Will Jaguar cost us?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Is that like the three seashells?

Would you be willing to shell out $99 if Jaguar came with a QuickTime 6 Pro registration key? Software isn't cheap these days. I mean, $80 for Drive 10? that app is useless! $100 *is* reasonable for an update of this magnitude, especially if there are major speed-ups. 10.1 *was* a free update whether you like it or not. You could walk into pretty much any Apple dealer with your coupon and get the update CD. Most places didn't even require you to provide a coupon.

1.5 years after the release of OS X and you expect Jaguar to be $69?
  • Reply 22 of 39
    prestonpreston Posts: 219member
    i can use a keyboard

i use icq

i can type in SMB adresses

i dont have a quartz extreme card (even though my ibook is less than 6mos old )

i can use Quicktime 5 just fine

therefore, Jobs can shove his half-arsed afterthought of an upgrade into my Recycle Bin.

Pres
  • Reply 23 of 39
    mac's girlmac's girl Posts: 556member
    can i just have iChat for $10?

all in favor of a-la-carte features, say AYE!

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: mac's girl ]</p>
  • Reply 24 of 39
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Apple has spent so much time and money investing in the OSX brand name I would imagine that to go straight to OS X.5 would make the revision numbers disappear to quickly and they would have to start again promoting and re branding at OS X1..
  • Reply 25 of 39
    hekalhekal Posts: 117member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>Good lord-if Apple charges us $100 after having us pay $129 for an OS that really wasn't ready for primetime I will be pissed! You guys must be rich or something, because charging us more than $20 for what amounts to what 10.1 SHOULD have been would be ludicrous. Is Apple owned by Microsoft all of a sudden?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't mind paying. When 10.1 came out, Fry's did not have any upgrade CDs so I bought a full product. I will most likley do the same when 10.whatever comes out. This just gives me added licenses that I legitimately own.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    I think of it this way. Windows users get an OS and then get nothing but bug fixes and bug fixes to previous bug fixes in the form of service packs. This pattern continues until their next OS is released a few years later. It seems Apple is pretty good with adding new functionality to OS X when they update it.

XP Pro costs you ~350 and you will not see any truly new features until the successor to XP arrives.

We paid 129 for OS X 10.1 and if we're charged 75 bones for Jag, we're still ahead of the game. Yeah, it sucks, but if you think of it in relative terms it is not so bad.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It's going to be free cause I'm not buying anything till I get a 'fully supported' system with a default install of Jaguar.

PS

I think Apple is on the road to dropping the whole OS 'ten' thing.

That's why they're calling it Jaguar now.

It will become OSX v. something
  • Reply 28 of 39
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    I know Applenut previously requested that people not bring M$ into this but here I go anyway. When Microsoft released Win 98 2nd & 3rd Edition wasn't it around $40 or $50? To me this seems the limit of what I consider reasonable (yes I'd pay $99 but I'd be very upset about it!). Personally I think a $20 "Free" upgrade CD is "fair" considering the state that OS X is still in (which I'd consider usable but poor).

I do think for the reasons others stated that Apple will charge for this upgrade (not just $20 either). Hopefully they'll be reasonable & see that making a few extra bucks now could hinder the growth base of OS X & tick a lot of valuable customers off (even if they buy it).
  • Reply 29 of 39
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Let's not forget that most people will get 10.2 when they buy a new Mac -- it will come with the hardware for "free." Not everyone will need to pay for it as a standalone product, and Apple doesn't make most of its OS sales that way.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>Sorry guys, but even Microbloat doesn't make customers pay in between OS's. Apple is constantly upgrading their OS, which is fine, but every few months expecting us to pay more than $20 isn't right. I'll pay $20 gladly-anything more than $40 would be crazy. .........................</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes they do. Windows 98 SE which was Windows 98 with a bunch of free stuff you can download from microsoft.com and the soon to be released Windows XP SE.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    $129. $99 upgrade.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    FREE, with new machine.

Any one who owns a functioning mac, who buys a new machine between now and the release of 10.2/jaguar is a tool. Simple. Why risk an incompatibility or expense. It'll be here in Sept, and the minimum spec needed for full hardware acceleration has been outlined. Unless macs sold between now and then come with a voucher that guarantees a 'FREE' upgrade to 10.2, save yourself the money and wait. Get a new machine with a fully supported OS by default. Money is money. Now if you need a new machine right now, then go for it, what choice do you have? But it sounds like a lot of people here have machines that could easily keep going for another 4 months, even the ancient beige machines -- if you've used them this long, might as well use them a little more.

Get it all in one package, you'll be happier for it.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>FREE, with new machine.

Any one who owns a functioning mac, who buys a new machine between now and the release of 10.2/jaguar is a tool. Simple. Why risk an incompatibility or expense. It'll be here in Sept, and the minimum spec needed for full hardware acceleration has been outlined. Unless macs sold between now and then come with a voucher that guarantees a 'FREE' upgrade to 10.2, save yourself the money and wait. Get a new machine with a fully supported OS by default. Money is money. Now if you need a new machine right now, then go for it, what choice do you have? But it sounds like a lot of people here have machines that could easily keep going for another 4 months, even the ancient beige machines -- if you've used them this long, might as well use them a little more.

Get it all in one package, you'll be happier for it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Amen. That's what I'm all about. Why buy now? For some, it may be mandatory to buy now. But for most, Apple has just sealed the deal. Buy now...get a slow obsolete OS and pay for the upgrade down the line. Or, just wait a couple months and score the whole package for free.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    My DP G4 works great in OS X, I don't know what people are whining about. I will just get a nice new video card to take advantage of Jag when it's released.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Is that like the three seashells?

Would you be willing to shell out $99 if Jaguar came with a QuickTime 6 Pro registration key? Software isn't cheap these days. I mean, $80 for Drive 10? that app is useless! $100 *is* reasonable for an update of this magnitude, especially if there are major speed-ups. 10.1 *was* a free update whether you like it or not. You could walk into pretty much any Apple dealer with your coupon and get the update CD. Most places didn't even require you to provide a coupon.

1.5 years after the release of OS X and you expect Jaguar to be $69?</strong><hr></blockquote>

What about those who purshased OSX 10.1 for the first time for $129?....................................
  • Reply 36 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just went with the codename. Mac OS X Jaguar. Of course then you'll have people arguing over is pronunciation...

Jag-yoo-arr? Jag-warr? Ja-gyoo-arr? Jag-oo-lar? ...
  • Reply 37 of 39
    I think OS 'ten' will die.

It will be OSX v.2

X is cool, it's very techie and non-descript, suggests sex Unix and power at the same time. They want to keep it.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    Maybe if companies didnt charge insane amounts for software, people wouldnt pirate.

jaguar does look to be very nice, but if I want to buy it I'll have to pay $100 or something probably. I've spent thousands on Apple's overpriced underpowered hardware, so I'm not willing to pay for finally getting Mac OS X.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>1.5 years after the release of OS X and you expect Jaguar to be $69?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope. $49.95. At most.