New Mighty Mouse

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    nikiskinikiski Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

When talking about mice, "Optical" and "Laser" are NOT the same thing. Optical tracking is generally better than a scroll-ball, but Laser tracking is way more precise that Optical. The Apple mouse is merely an Optical device.

(Yes, I am aware that a Laser is, by definition, an "optical" technology, but in this particular case, optical refers to an LED source as opposed to a real laser.)

Just a quick note, the Wireless Mighty Mouse is a laser mouse
  • Reply 22 of 62
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member
    The Mighty Mouse, despite having more than one button (or ability to detect more than one button) categorically does not function as a multi-button mouse. I'm not talking about games, either; I'm talking about using it for desktop apps.

Virtually every third time I "right-clicked," the mouse would misinterpret it as a left-click.

The "squeeze-click" was so useless as to be joke-worthy. The maneuver required to accomplish a squeeze click was functionally equivalent to lifting the mouse and pressing a button on the bottom surface. Either way, your cursor ended up far away from where it started.

While I like the way the "nipple" functioned out-of-box, it only took a few days before the response was messed up due to particulate matter or finger oils.

I use a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 these days. It irritates me every day to see the Microsoft logo on something connected to my Mac. But the Mighty Mouse irritated me more!

I'd love a small, ambidextrous laser mouse with a scroll pad and a minimum of five buttons (left, middle, right, forward, back). Apparently no one (Apple Logitech, Microsoft) is capable of making such a device.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    kd86kd86 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

tftfy

You know, I was debating whether or not it was mice or mouses... I was told for the input device, it's actually mouses, not mice. I never know for sure.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KD86 View Post

Seriously, I don't mean to be rude here, but is anyone else getting tired of all the complaints from gamers? All I ever hear is "this sucks for gaming" or "that sucks for gaming" as if gaming is a serious task that has any important benefits other than personal entertainment? If gaming is a high priority for you than use a console or get a PC. Obviously gaming is not something that Apple seems to care about. Maybe that will change in the future, but some of us use our computers for things that are a little more important than sitting around playing mind-numbing games. Sorry if I sound arrogant. I don't mean to, I'm just getting tired of hearing the same thing over and over again. It's pointless.

Like I said, it sucks for everything. It sucks on the desktop. You'll just notice it even better with a game, because they are less forgiving.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

The Mighty Mouse, despite having more than one button (or ability to detect more than one button) categorically does not function as a multi-button mouse.

This is what we would call not-isomorphic, right?

I don't know, I have not used extensively a Mighty Mouse to tell for sure, but I think the hockey puck one was the worst ever.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    The first thing I did was to disble the "squeeze" - that implentation was not something I'd expected. It made the mouse virtually unusable, for me at least.

I used the puck for years - was ok with it. In the same way I'm ok with the MM. They're ok - just.

For my editing station tho' I bought a M$ IntelliSplorer thingy (on the recommendation of another editor) years ago, maybe 5 or 6.

It creaks - it groans but works great.

Mice are one of the few things that M$ do well.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

I'd love a small, ambidextrous laser mouse with a scroll pad and a minimum of five buttons (left, middle, right, forward, back). Apparently no one (Apple Logitech, Microsoft) is capable of making such a device.

I use the Logitech VX Revolution (after trying about 1/2 dozen other mice) and love it. It sells for $70, but TigerDirect has it on sale now for $30.

VX Revolution?

High performance in an ergonomic design.

Highlights: Cordless, Forward/Back Buttons, Hyper-Fast Scrolling, Laser Sensor, MicroGear? Scroll Wheel, One-Touch Search, Right-Hand Design, Storable Receiver

USD 69.99

PN 931690-0403

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...s/165&cl=us,en

I have its big brother too. It's rechargeable while the smaller one uses an AA battery. If you have large hands, you'd probably like the MX? Revolution. The smaller one is easier to whip the cursor around the desktop.

Logitech VX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse

TigerDirect

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...CODE=WEM1614AQ

$29.99*

Price After Rebate

Item #: L23-7202
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Quote:

Scroll pad?

You might want to check out Razer mice like Pro|Click, Copperhead and Lachesis. These are all ambidextrous models. I find Razer's buttons and scroll wheel excellent, very responsive. Microsoft even licensed technology from Razer for their Habu and slapped their own logo on top when they couldn't keep up.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KD86 View Post

I guess you never used the hockey puck mouse that shipped with the original iMacs then. That was by far a worse ergonomic design. I honestly don't have a problem with the Mighty Mouse. It may not be the best mouse on the market but I'm not that picky when it comes to mouses and it looks nice (to me at least) so whatever.

I had a Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White) tower (bought Jan. 1999) that came with a smaller Apple keyboard and a hockey puck mouse. I used the word "had" because my house was burglarized and the G3 Tower was taken. I still have the hockey puck mouse (the thieves left that behind) and I have it hooked up on the left side of my G4 keyboard. My wife is left handed, so she uses it. I must say I never liked it and though it was one of Apple's worst products.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I still have the hockey puck mouse (the thieves left that behind)

Even the thieves know their mice.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    mighty mouse isn't good for kids, the drag and drop is tough they keep hitting the scrol button

i don't like the click-drag performance.....

i gave my kids an old wireless 2 button mouse and my laptop mouse, easier for their hands

just got them both new imacs that screen is wonderful

i wish they had a power button on the key board though
  • Reply 32 of 62
    This thing gets non responsive when it gets dirty and it is ahrd to clean. Apple needs to fix this.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    sactoman01sactoman01 Posts: 209member
    In regards to the Mighty Mouse: not good enough for me!

Given that the majority of mouse pointers from both Logitech and Microsoft can connect through the USB port, even my old Logitech MX500 mouse pointer is still better than Apple's own mouse in MacOS X, mostly because I love how the MX500 comfortably fits in your hand and its "hefty" feel, which encourages more accurate mouse pointing.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Even most of Logitech's Mice Technologies are junk. They've taken a simple concept and over engineered the crap out of it.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    I was bored, so I decided to look at these new tutorials on apple.com. In the wireless basics one, about halfway through, there are two pictures of a wireless mouse with no scroll ball and a grey apple logo instead of a white one. It is not the previous "droplet" mouse because you can see there isn't any clear plastic around it.

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/...wirelessbasics

I emailed AppleInsider about a day ago, and they haven't posted anything about it yet. Hmm.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    The mighty was a good idea, but a very poor execution. To be honest, It wasn't all that bad when it actually worked. Unfortunately, Apple is willing to continue with a flawed product rather than admit they have a little work to do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I had a Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White) tower (bought Jan. 1999) that came with a smaller Apple keyboard and a hockey puck mouse. I used the word "had" because my house was burglarized and the G3 Tower was taken. I still have the hockey puck mouse (the thieves left that behind) and I have it hooked up on the left side of my G4 keyboard. My wife is left handed, so she uses it. I must say I never liked it and though it was one of Apple's worst products.

I hated the hockey pucks and the bondi blue keyboard. Fortunately I got to see what I was dealing with before I ordered my G3. Bought a ikey and a new mouse when I put in the order. Best keyboard I've ever owned until I got my hands on the new Aluminum keyboard. Still use it with my iBook.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applesmartcars View Post

I was bored, so I decided to look at these new tutorials on apple.com. In the wireless basics one, about halfway through, there are two pictures of a wireless mouse with no scroll ball and a grey apple logo instead of a white one. It is not the previous "droplet" mouse because you can see there isn't any clear plastic around it.

I emailed AppleInsider about a day ago, and they haven't posted anything about it yet. Hmm.

That's the old single button wireless mouse.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applesmartcars View Post

Anyone notice the big lie in that video? Are Apple allowed to say that?

"For a Wi-Fi? network in your home, you need an Apple® Airport? Basestation? that's connected to the internet..."

No, you don't. You can use any wifi router. The statement above is false and deliberately deceptive.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    foxphotogfoxphotog Posts: 21member
    I guess I'm the only one who actually likes the Mighty Mouse. For video editing I just love it. I wish we had them at work...

FOXPhotog
  • Reply 40 of 62
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    The MM is junk, the only mouse that was worse, was the hockey puck mouse that came with the original iMac.

It's strange, that for all the UI things Apple does well, they've never made a great mouse - always style over substance. Real mice come from Logitech and Microsoft, Apple should just stop and outsource a design from one of those two.

My current mouse, is a Logitech V270 (Bluetooth), that I use with both my PCs and Mac. It just works.