Macbook or Macbook Pro/New or Refurb

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm sure that it has been posted here before (probably hundreds of times at that), but I'm thinking of converting from my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop (15", 80 GB, Core 2 Duo) to one of the Mac laptops. I teach at university (and use my laptop all the time for my lectures) and do music things with the rest of my time. So here is what I need to know...

1. What is the main difference between the Macbook and Macbook Pro? I can't seem to get a straight answer from people I've talked to.

2. New or Refurb and any issues with either? If I were to go Macbook I'd probably go new, but if I went MBP I would probably go refurb due to cost.

3. Should I really switch or stick with my current setup?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    1. Screen size, mainly. Keyboards are very different. Price is very different.

2. I've never bought a refurb Mac, so I'm not much help to ya there.

3. And yes, I'd switch. You'll see that iLife is much better and easier than the free or pay crap that is on Windows.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Refurbished devices are generally in like new condition. The only difference is they don't come in a fancy box. I've purchased several over the past two years.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueMeanie23 View Post

1. What is the main difference between the Macbook and Macbook Pro? I can't seem to get a straight answer from people I've talked to.

Screen size as mentioned - resolution too. The Macbook screen can get pretty cramped.

MBP has a great graphics chip, the MB one is pretty bad. The MBP one is about 10 times faster if not more. If you don't need 3D stuff or moving graphics, it won't matter much.

The MB is lighter and the hard drive and Ram are much easier to replace.

The MBP has a non-glossy display option, which is nice if you don't like reflections.

The MBP has a backlit keyboard - this can help in dark lecture rooms when doing a presentation.

MBP has an express-card slot too but you likely won't find many uses for it.

Quote:

I would switch - I think PC laptops are horrible to use other than the small, light ones like the Sony Vaio series. Check if you need certain connections though. Macs don't have serial/parallel ports for old printers/scanners etc. You get USB, firewire, DVI (which has adaptors for VGA, S-video), Gigabit ethernet, non-'standard' audio in (you need a line-level mic), audio out.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Hrmm...I can't decide if spending the extra is worth going to the MBP or not.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

Make the decision on the new Macbooks when they appear - possibly next month. If they are indeed metal and have some better spec, the choice might be easier to make.

If you can't wait, I'd recommend the matte screen MBP. I've used both and IMO, the MBP is just a better machine. I prefer the MB keyboard and latch but the screen on the MBP is better and it seems to run smoother.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    ^ Agreed. Doesn't sound like you need the extra power of the MBP but it is a much more capable machine.

Depends if aesthetics & price are a big deal for your purchase
  • Reply 7 of 33
    deimosdeimos Posts: 11member
    My sister has one of the older MacBooks and I used to use it until I got my MacBook Pro and I have to say that the MacBook Pro is definitely a much more refined system. I didn't like the integrated graphics on the MacBook, which on hers, I think is the older GMA 950 and not the more capable GMA X3100. If you do get a MacBook, consider getting additional ram for it after the purchase. It is insanely easy to install and should help with performance and aftermarket laptop ram is pretty cheap these days as well, especially on sites like Newegg.

As others have said, I personally think that for your uses, the MacBook would provide a better value. If you can, wait out to see what the new MacBooks bring to the table. If you can't, get one now and enjoy using a Mac. I am so glad that I have switched over to a Mac from the PC world, even though I have to use a PC at work. Although, lately, I find myself simply using remote desktop for mac to connect to my desktop and work with Windows that way, even though the desktop is literally on the same desk as my MacBook Pro

As for buying new vs refurb, there is nothing wrong with buying a refurb machine, but you may want to consider the educational discount provided by apple, which would put their lower end MacBook just under the $1,000 mark.

Any way you go, wish you the best of luck with your decision.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    I'd say that if you aren't eligible for an educational discount, definitely buy refurbished. It's the best deal.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    All students, faculty, and employees are eligable for education discounts.

When are the new models rolling out? I heard possibly June. Anyone know?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:

All students, faculty, and employees are eligable for education discounts.

Refurb prices are still better than the education discount. The main difference in the two is that you cannot build a refurb to order, you are limited to the configuration of the stock on hand. Normally, that is not restrictive, I can easily find refurbs that fit my needs.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    Quote:

2. New or Refurb and any issues with either? If I were to go Macbook I'd probably go new, but if I went MBP I would probably go refurb due to cost.

Thanks!

1. Right now the MBP has a vastly better display (available in matte as well, which I prefer); higher screen resolution; a far sturdier case (MB plastics are brittle in my experience); slightly better battery life due to the LED backlight on the display; a better trackpad that has a nicer button and supports the extra commands introduced with the iPhone; a massively better graphics chip (three times the 3D speed) with 256MB of its own memory rather than borrowing the system RAM; FireWire 800 in addition to the standard FireWire; and an expansion slot for ExpressCard (for things like cell phone broadband wireless modems or ESATA for hard drives).

2. A refurb MBP at this point will probably be the previous generation C2D Merom/Santa Rosa chipset as opposed to the current C2D Penryn/Santa Rosa. The main differences are a 2.2GHz CPU rather than 2.4GHz and that the Merom CPU uses more power and runs hotter than the Penryn. This will be a factor if you run off the battery a lot and use the computer directly on your lap. The Penryn is amazingly cool running. In the educational channel, just buy new -- it's $100 more than the refurb and it's worth that for getting an extra half hour on the battery and not overheating your lap. At the $300 difference that everyone ese pays, that's a slightly tougher sell. If you can find a refurb Penryn, then by all means buy it right away.

3. Switch, switch, SWITCH. You know you want to. Though a sober voice tells me -- that's still a pretty recent processor on your Dell (most likely a Merom CPU). Would a hard drive upgrade (that's a small drive in my book) solve your problems? A RAM upgrade? Or is Windows driving you to distraction?
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

1. Right now the MBP has a vastly better display (available in matte as well, which I prefer); higher screen resolution; a far sturdier case (MB plastics are brittle in my experience); slightly better battery life due to the LED backlight on the display; a better trackpad that has a nicer button and supports the extra commands introduced with the iPhone; a massively better graphics chip (three times the 3D speed) with 256MB of its own memory rather than borrowing the system RAM; FireWire 800 in addition to the standard FireWire; and an expansion slot for ExpressCard (for things like cell phone broadband wireless modems or ESATA for hard drives).

2. A refurb MBP at this point will probably be the previous generation C2D Merom/Santa Rosa chipset as opposed to the current C2D Penryn/Santa Rosa. The main differences are a 2.2GHz CPU rather than 2.4GHz and that the Merom CPU uses more power and runs hotter than the Penryn. This will be a factor if you run off the battery a lot and use the computer directly on your lap. The Penryn is amazingly cool running. In the educational channel, just buy new -- it's $100 more than the refurb and it's worth that for getting an extra half hour on the battery and not overheating your lap. At the $300 difference that everyone ese pays, that's a slightly tougher sell. If you can find a refurb Penryn, then by all means buy it right away.

3. Switch, switch, SWITCH. You know you want to. Though a sober voice tells me -- that's still a pretty recent processor on your Dell (most likely a Merom CPU). Would a hard drive upgrade (that's a small drive in my book) solve your problems? A RAM upgrade? Or is Windows driving you to distraction?

Current model MBP's, 17" and 15", 2.4 GHz, 2.6 GHz, and even a 2.6GHz, are available right now at the Apple Store online, under refurbed Macs. They're selling at 25% & 26% off of the original price. A 17" high res models is $800 off!
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Guess the new updates won't be out until at least July...\
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Anyone think the updates in July are gonna have the new LED screens? Or is that wishful thinking?
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

Anyone think the updates in July are gonna have the new LED screens? Or is that wishful thinking?

Nobody here even knows for sure if there will be an update in July, much less what it will amount to. Those that do know, and they are damn few, have signed an NDA.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Go with the refurbished MBP's. The refurbished units are much more inexpensive than a new machine and they have the fu.ll standard warranty and are also eligible for Applecare. I've bought three refurbished machines (2.0 Gh 20" iMac with a 250 GB HDD and 2GB Ram, G4 12" PB and a 2.16 GHz 15.4" 120 GB HDD @ 7200 rpm,2 GB RAM, 256 MB VRAM). All have worked perfectly since day 1! Go for it!
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Does the extra video capabilities of a MBP help with anything other than possibly gaming and designing (video-stressing software)?

I mean if I am only going to be doing normal school work and occasionally watching movies on my laptop, its not like the regular MB won't be able to display the movies well right?
  • Reply 18 of 33
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I would buy a Macbook right now if they sold a 15 inch version. Apple is the only computer company without a reasonably priced 15 inch laptop. I'm sure they are losing sales because of it.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harrison486 View Post

Does the extra video capabilities of a MBP help with anything other than possibly gaming and designing (video-stressing software)?

I mean if I am only going to be doing normal school work and occasionally watching movies on my laptop, its not like the regular MB won't be able to display the movies well right?

Yes. For movies and normal school work the MB is fine.

For games, or any 3D work not so much.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

There are a couple of things you should factor in. Educational discount is only one. Mail order stores offer discounts that are sometimes greater than the educational discount, but be sure that isn't offset by shipping charges. Look for free shipping. If your state has sales tax, that could offset educ. discounts. Apple online and Apple stores charge sales tax. Mail order usually don't.

Try MacMall, Amazon, and some of the other mail order stores. The usual rebates are $75 and $100 on MacBooks and $150 on MacBook Pros.

Hey guys, do you know of any better mail order stores?