Apple on MacBook Air, Jobs' plane, leases, R&D, NAND flash, more...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

All good stuff. I'd like to see the footprint reduced too, while retaining the full-size keyboard and most or all of the screen size. A bit of 'trimming around the bezel", as it were.

Unless Apple uses new materials I don't see the footprint being reduced I don't think that will happen. The main issue I see with reducing the footprint is structural integrity. The MBA is quite rugged for it's size and weight, even compared to other Macs. Most other notebooks don't even come close.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Besides spellchecking the old adage of proofreading is always welcomed.

I admit it's complete laziness on my part. Perhaps this is National Proofreading Day. Damn you Kasper!
  • Reply 22 of 49
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    You know what I don't get?

He is STEVE JOBS! How the heck does he have such a drab paint job on his jet? He should at least have some cool tail art, something inspiring, or at the very least an Apple logo!

It just boggles my mind that Jobs has a such a drab-looking jet. Gods, if I could afford my own jet I'd definitely want it more interesting looking than that!
  • Reply 23 of 49
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Unless Apple uses new materials I don't see the footprint being reduced I don't think that will happen. The main issue I see with reducing the footprint is structural integrity. The MBA is quite rugged for it's size and weight, even compared to other Macs. Most other notebooks don't even come close.

I dunno, we'll see. *shrug*

I seem to remember reading rumors that the next MB Air will indeed have a smaller footprint, but the batting average of such things is of course never solid, unless we're talking a few days before an actual release.

• Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

You know what I don't get?

He is STEVE JOBS! How the heck does he have such a drab paint job on his jet? He should at least have some cool tail art, something inspiring, or at the very least an Apple logo!

It just boggles my mind that Jobs has a such a drab-looking jet. Gods, if I could afford my own jet I'd definitely want it more interesting looking than that!

If I had a Gulf Stream and was world famous I would keep the outside as plain as possible as to not to attract attention. It's the interior that I'd make my own. After all, that is where I'll be spending all my time.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:

If I had a Gulf Stream and was world famous I would keep the outside as plain as possible as to not to attract attention. It's the interior that I'd make my own. After all, that is where I'll be spending all my time.

And you don't think Steve dances on the wings enroute?
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:

Not me. I'd be out on the wing, doing the macarena at 500 knots.

j/k

• Reply 27 of 49
    Holy cats, David Stevenson! Great minds think alike. *air five*

• Reply 28 of 49
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I like the look of the Gulfstream - understated, white, clean lines, handsome in a quiet way. Kind of like the white iMac.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I think it will with the 22mm chipsets becoming standard and the cost of SSD coming down while capacity increases. And if sales do fall below what Apple wants the price will also fall to compensate.

But I don't think we'll see a price drop anytime soon. I do hope that we see a increased battery life and an UMTS card (that doesn't get rid of 802.11 and BT in the process).

Wow! 22mm chipsets, I didn't know they were going to such a large line size. The chip must be the size of a dining table.

Ha. Really got you here.

You can't even edit it out.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    See, even I got caught.

It should have been football field!
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Wow! 22mm chipsets, I didn't know they were going to such a large line size. The chip must be the size of a dining table.

Ha. Really got you here.

You can't even edit it out.

I meant the package. This lack of editing is nerve-wraking.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

I knew the MBA would be a hit, but I wouldn't have thought the niche machine would would be primary driver of sales.

I'd really like to hear from the marketing geniuses who posted in this forum when the MBA hit the streets. As I recall they called it things like DOA, useless, "the next Cube", stupid, etc. Funny how we never hear from these guys when they have egg on their faces. Just asking.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Though I see in the Intel keynot image posted on the AnandTech page that the chipset can also come as 35mm^2. I hope someone cracks open these iMacs soon. I'm dying to know what is inside.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I'd really like to hear from the marketing geniuses who posted in this forum when the MBA hit the streets. As I recall they called it things like DOA, useless, "the next Cube", stupid, etc. Funny how we never hear from these guys when they have egg on their faces. Just asking.

There will be a few who think it's POS and still post about it from time to time, but I think they are thinking from their POV, not the market as a whole.

January was a rough month for the AI regulars. So many negative comments in so little time. I think most of them were new posters who no longer frequent the forum.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I've been with you on this (even gave away a few as gifts when they came out and turned a lot of people onto them).

Wow! I want to be your friend!

Quote:

There will be a few who think it's POS and still post about it from time to time, but I think they are thinking from their POV, not the market as a whole.

January was a rough month for the AI regulars. So many negative comments in so little time. I think most of them were new posters who no longer frequent the forum.

I think it is the usual story with the haters who post negative stuff, once they get shown up, its on to somewhere else to spread the joy.

As for me, I was fairly ambivalent about the MBA until I went in and saw it last week. Yes, it has taken THIS LONG for it to come to small town New Zealand (don't get me started on that one), but once I saw it in person and picked it up... wow that thing is electronic sex I tell you. What a piece of engineering! I am dreaming of getting one after it hits Rev B.

Anyone want to take a punt when that is coming?
  • Reply 36 of 49
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Wow! I want to be your friend!

I think it is the usual story with the haters who post negative stuff, once they get shown up, its on to somewhere else to spread the joy.

As for me, I was fairly ambivalent about the MBA until I went in and saw it last week. Yes, it has taken THIS LONG for it to come to small town New Zealand (don't get me started on that one), but once I saw it in person and picked it up... wow that thing is electronic sex I tell you. What a piece of engineering! I am dreaming of getting one after it hits Rev B.

Anyone want to take a punt when that is coming?

And I was just listening to a bunch of Tall Dwarfs as I read this....

Yeah, once you actually use one, you can't help but like it. It may not fit some people's needs, but the anger and hate were way off the scale for no reason. I'm hoping a Rev. B comes out later this year so I can pick one up when I take some time to travel and finish a novel. It'll be perfect for that.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

when I take some time to travel and finish a novel.

Yeah, I'm a slow reader too.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:

Yeah, I'm a slow reader too.

Ha! I walked right into that one.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I don't think the Mac Book Air sold in huge numbers. What it did do was get people in the door and check out Apple's notebooks. Once they check out all three most go for the MacBook or the MacBook Pro. There was also some pent up demand from a small segment of the market that wanted a sub-notebook from Apple. Going forward the Air will attract customers but not translate into significant sales.

They also dragged people like me into the store. I went to go see the MBA at the local store (I already own a MBP, not thinking of a new comp, just wanted to see). I left with a wireless keyboard.

Basically, the more people in the store, for whatever reason, the more sales. It's way too hard to go in there and not buy something. Darn sexy NYC stores...
  • Reply 40 of 49
    You have to hold down the Control key (or right click) and choose to open in a new window or tab when you click the Edit button.