When are new MacBooks coming?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've read most of the threads on these forums about the new MB and MBP, but when are they coming out? Also will the MacBook have the special touchpad gestures that the MBP and MBA have? I really want that. Also does/will the new MB have LED screens? I cant wait to buy my MacBook, but I'm not sure if I should wait or not! Awesome site/forums guys, keep up the good work !
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 31
    trobertstroberts Posts: 701member
    I think late August, at the latest, because Apple is going to want the MacBook and MacBook Pro to be using the Montevina platform before the school year starts.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Awesome! What are the odds of them having LED screens and touchpad gestures?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronfield View Post


    What are the odds of them having LED screens and touchpad gestures?



    Very good.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    nikeddemusnikeddemus Posts: 37member
    Any chance at June? I read on here by somebody who read like they knew what they were talking about that June was a good possibility.



    And these IMacs look exactly like the old ones. wtf is that?
  • Reply 5 of 31
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post


    Any chance at June? I read on here by somebody who read like they knew what they were talking about that June was a good possibility.



    And these IMacs look exactly like the old ones. wtf is that?



    The only thing that will keep them from shipping in June is if they have problems with the new design for the case. I really think its likely that there will be an annoucement at WWDC with new MBs.



    The iMac is a really new design, so I doubt they are going to change much in the near future.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post


    Any chance at June? I read on here by somebody who read like they knew what they were talking about that June was a good possibility.



    And these IMacs look exactly like the old ones. wtf is that?



    You've seen them?
  • Reply 7 of 31
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nikeddemus View Post


    Any chance at June? I read on here by somebody who read like they knew what they were talking about that June was a good possibility.



    And these IMacs look exactly like the old ones. wtf is that?



    My money is on a June / WWDC announcement for new MacBooks. Montevina is due before the end of MAy and rival manufacturers will aim to start shipping early June, so Apple won't want to delay, especially if Centrino 2 gives the competition something to shout about in terms of improved performance.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    nikeddemusnikeddemus Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post


    My money is on a June / WWDC announcement for new MacBooks. Montevina is due before the end of MAy and rival manufacturers will aim to start shipping early June, so Apple won't want to delay, especially if Centrino 2 gives the competition something to shout about in terms of improved performance.



    You're the person I was quoting as that you knew what you were talking about.



    So, if they're going to announce it as the convention in June, does that mean they'll let you preorder it the day after? The MBA had a two week preorder time, should I expect that?
  • Reply 9 of 31
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,148member
    Hey Tailpipe,

    I think announcing any new Macs in June is going to be hard to foresee with all of the rumors seeming to coalesce around a 3G iPhone at WWDC on June 9th.. I would love it, but you know how Apple likes to spread the wealth when it comes to announcing new products.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    iextremeiextreme Posts: 22member
    I think that new MB's and (MBP's) could be announced in the June/July timeframe as Apple would want to drive up their back-to-school sales. An August launch would be slightly late in regards to that.



    Now, I have little knowledge of the entire Montevina thing, but it's possible Apple will release the new case designs even before M becomes widely available (just to drive up the school sales) and then make another launch in November to drive up the holiday sales. They've done it before during 2005/2006.



    Back then, they made the regular upgrades during the spring as OS X Tiger launched and in October/November they upgrades the Powerbook. (I remember cause I was pissed off, because I had just bought the previous PB) and then, in January (2006) just 2-3 months after the PB upgrade the launched the MBP...



    With Apple... Almost anything is possible...
  • Reply 11 of 31
    mrorangemrorange Posts: 3member
    New MBP for the WWDC !!!!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Will the new macbook have the aluminium disign???
  • Reply 13 of 31
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramanusosa View Post


    Will the new macbook have the aluminium disign???



    Let's hope so. I saw a picture in an ad for the Mac lineup. There was one that stood out - the plastic one. I can't see Apple updating the MB and NOT making it aluminum. Of course, what do I know though.........
  • Reply 14 of 31
    I just want to get it now.



    Tailpipe, what do you think prices wll be? New sweet macbook for 1400 like the black one?



    What about the macbook pro? Do you think they'll still offer the educational discoutns on the new ones?



    I want it bad. BAD.



    I'm scared if I get it in June in December they're going to be x10 sweeter. I should have just gotten the Perryn (sp) Macbook pro. f'n bs.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Prices will be the same, educational discount will be the same (i.e. pretty crap in the US, but still better than nothing.)
  • Reply 16 of 31
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Nikeddemus,



    I am convinced that new Apple laptops will arrive in time for the back-to-college buying season. That means a June launch. I am sure that prices will be broadly in line with existing line-ups.



    I wonder if new MacBooks or MacBook Pros will arrive first. The answer could be neither. What I am beginning to think is that there will be a single range of new laptops, i.e. one universal enclosure design in aluminium available in 13", 15" and 17" models, all with choice of low, medium and high end chips.



    I think the distinction between Pro and Non-pro has become irrelevant in a world where customers want increased choice and flexibility to customize a computer around their unique needs. The term Pro seems to signify a high-end graphics processor. So long as this choice is available, who cares what it is called.



    I may be wrong. Sorry if I am. Just a thought based on my knowledge of marketing.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post


    Nikeddemus,



    I am convinced that new Apple laptops will arrive in time for the back-to-college buying season. That means a June launch. I am sure that prices will be broadly in line with existing line-ups.



    I wonder if new MacBooks or MacBook Pros will arrive first. The answer could be neither. What I am beginning to think is that there will be a single range of new laptops, i.e. one universal enclosure design in aluminium available in 13", 15" and 17" models, all with choice of low, medium and high end chips.



    I think the distinction between Pro and Non-pro has become irrelevant in a world where customers want increased choice and flexibility to customize a computer around their unique needs. The term Pro seems to signify a high-end graphics processor. So long as this choice is available, who cares what it is called.



    I may be wrong. Sorry if I am. Just a thought based on my knowledge of marketing.



    While this seems to make sense especially if they all look similar (MB and MBP get metal enclosures), I doubt it... mostly because they need the word Pro in there somewhere to be able to charge an extra premium for the high end models. It makes it easier to differentiate between models than having to list the differences in features (backlit keyboard, dedicated graphics, etc). I'm not saying the MBPs would be more expensive just because they're called Pros; it just makes it easier for the consumer to differentiate between models. Same as with Dell and their XPS models for gaming/etc.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post


    While this seems to make sense especially if they all look similar (MB and MBP get metal enclosures), I doubt it... mostly because they need the word Pro in there somewhere to be able to charge an extra premium for the high end models. It makes it easier to differentiate between models than having to list the differences in features (backlit keyboard, dedicated graphics, etc). I'm not saying the MBPs would be more expensive just because they're called Pros; it just makes it easier for the consumer to differentiate between models. Same as with Dell and their XPS models for gaming/etc.



    Point taken, aaple, but...



    You're a smart guy, right? You know your Mac hardware well, just like most people. Do you think people are really fooled by word 'Pro'? I am not so sure.



    Not so long ago, the sheer breadth of Intel's offerings was such that computer manufacturers needed different sub-brand names in order to segment demand for their products. In recent years, however, Intel's chip line-up has been consolidated. For this reason I think the difference between high-end laptops and low-end ones, certainly within Apple's product portfolio has diminished.



    If I were Apple, I would make 'Pro' stand for a level of configuration, i.e. top-end processors, not a model designation.



    But maybe the majority of buyers are still fooled by nomenclature conventions that allow manufacturers to command a premium for something that isn't that out of the ordinary.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    If it doesn't come out in June I'm going to harass you on this board.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    what the heck is a led screen?
Sign In or Register to comment.