After the new iMac, Where is the new Mini?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Jeez, you put in two flat surfaces (putty knives or similar) and push.

And what did your grandmother say when you told her this was all the skills she would need to be a computer technician?
  • Reply 62 of 95
    I'm guessing that the "average grandma" wouldn't even bother to upgrade RAM in any case. (No matter how easy it might be.)
  • Reply 63 of 95
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    Quote:

Jeez, you put in two flat surfaces (putty knives or similar) and push.

I don't think so. It requires quite a good deal of exertion to open it. Those things are jammed in tight. You also have to prize it open evenly. Without question one of the stupidest designs I've ever seen in my life.

My very first computer which was a quadra or something had a flip up lid. I could access the Ram slots and hard drive within seconds. For it to take nearly 10-15 minutes on a modern computer is just plain stupid.

I wish for once Apple wouldn't design a box and then ask their engineers to fit a computer in it and instead ask the engineers to build a good machine and then ask their designers to build the box around it.

I don't think that Apple will do this though. Form over function is what they know. Same with including an SD card reader etc. They can't even put CD eject buttons on their machines.
  • Reply 64 of 95
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

My very first computer which was a quadra or something had a flip up lid. I could access the Ram slots and hard drive within seconds. For it to take nearly 10-15 minutes on a modern computer is just plain stupid.

Even before the Quadra, the Mac IIcx (1989-1991) was really a very well thought design (5.5"x11.9"x14.4"), the Quadra 700 (1991-1994) shared almost the same enclosure:

• Reply 65 of 95
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't think so. It requires quite a good deal of exertion to open it. Those things are jammed in tight. You also have to prize it open evenly. Without question one of the stupidest designs I've ever seen in my life.

Oddly, I did it unevenly and it didn't take a lot of strength/exertion given the leverage of the handles on the putty knives. Sliding them in there without scratching anything was the largest challenge and only involved going slowly and not jamming it in there but making sure the blade edge was really in the space and pushing smoothly. The second edge is more challenging since it is a tighter fit but a unless you're using a thick blade the edge still slides in.

Would screws be easier? Sure. But is it really a big deal? Nah.
  • Reply 66 of 95
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I would prefer some engineering instead of just cramming parts into as small a box as possible just to show everyone they can do it.
  • Reply 67 of 95
    Quote:

Firewire 400/800

eSATA

TV Tuner

Docking Station and/or expansion chassis = Video Card

3G/CDMA/EVDO/GRPS/UMTS

SSD

Memory Card (CS, MS, SD, xD, etc)

extra NIC or 802.11N

serial or parallel port

My needs are actually fairly generic since it encompasses a lot of other desires. It answers a significant number of expansion desires with a direct PCIe connection (alas only 1x) route.

With an expresscard I can run a 30" ACD if I need to. It would be hideously expensive but I could do it.

you and the two other people in the world the thing is your not even sure IF you would.. if you get my point.

the mini should be all about KISS - keep it simple.

its the low end, leave it that way.
  • Reply 68 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I'm guessing that the "average grandma" wouldn't even bother to upgrade RAM in any case. (No matter how easy it might be.)

Exactly!

I got into mine with ONE bread knife. its really a non issue, i don't have a grandmother, other wise i might be inclined to sit her down to open the thing and upgrade the ram, and then post it on youtube as proof.

if you cant get into the mini in the first place, you have no need/right to get into ANY machine, most "grandmothers" wouldnt use a screw driver to get into a generic PC FFS and honestly who cares if THEY break?
  • Reply 69 of 95
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Even before the Quadra, the Mac IIcx (1989-1991) was really a very well thought design (5.5"x11.9"x14.4"), the Quadra 700 (1991-1994) shared almost the same enclosure

If Apple had made an Intel version of that, I'd be far more impressed than I am with the Mini's size. The Mini's size means nothing to me because I know it's a laptop. Same with the iMac.

Apple have a simple OS to work with - they should make changes so that their hardware is simple to work with too. It cuts down service times for one thing but I guess if their techs get paid by the hour that's not such a good thing.

Why make it so your average joe can replace their own HD when you can force them to pay a tech £50 an hour to do it? The new iMac is just the worst, having to take a display out to get to the HD is insanity.

You could fit 8 minis in that box but newer components could easily have allowed them to fit good components into a box 2-3 times the size.
  • Reply 70 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

you and the two other people in the world the thing is your not even sure IF you would.. if you get my point.

Eh what? If the current mini had an expresscard slot I'd use it immediately for an eSATA card. You would use it immediately for a FW 400/800 card.

An expresscard slot is simplicity in terms of expansion. You plug it in...boom. Assuming Mac drivers exist anyway.

It is the use of a expansion bay for a graphics card that I doubt I would use due to the cost. The current bay for the MBP is a grand by itself so I might as well just get a Mac Pro unless I had some serious size constraints.
  • Reply 71 of 95
    Quote:

Right now its really simple and really low end. That's why the switchers who it is actually meant for don't buy it.
  • Reply 72 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Right now its really simple and really low end. That's why the switchers who it is actually meant for don't buy it.

Bold assertion. Prove it.

It seems to generate enough sales that Apple is keeping it. And it's not "really low end" except for the GPU. Show me a "really low end" PC with C2D, Bluetooth, 802.11G and a remote stock.
  • Reply 73 of 95
    Show me one that still has a combo drive and a 80GB hard drive. Apple's keeping it around because they don't want to admit they were wrong and to have something to make the iMac look like a great deal.
  • Reply 74 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Show me one that still has a combo drive and a 80GB hard drive. Apple's keeping it around because they don't want to admit they were wrong and to have something to make the iMac look like a great deal.

Really low end:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8304655

Your turn.
  • Reply 75 of 95
    Quote:

Really low end:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8304655

Your turn.

The mini costs x3 the cost of that. You want a DVD / RW pay x4 and you still have 1gb of ram. You can get DVD / RW drives for $20 - $35 and DVD / CDRW are about $10 less.
  • Reply 76 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

The mini costs x3 the cost of that. You want a DVD / RW pay x4 and you still have 1gb of ram. You can get DVD / RW drives for $20 - $35 and DVD / CDRW are about $10 less.

Still his turn to show a "really low end" machine with C2D, bluetooth, 802.11 and remote as stock. He should have gone first but what the hell, he challenged, I answered.

The fact is that a mini is not "really low end" either in price or performance. There are no "really low end" machines with a C2D processor. These have semperons, celerons or C7-Ds.
  • Reply 77 of 95
    Quote:

Still his turn to show a "really low end" machine with C2D, bluetooth, 802.11 and remote as stock. He should have gone first but what the hell, he challenged, I answered.

The fact is that a mini is not "really low end" either in price or performance. There are no "really low end" machines with a C2D processor. These have semperons, celerons or C7-Ds.

not all desktop users need built in Wifi and bluetooth is a battery waster. Why put a wireless key board and mouse on a desktop make it and wifi a add on and spend there cost on a better cpu, bigger and faster desktop HD, more ram, better video card and so on.

Also amd x2 cpu are just as good as low end intel cpus with lower cost MB's.

Amd / ati has good on board video that can use side port ram and work with a real video card to give you more power look at the up coming 790gx ati boards.
  • Reply 78 of 95
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Absolutely. Why not offer that choice. I've got all the "stuff" to run with it... 23" monitor and all the keyboards and mice I can use, AND software.... But I don't need a Mac Pro

Ding ding ding! Here's part of the answer as to why Apple hasn't given in. They want you to buy new monitors/keyboards/mice from them, not keep your old ones. Hence the push for the all-in-one as their mid range machine. Then, each time you buy a new computer, you buy all the stuff with it instead of keeping the peripherals for several generations since they still work well.
  • Reply 79 of 95
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    aaple, now that's a reply I can really understand! EXACTLY. I know it is almost naive of me to expect a company to provide me with something I actually want-- and don't get me wrong, I love the "all in one," but I admit I hate the dangles, which we always end up with all over and around the desk. I sort of see the MacPro as the Ultimate Dangle!

btw, has anyone run a 23" apple monitor monitor off a 24" iMac? Just looking for some reactions/thoughts.
  • Reply 80 of 95
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

DVI works with monitors AND HDMI with the small addition of an adaptor, how many monitors out in the wild have HDMI AS WELL? not that many.

My parents' Acer monitor has VGA, DVI, and HDMI inputs.