Reports: iPhone share slips as 8GB model discontinued in UK

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

That certainly didn't help. I was somewhat confused by the choice of O2 by Apple back then and my opinion of O2's service hasn't changed.

I believe I read that the average 3G speed on O2 was 128Kb/s. I just did the speed test 3x on AT&T's network using my iPhone. and got anywhere from 180kb/s to 260kb/s, with a mean average around 215kb/s. For comparison, I average a little over 1.5Mbps with my AT&T 3G Sierra Wireless USB Connect 881.

I'm curious to know what others are getting and what country they are located in:

edit: I found the article. Apparently you can call and get O2's highest tier turned on; which is a whopping 384kb/s. Even at the maximum it's still shtitty shitty bang bang. Even EDGE can get nearly 1Mb/s. How many other carriers throttle back the service to such low speeds?
  • Reply 22 of 34
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    O2 were limiting, by default it seems, some customers to 128kbps due to a 'provisioning error'. They've now 'fixed' that and you should get 1.3mbps on HSDPA 3G equipment or 7.2mpbs some time this year.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile...ed-Problems/p1

They'd be nuts not to fix it bearing in mind Vodafone, Orange, Three, t-mobile all do higher speeds already. See what I mean about my opinion of O2 though?

edit: I bet they limit EDGE speeds too.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:

O2 were limiting, by default it seems, some customers to 128kbps due to a 'provisioning error'. They've now 'fixed' that and you should get 1.3mbps on HSDPA 3G equipment or 7.2mpbs some time this year.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile...ed-Problems/p1

They'd be nuts not to fix it bearing in mind Vodafone, Orange, Three, t-mobile all do higher speeds already. See what I mean about my opinion of O2 though?

edit: I bet they limit EDGE speeds too.

Stick me in that cynic category. That site needs to learn the difference between 'b' and 'B'.

What kind of speeds are you getting?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

www.iphonespeedtest.com

Spot the N95 owner in the comments - http://iphonespeedtest.com/?page_id=9
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:

What kind of speeds are you getting?

Where I am there's no 3G and no EDGE anyway as I live in a hilly region. I'm more likely to buy an iPhone for a decent VoIP client than 3G. I bought one of these last week - http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/pi...alphone_dp-l10 which I'm waiting on arriving. We'll see if that works or gets eBayed inside a month.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

Spot the N95 owner in the comments - http://iphonespeedtest.com/?page_id=9

That is nice, but my AT&T 3G card has set the bar higher than that. 50% higher to be exact. I wish that post stated which UK carrier was used.

PS: I started a new thread so Click Here to post your speed test results, instead of highjacking this thread any more than I already have.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

Where I am there's no 3G and no EDGE anyway as I live in a hilly region. I'm more likely to buy an iPhone for a decent VoIP client than 3G. I bought one of these last week - http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/pi...alphone_dp-l10 which I'm waiting on arriving. We'll see if that works or gets eBayed inside a month.

I'm glad to see more WiFI phones arriving. I didn't know Pirelli made anything besides tires.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    I took the 'High speed' speed test on my N95-8GB and got 389kbps. That's still 3 times faster than the average iPhone speed, so pretty good overall.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I took the 'High speed' speed test on my N95-8GB and got 389kbps. That's still 3 times faster than the average iPhone speed, so pretty good overall.

And you live where and have what carrier?

That speed seems pretty low for 3G.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

And you live where and have what carrier?

That speed seems pretty low for 3G.

Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. Three network. I live right on the fringe of the city, so my 3G coverage isn't very good. Frankly, I was expecting lower than I did because in my house I quite often switch between 3G and 2G. I work in the city centre and speed tests there indicate 1mbps or so.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:

I'm glad to see more WiFI phones arriving. I didn't know Pirelli made anything besides tires.

And Calendars.

They also do a newer clamshell - http://www.mobilegazette.com/pirelli...0-07x04x02.htm - but at the price sipgate were doing it I couldn't resist. It'll replace an analogue phone connected to my old Draytek Vigor 2800VG voip router and my business mobile in one handy handset.

There's also a hack for it to allow 5 VoIP profiles so in theory I can run 7 phone lines off one handset. (two GSM, 5 VoIP). Currently I've need for 4 of those lines.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... and lackluster demand for its overpriced iPhone in Western Europe," said analyst Neil Mawston.

I'm getting so tired of this. Especially now, with the weak dollar, the price difference of Apple products sold in the US and in Europe is embarrassing. If you'd fly to Miami, buy a macbook pro and iphone and fly back, you'd still pay less than what Apple is charging in Europe. It's just not right
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fpsanders View Post

I'm getting so tired of this. Especially now, with the weak dollar, the price difference of Apple products sold in the US and in Europe is embarrassing. If you'd fly to Miami, buy a macbook pro and iphone and fly back, you'd still pay less than what Apple is charging in Europe. It's just not right

Did you take into consideration the variances in VAT and US sales tax?
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fpsanders View Post

I don't know about Amsterdam but it doesn't stack up well for a UK v US comparison.

US MBP = $1999 + tax.

UK MBP = £1105.53 + tax ($2193.42)

US iPhone = $399 + tax or $499 + tax

UK iPhone = £143.83 + tax (at O2/CW if you could get one) or £280 +tax for the 16GB model. (ie. $285 or $555)

So, the cheapest iPhone and MBP costs $2478 in the UK and in the US it costs $2398 or with the most expensive iPhone, $2748 here and $2498 there.

Surely flying to Miami costs more than the $80 to $250 difference? Airport tax alone would wipe out the $80. Then you've got to buy a UK power adaptor, unlock your iPhone, be ok with a US keyboard, forego warranty.... And last but not least, UK customs might ask you to pay import duty (5% IIRC) and VAT on top of the purchase AND the import duty when you return anyway. It could end up easily costing you more without even the flight price.

The prices are different, and they shouldn't be so different, but they're not wildly different after figuring in tax. Not wildly enough different that I'd want to go to America anyway. Now Amsterdam on the other hand...

It is odd though that Apple's UK prices are always higher than their US prices. Currency fluctuations never bring it lower than the US price.