Apple's cash; new 10.5.3 seed; 3G iPhone photos; Boston store size

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

Is 10.5.2 really that bad? I mean, there are a couple annoying bugs, but 10.5.3 isn't a must for me, just a nice plus. On the other hand, I'm waiting for second gen iPhone so I can finally buy one.

I second your sentiments.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I see ceramic too mainly for the superior scratch proofing and RF penetration though it should be relatively inexpensive, easy to colour and maintain a green image for the company.

My only concerns are will it be brittle or will it be too thick? It certainly doesn't look too thick from the photos. I suppose ceramics can be hardened with additives.

"iPhone Superconductive: Talk at the speed of light" (Coming 2025)

I've heard this before, but can someone please explain what a ceramic iPhone would be like? Is there a real world example today of something like this? I mean, I can't imagine the next iPhone is going to be like a piece of pottery. What is this ceramic iPhone like?
  • Reply 23 of 69
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Have you guys ever seen drilled aluminum?

That's the telltale, shiny, silver chamfer right there. It's most likely a form of baked, white powder-coating. Those images look very plausible to me. Also, they could be just playing with different colors, we may see a number of colors.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I've heard this before, but can someone please explain what a ceramic iPhone would be like? Is there a real world example today of something like this? I mean, I can't imagine the next iPhone is going to be like a piece of pottery. What is this ceramic iPhone like?

It's not something you'll find at Pottery Barn or in an Meso-American dig site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That's the telltale, shiny, silver chamfer right there. It's most likely a form of baked, white powder-coating. Those images look very plausible to me. Also, they could be just playing with different colors, we may see a number of colors.

That looks like the cheap chromes piece that is pressed around holes to finish off a rough drill.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

That looks like the cheap chromes piece that is pressed around holes to finish off a rough drill.

I disagree, I used work on a CNC machine, and I used to make those types of chamfers in aluminum all the time. Just take a look at that part of the existing iPhone if you don't believe me. I'm confident those white parts in these photos are aluminum.

They are high-pressure, pressed, aluminum shells which are then powder-coated white, drilled and countersunk.

Which result in that classic, silver, aluminum, countersunk chamfer.

All the other parts of the phone (i.e. slots and holes) in these photos suggests they are made before the pressing and painting takes place. The camera chamfer is thereby designed to deliberately attract attention, and for obvious reasons. It's a camera.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    Quote:

I disagree, I used work on a CNC machine, and I used to make those types of chamfers in aluminum all the time.

I then withdraw me assumption as you are clearly more qualified than me. I don't think I've even seen a CNC machine in person.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I then withdraw me assumption as you are clearly more qualified than me. I don't think I've even seen a CNC machine in person.

Oh right. They are fierce expensive things. When I worked with my dad we were going to buy a couple of them. The cost of those things would shock a grown man. Think 2 cars. Sometimes the chuck (the head that holds the tool) can cost $30,000 alone.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    They look like a photoshopped custom iPhone case. No power button, no sim card, and the third sensor is clearly cloned using photoshop or similar. Just enlarge the photos enough and take a closer look.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Yes, I've drilled quite a bit of aluminum in my life. The pictures are too coarse for me to go along with it and say it's conclusive. I really haven't looked closely enough at the current iPhone either.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    Quote:

Oh right. They are fierce expensive things. When I worked with my dad we were going to buy a couple of them. The cost of those things would shock a grown man. Think 2 cars. Sometimes the chuck (the head that holds the tool) can cost $30,000 alone.

It depends on what they are. I use one and I'm working on buying one myself, though one that's probably on the lower end of the scale, I don't need big or fancy. I really don't think the price is so bad at all if you consider their productivity. For me, cars are quite limited in utility in comparison, though I still need one of those too. A new machine, I can justify, a new car is quite a waste of money in comparison.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I see ceramic too mainly for the superior scratch proofing and RF penetration though it should be relatively inexpensive, easy to colour and maintain a green image for the company.

My only concerns are will it be brittle or will it be too thick? It certainly doesn't look too thick from the photos. I suppose ceramics can be hardened with additives.

"iPhone Superconductive: Talk at the speed of light" (Coming 2025)

Ceramic is more of a class of materials, not material itself. It's kind of like saying "wood" and someone thinking "balsa" and thinking it's a stupid material to use for a task when you're really using oak.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:

No, that is part of the camera housing, its present on the current iPhone too, and is not caused by drilling into the aluminium.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

No, that is part of the camera housing, its present on the current iPhone too, and is not caused by drilling into the aluminium.

The current iPhone does have a shiny metal ring, too, the image above has a ring that is flush with the white case, not slightly recessed like with the current iPhone. The pic above also looks much more like a single piece than the current iPhone when comparing the two side-by-side.
  • Reply 34 of 69
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I am sorry guys but I find the iPhone discussion so boring. This thread is about 10.5.3 also. So, can anyone can tell more on this or do we have to wait for it to find out? I recently found an anoying bug affecting apparently Macbooks. While scrolling in some large PDFs with graphics, fast scrolling may corrupt parts of the display. You have to scroll or jump outside the corrupted region and then scroll back again to rectify this. Probably a driver issue with the Intel graphics?
  • Reply 35 of 69
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Ceramic is more of a class of materials, not material itself. It's kind of like saying "wood" and someone thinking "balsa" and thinking it's a stupid material to use for a task when you're really using oak.

Thanks. I was actually aware of that. I was thinking something more along the lines of porcelain or some other whitewhare ceramic but the term "ceramic" was mentioned in the post I was quoting so I used that.

A demo model iPod touch is the closest i've come to an actual iPhone so take my comments with a grain of salt.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    drfundrfun Posts: 2member
    So I agree that some of the posted picture do have valid reasons to suspect it might be fake.

I also hope it might be fake, sorry I dont like white.

But as I sit hear reading these posts I was watching house on my tivo when I noticed about 28 min in the show when the team is walking down the hall to see a patient to run a test and....

IS that a white iPhone in her hand. Would someone else confirm this for me.

I have rewond, paused, played in slow motion. This phone she has looks a lot like these pictures but with no apple logo on it.

Conclusion so far, its either the new prototype phone in the show, or another phone I have never seen before that resembles the iphone but with out the apple logo?

If you can tell me what other phone looks this close to the iphone then these pictures might be that phone and someone pasted the apple logo on it. Or this might be the real thing?
  • Reply 37 of 69
    walter slocombewalter slocombe Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OR the other way round also

who'd want an oak bi-plane
  • Reply 38 of 69
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    NOT FAKE!

Take a look a this one again.

http://www.slashphone.com/media/data...phone-back.jpg

If you look closely... It's the same design. Unless they come from the same source, it would be unusual for two Photoshoppers to come up with an identical design.

C.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I agree. And it's not aluminum, since that would block the radio. Plastic back & colors FTW!
  • Reply 40 of 69
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Did anyone closely examine the Boston flagship photos in detail to determine if they were faked?