Y and therefore is preceded by "a" rather than "an" whereas "umbrella" needs an "an".

Cheers
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

<EddieIzzard>Because there's a fucking "H" in it.</EddieIzzard>

Am a fan of Eddie Izzard

Cheers
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Midwinter, I don't think it has anything to do with the accented syllable. It only has to do with whether the H is pronounced or not. Therefore it is only logical that "Hopeless" should be preceded by "a".

Likewise with "Uniform" and "Umbrella". Both begin with a U but the pronunciation of "uniform" sounds like it begins with a Y and therefore is preceded by "a" rather than "an" whereas "umbrella" needs an "an".

Cheers

I understand that. That was, in fact, how I had always understood the rule to work: if the h was pronounced, it took an "a" ("a history"); if it wasn't ("an hysterical woman") it took an "an." But then I found that rule in one of my rulebooks that argued that it was about primary, secondary, and tertiary placement of accented syllables.

In short, I think I managed to "rule" myself out of what I always thought (and what seems to) be correct.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

I understand that. That was, in fact, how I had always understood the rule to work: if the h was pronounced, it took an "a" ("a history"); if it wasn't ("an hysterical woman") it took an "an." But then I found that rule in one of my rulebooks that argued that it was about primary, secondary, and tertiary placement of accented syllables.

In short, I think I managed to "rule" myself out of what I always thought (and what seems to) be correct.

I just go by the pronunciation. That's how I was taught in India (a former British colony if you remember )

BTW, (sorry to keep correcting you) "Hysterical" - the H is pronounced. It is "Hysterical", not Ysterical", therefore preceded by "a", not "an".

Cheers

*Edited to correct typos*
  • Reply 13 of 24
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Yeah, English blows. Anyone that would study it must be a real douche.

Wait...HEY!
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

I just go by the pronunciation. That's how I was taught in India (a former British colony if you remember )

BTW, (sorry to keep correcting you) "Hysterical" - the H is pronounced. It is "Hysterical", not Ysterical", therefore preceded by "a", not "an".

Cheers

*Edited to correct typos*

Really? I find an almost equal number of references in Google Books to "an hysterical" and "a hysterical." I assume we're talking about RP English here and not just some random dialect, correct?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Really? I find an almost equal number of references in Google Books to "an hysterical" and "a hysterical." I assume we're talking about RP English here and not just some random dialect, correct?

Yes, I am talking about RP English

Cheers
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Yes, I am talking about RP English

Cheers

Can you provide a few examples of words with a non-aspirated "h" at the beginning in RP? Now I'm really curious.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    An yways ?

English drives me nuts

-t
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Can you provide a few examples of words with a non-aspirated "h" at the beginning in RP? Now I'm really curious.

OK, I am just back from the bar and I am not exactly sober but I shall attempt:

Honest

Hour

Shit, I cannot think of any more right now, give me a few hours! On the other hand maybe these are the only words that have a silent H at the beginning!

And BTW, when you're spelling orally, the letter H is pronounced "aitch" and not "hetch"

Cheers
  • Reply 19 of 24
    One more word occurred to me - Honour!

Cheers

And BTW for the Americans in this group, Honour is spelt with a U. It is not Honor! And it is certainly not

Alooooooominum" it is AlumiminIUm, pronounced "alumi NI YUM"

Cheers
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I haven't gone to bed yet and I am still drunk, so please bear with me

Cheers

*edited to correct 'ned' to 'bed', I am still too drunk!