Apple lays off 15% of workforce at California location

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 41
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    Actually I do think he's being sarcastic in this thread. Kind of a poor attempt at British humour? Imagine Ricky Gervais from the Office making this argument and you'll see what I'm getting at...



    Except Gervais is, y'know... funny.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,062member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DigitalChan View Post


    We need HOPE and CHANGE for these layed off employees... not just more of the same.



    That's it boys...he's a troll.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    maclemmingmaclemming Posts: 46member
    Lol you say it's a business



    until it happens to you or your loved ones....



    then it will be different story!...









    Kickaha - I bet you sing a different tune when you finally move out of your parents' house!!!!
  • Reply 24 of 41
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post


    Lol you say it's a business



    until it happens to you or your loved ones....



    then it will be different story!...









    Kickaha - I bet you sing a different tune when you finally move out of your parents' house!!!!



    Read the news... it happens all the time. Sure, it sucks for those involved, but it happens all the time.



    http://news.yahoo.com/fc/business/do...bhEom3TMd5tRcB
  • Reply 25 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post


    He is.



  • Reply 26 of 41
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Dear Charlie Chan,



    Just WTF do you think was going on in Elk Grove before Apple opened up an office there, and provided jobs that did not exist previously? Apple does not owe Elk Grove anything, it's quite the reverse!



    Wake up!
  • Reply 27 of 41
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post


    Lol you say it's a business



    until it happens to you or your loved ones....



    then it will be different story!...









    Kickaha - I bet you sing a different tune when you finally move out of your parents' house!!!!



    LOL Nice try, but if you're going to start slinging the trash talk, ya gotta step up your game.



    Don't worry, you'll find out when you enter middle school.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post


    Lol you say it's a business



    until it happens to you or your loved ones....



    then it will be different story!...









    Kickaha - I bet you sing a different tune when you finally move out of your parents' house!!!!



    I know for a fact that Kick doesn't live in his parent's house... It's his wife's aunt's basement with her two cats, mindy and fluffmeister (aka hairball)...



    (sorry dr. smith...)
  • Reply 29 of 41
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post


    Lol you say it's a business

    until it happens to you or your loved ones....

    then it will be different story!...



    Whenever I hear the phrase "you or your loved ones" I vomit a little bit inside my mouth. It just that I've never heard it used outside of manipulative language. My "loved ones" would go find other jobs in other areas, as would I.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post


    Check his sig... methinks that (if indeed the sig has any truth to it, and god only knows with this guy) he's just a bitter troll that yearns for the days of 512kB, when Pascal roamed free. The Amazing Kreskin sez: Expect more of the same bile based in little to no reality.



    I think we need a sticky tutorial on how to use the ignore list in cases like this.



    Wow. Pascal. I haven't even heard anyone mention it for like many many years now. Old skool, bro. Oh the memories...
  • Reply 31 of 41
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post


    This is one of the weirdest threads ever, the way this guys talks. Think of the CHILDREN!



    I've been downsized. And you know what? I don't blame my employer. It's a business decision and if I needed to I would have fired myself. It's a business.



    The interesting thing is that for the past 10 years, with part-time/ full-time positions, I have been fortunate not to have been downsized even when the company had layoffs/ etc. Usually I have resigned and moved on to other positions.



    On a serious note, the layoffs in Silicon Valley are usually a problem only if the layoff-ees bought massively overpriced houses and so on.



    I sympathise but in general I'm more concerned with SF County and East Bay. With all the US economic madness.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DigitalChan View Post


    We need HOPE and CHANGE for these layed off employees... not just more of the same.



    Is there a Northern California proper like "system" or non-profit-organization that does this? Curious.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post


    Which was an option given by apple. They can move to Texas if they want. They can transfer to another local position if they qualify.



    Please tell me Microsoft or Dell made such offers to the last batches of employees they laid off.



    Apple was more than fair.



    Apple is being fair. When jobs are relocated to another domestic site, the current workers usually have the option to move with that Job. When Derre moved the Forestry division, we got an influx of families from Ontario. That being said, when such a move does occur, many do stay behind.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I can't speak directly to the situation at hand here, but can't resist the opportunity to comment on the phenomenon in general.



    American business culture is pretty ruthless in comparison to the global norm. Our culture finds nothing wrong with trying to make a profit at any cost. It is even expected. The bottom-line and the wealth of stockholders is considered more important than the livelihood of employees. Whether this is reasonable or not is a separate topic. But we should at least acknowledge this aspect of the american business culture.



    At times I'm glad to work for a private corporation owned by a relatively benevolent billionaire. While one could criticize him for the disparity of wages earned by him and his workers, at least he should be commended for one thing. He has never laid people off. He is willing to take a hit, to personally earn fewer millions in a slow year in order to keep people employed.



    During a recent slowdown in demand, our manufacturing personnel were put to work fixing up the facilities, landscaping, painting, catching up on data entry, etc. It brought tears to my eyes, literally. Some of these people's lives could have been ruined. When already poor, getting laid off can have devastating effects that last for decades. Some people have to abandon their home, sell their car, go onto welfare, and try to bootstrap themselves back up by working for minimum wage at the gas station closest to their apartment. Frequently it doesn't work. They end up waitressing until the age of 60-something and die of a preventable illness before ever retiring.



    I can't speak to the situation at apple specifically. But I suspect that people's feelings on the subject in general will be applied to the situation there no matter the actual details. This applies to both side of the argument. While abstract to some, the situation can be quite emotional and personally involved, depending on one's background.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post


    I can't speak directly to the situation at hand here, but can't resist the opportunity to comment on the phenomenon in general.



    American business culture is pretty ruthless in comparison to the global norm. Our culture finds nothing wrong with trying to make a profit at any cost. It is even expected. The bottom-line and the wealth of stockholders is considered more important than the livelihood of employees. Whether this is reasonable or not is a separate topic. But we should at least acknowledge this aspect of the american business culture.



    At times I'm glad to work for a private corporation owned by a relatively benevolent billionaire. While one could criticize him for the disparity of wages earned by him and his workers, at least he should be commended for one thing. He has never laid people off. He is willing to take a hit, to personally earn fewer millions in a slow year in order to keep people employed.



    During a recent slowdown in demand, our manufacturing personnel were put to work fixing up the facilities, landscaping, painting, catching up on data entry, etc. It brought tears to my eyes, literally. Some of these people's lives could have been ruined. When already poor, getting laid off can have devastating effects that last for decades. Some people have to abandon their home, sell their car, go onto welfare, and try to bootstrap themselves back up by working for minimum wage at the gas station closest to their apartment. Frequently it doesn't work. They end up waitressing until the age of 60-something and die of a preventable illness before ever retiring.



    I can't speak to the situation at apple specifically. But I suspect that people's feelings on the subject in general will be applied to the situation there no matter the actual details. This applies to both side of the argument. While abstract to some, the situation can be quite emotional and personally involved, depending on one's background.





    Thank you for your views on capitalism, comrade.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post


    Thank you for your views on capitalism, comrade.



    I think you meant that as an insult. But no worries, I'm not insulted.



    Apparently you view any critique of american business as communist and thus bad. That is a rather naive and black-and-white view of the world in my opinion.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post


    So here we have ONE Apple location laying off service and support people. Except of course...they are not laying off anyone. They are allowing them to transfer. 174 people. Dude, really...take a pill.



    You've overstated the issue in this thread by claiming "Apple is laying off 15% of it's workforce at CA location." Yes, it's technically true....sort of. But it's 174 people. To take that number and extrapolate that Apple doesn't care about it's employees is absurd.



    Funny, but I have a friend at the Apple Store Pasadena and their workforce is 70% or more part time and hire all the time instead of letting those that have been there for more than a year become full time. Plus, no benefits, no insurance, no commision and from what I understand, just a bit over minium wage.



    How pathetic.



    Its stuff like this combined with the HIGH SCHOOL CLICK mentality that makes me happy when places like OSX86 can crack the latest OS on any PC.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applemacs View Post


    Funny, but I have a friend at the Apple Store Pasadena and their workforce is 70% or more part time and hire all the time instead of letting those that have been there for more than a year become full time. Plus, no benefits, no insurance, no commision and from what I understand, just a bit over minium wage.



    How pathetic.



    Its stuff like this combined with the HIGH SCHOOL CLICK mentality that makes me happy when places like OSX86 can crack the latest OS on any PC.



    Is somebody holding a gun to the head of these part time people to force them to work at that Apple store?



    Seems like anybody with a modicum of sense, and wanting more pay, plus better benefits, would seek work elsewhere.



    But, if that happened, you wouldn't be bleeding all over this forum. Another pencil neck that thinks the world owes them a living. rolleyes:
  • Reply 39 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applemacs View Post


    Funny, but I have a friend at the Apple Store Pasadena and their workforce is 70% or more part time and hire all the time instead of letting those that have been there for more than a year become full time. Plus, no benefits, no insurance, no commision and from what I understand, just a bit over minium wage.



    How pathetic.



    Its stuff like this combined with the HIGH SCHOOL CLICK mentality that makes me happy when places like OSX86 can crack the latest OS on any PC.



    The fact is, there more people (big talent pool) willing to work at an Apple Store than there are positions. This is what's known as a positive situation for an employer, having the ability to pay less for people willing to do the same job, and in this case a job that requires employees that are expected to be above average. This is the same kind of situation that exists at the movie studios. There is the romance and promise of association with a 'famous' brand and a willingness to accept low wages. Don't like it? Get an engineering degree and apply for work at Hewlett-Packard.



    Also... "clique", not "click".
  • Reply 40 of 41
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    The fact is, there more people (big talent pool) willing to work at an Apple Store than there are positions. This is what's known as a positive situation for an employer, having the ability to pay less for people willing to do the same job, and in this case a job that requires employees that are expected to be above average. This is the same kind of situation that exists at the movie studios. There is the romance and promise of association with a 'famous' brand and a willingness to accept low wages. Don't like it? Get an engineering degree and apply for work at Hewlett-Packard.



    Also... "clique", not "click".





    Perzactly!
Sign In or Register to comment.