Vodafone inks deal with Apple to sell iPhone in ten countries

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

FWIW, Vodophone's Japan operations were taken over by Softbank last year, I think.

Yup...

Also I love AU's service but HATE their phones. I have that Casio you're talkin bout. They're all fugly. Docomo's are nice.

Have you heard that story about the pres of SoftBank giving the green light to all those Cameron Diaz CMs? Like 3 million for 6 hours work per CM or some crazy thing. And you've seen how many CMs she has right? Wonder how much they paid Brad Pitt?

What's this world comin' to.

Hey Berg, you know what I'm drinkin right now? My favorite...hot yuzucha
  • Reply 22 of 44
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The announcements appear to signal an end to the exclusive agreements forged ahead of the initial iPhone launch last year, which have thus far proven successful only in the United States.

Reports out of Europe have routinely suggested that sales of the inaugural Apple handset in the region have been lackluster for a variety of reasons, including a lack of 3G compatibility, steep pricing, and limited carrier options.

A recent report from the Spanish-language business paper Cinco Dias stated that the Cupertino-based handset maker was having doubts about its exclusive carrier model after witnessing poor sales in Europe and watching customers unlock the phones themselves for use on unsanctioned carriers.

Sums it up.

/me is very happy that Apple's adapting.

• Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fpsanders View Post

I have a dream... that a Vodafone plan would let you use the vodafone network IN ALL THOSE 10 COUNTRIES! without ridiculously expensive roaming charges. Using Internet on your phone in another country for 1 hour can almost buy you a new Macbook. There is absolutely no reason why vodafone or any other carrier makes you bleed for these 'roaming' costs, accept for making easy bucks while sucking us dry.

I think you may have to drean on for a while...just like us in belgium...for an iPhone
  • Reply 24 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KnightoftheWord View Post

And thus endeth the revenue sharing Apple was so insistent on?

Probably not. Vodaphone seems to have exclusive rights in 9 or 10 countries right now. Italy has a reported 91% of cell users on a pay-as-you-go plan so things would have to be changed with this unusual setup.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

something of an about-turn for vodafone. pity they didnt get it in the uk. i switched from them to o2 and havent been very impressed with o2s coverage in comparison

They were the ones that tried to keep T-Mobile from selling the iPhone in Germany not too long ago.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    simulacrasimulacra Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Probably not. Vodaphone seems to have exclusive rights in 9 or 10 countries right now. Italy has a reported 91% of cell users on a pay-as-you-go plan so things would have to be changed with this unusual setup.

They were the ones that tried to keep T-Mobile from selling the iPhone in Germany not too long ago.

Great, more countries that get the iphone before sweden...
  • Reply 26 of 44
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milanek View Post

We don't have iTunes Music Store either - so I am curious how activation would work

If it means also opening of iTMS it would be more important event then iPhone introduction...

You do not need iTMS for activation, just iTunes.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    idaveczidavecz Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You do not need iTMS for activation, just iTunes.

Well, but how we will be able to buy Apps without iTMS (Appstore?) We`re waiting too long...
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDaveCZ View Post

Well, but how we will be able to buy Apps without iTMS (Appstore?) We`re waiting too long...

I see no reason why the App Store can't be global. It's the music and movies that have regulations on distribution.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    I want to ask you something.i am from greece and i want to ask if anybody knows if there will be a logo of vodafone on the device or if the iphone will contain a vodafone live menu,because if something like this happens i wont buy it.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dimitris1986 View Post

I want to ask you something.i am from greece and i want to ask if anybody knows if there will be a logo of vodafone on the device or if the iphone will contain a vodafone live menu,because if something like this happens i wont buy it.

So far the iPhone is in 6 countries (US, UK, Germany, France, Ireland & Austria) without having a stamped logo on the device or an alteration of the software. The active carrier's name is listed in the upper right corner of the screen, but that is it. You're safe.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

The active carrier's name is listed in the upper right corner of the screen........

Of course you meant left......
  • Reply 32 of 44
    anyone know if the iPod Touch will be updated at same time?
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

anyone know if the iPod Touch will be updated at same time?

None of us know., but both the iPhone and iPhone Touch were updated to higher capacities and firmware on Feb. 5th, 2008. That was 91 days ago; the average HW refresh rate for the iPhone is 153 days and the iPod Touch is 111 (it debuted in Sept. 2007).

That said, I don't see the iPod Touch moving to a 64GB model just yet, but v2.0 will surely be available alongside the iPhone. If you meant will it get an overhaul in it's design, I'd wager likely not for another year or so.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    The main overhauls this year will likely be software, including for the touch.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    I'll be the first in Japan

Let's race.

The first one to post online in Japan wins a free night at my favorite love hotel.

But you have to find your own baita.

• Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

The first one to post online in Japan wins a free night at my favorite love hotel.

Is a "love hotel" a brothel?
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:

Is a "love hotel" a brothel?

No...I suppose you could use one AS a brothel but then you'd have to charge your clients the room fee on top of the "favors" fee. They're just cheaper hotels/motels where you can stay the night or 'rest' (won't be resting though). Convenient if you live with kids, parents, wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, roommate or all of the above

They actually used to be much better until the gov started cracking down and has been making them more conservative. This was due to an article in a famous magazine a long time ago that basically said Japan was the love/sex hotel capital of the world so the gov decided it was time to clean it up. There used to be many more wild ones.

FWIW the best ones in Japan are in Osaka. You still find many crazy ones with all sorts of styles. Hello Kitty themes, African themes, Racing car themes, you name it.

Talk about off topic
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Prada has just released its touch phone with Docomo in Japan.

Hmm... looking like Softbank...
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Prada has just released its touch phone with Docomo in Japan.

I am under the impression that it isn't 3G.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Don't know... it was just on the news a while ago and I only caught a glimpse of the piece.

---

Got it: it is 3G.

HSDPA 7.2mbs

http://wirelesswatch.jp/2008/05/08/d...a-phone-by-lg/

Apple better hurry or they will lose this battle quickly. What is taking them soooooooooooooo long?