Steve Jobs to showcase OS X, iPhone platforms at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think we'd both write it like that to cover the different technologies, but while we've heard about the 3G chip code in the v2.0 software we've heard nothing about code for a GPS chip yet.

Personally, I don't want a GPS chip. The Google Maps location finder is more than adequate for my needs. But I am by far the minority here. Hell, i don't even want a camera on my phone.

It would be interesting to see if Apple will still use Google Map if they use GPS. However, using Google Maps will require internet connection. GPS maps are usually low resolution, ugly, and need big space to save all the data, I really rather have Google Maps. I would like to see how they solve this.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Not me, I want to see the GPS chip. Combine that with a good car mount, i.e., AMPS compatible, and good routing with traffic avoidance and I can dump my GPS

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It would be interesting to see if Apple will still use Google Map if they use GPS. However, using Google Maps will require internet connection. GPS maps are usually low resolution, ugly, and need big space to save all the data, I really rather have Google Maps. I would like to see how they solve this.

I hadn't thought of that. If there is a GPS chip (which seems to be highly likely) Apple may do nothing with the chip, but instead allow 3rd-parties to develop the software that utilize it. This allows Apple to state that it has GPS capabilities—with an asterisk at the end to explain that a 3rd-party app is needed—while allowing them to save money on not having to pay huge sums for the GPS tracking data IP and the R&D on creating and updating the app.

They also don't bog the storage capacity down with all the map data or have to supply for countries that currently don't have any GPS road mapping. For instance, I can't get Brasil maps for my Tom Tom. You can buy the country or region maps you want from the vendor you prefer.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Leopard was first discussed in June 2005 at the WWDC 05 just two months after Tiger was released that year. It was demonstrated the following year at the WWDC 06. I think it's possible 10.6 will at least be mentioned. Maybe we'll get confirmation on the codename.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Why would you think this? The featureset for 10.6 was decided a long time ago. There's a team working on it seperate from the current 10.5. I don't think people understand how large projects like these are handled. The quicker Leopard matures the faster Apple can pull a few engineers over to the 10.6 project.

Apple may or may not divulge information on 10.6. I personally think they should highlight a couple of nuggets of information because this "is" a Developers show after all. Knowing more of the OS roadmap is always preferrable than knowing less.

I think Apple delivers iPhone 2.0 and delivers at least 3 "statement" applications that get people buzzing.

They smooth out Leopard with 10.5.3 and give a couple of nuggets about 10.6 and christen it with the latest Feline name.

I agree. They have to give us some kind of details on what's in development for the latest Mac OS.

While I agree some of the features look impressive for Windows 7, they look far to complicated for your average user, at least the video that was posted on Digg yesterday.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Lets not go crazy now. I wonder what your definition for "long out" is?

Think about how long it will take to develop a world class OS that will be able to compete with Vista...

But seriously, these things take years and I am sure that many of the programers are still working on the 10.5.X releases to get all the bugs and flaws out.

Regardless, if you rush to talk about all the things you are *going* to have in the next OS you give the "competition" a heads up. At the same time, you risk alienating your fans if you have to cut out something you promised before you could deliver...

I think Apple reps were saying that they want to shorten development cycles again. I wouldn't be surprised if they shoot for middle of next year, that would be about 2 years. Keep in mind that some of the earlier releases were 1yr (Jaguar?), 18 months (Panther), two years (Tiger) between revisions. Leopard was the longest at something like 2.5 years.

The "competition" heard about the major Leopard features over a year beforehand. It didn't help them.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Not me, I want to see the GPS chip. Combine that with a good car mount, i.e., AMPS compatible, and good routing with traffic avoidance and I can dump my GPS

Can you put a car charger on that wish list also? I'm not using any of the iPod ones until they're officially sanctioned because my first iPhone got fried by a Belkin car charger.

EDIT: I guess Griffin Powerjolt now has an "iPhone" official stamp of approval on it. I'm still nervous though!
  • Reply 27 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Keep in mind that some of the earlier releases were 1yr (Jaguar?), 18 months (Panther), two years (Tiger) between revisions. Leopard was the longest at something like 2.5 years.

Note that between Tiger and Leopard Apple also transition from PPC to x86. While some argue that Apple had it running side-by-side since Apple bought NeXT, their was still a lot of work to make the transition.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Also worth noting, I don't think we will go an entire year without hearing word of anything about Mac OS 10.6. By this time next year Microsoft will have publicly shown off Windows 7 and will likely be starting to wrap up development (and then another year to release )
  • Reply 29 of 69
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The "competition" heard about the major Leopard features over a year beforehand. It didn't help them.

This is true.

In fact, I wonder if it is possible that getting peeks at the what Apple are planning could add to the distraction of Microsoft's OS development teams. They are as smart as anybody and can think up cool things to do and cool uses of different technologies. If they get to thinking "me too" with every good idea they hear out of Cupertino...

It just seems that MS cannot tie it up in a package that works right/feels right/looks right.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    OK, everyone post your best guess at what the "...one more thing" will be.

My guess? Real GPS features on the iPhone.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    tcbritttcbritt Posts: 11member
    check this out, i put this event in my iphones calender, I selected June 9th as the date, typed "WWDC" as title, "San Francisco, Moscone West Center" as location, and it automatically set the time as 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm, which is the correct time for my time zone, does anyone else find this awesome or what?
  • Reply 32 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcbritt View Post

check this out, i put this event in my iphones calender, I selected June 9th as the date, typed "WWDC" as title, "San Francisco, Moscone West Center" as location, and it automatically set the time as 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm, which is the correct time for my time zone, does anyone else find this awesome or what?

I was hoping this was an easter egg, but everything defaults to a 2pm to 3pm timeframe.
  • Reply 33 of 69
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Let me ask you guys this, does it feel as if apple has been boring for the last 6 plus months? I don't know what it is but it always used to feel like something crazy was happening and now, nothing.
  • Reply 34 of 69
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    I could see a teaser for the next cat.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

This is true.

In fact, I wonder if it is possible that getting peeks at the what Apple are planning could add to the distraction of Microsoft's OS development teams.

I think it's an easy way to cause disruption. They see a feature that someone high up decides just *must* be in the next version, and the quality ends up being like it was strapped together with a kite string and duct tape because it's hastily put in mid-cycle.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Let me ask you guys this, does it feel as if apple has been boring for the last 6 plus months? I don't know what it is but it always used to feel like something crazy was happening and now, nothing.

The Intel effect. There's no longer that feeling that "anything" come come because Macs now run on commodity hardware. Everyone knows Intel's roadmap and now we all know that for Macs ...Apple will be following this path.

With the PA Semi purchase a bit of that excitement is back because there's the potential for something cool that doesn't exist within the hallowed Halls of Intel.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The Intel effect. There's no longer that feeling that "anything" come come because Macs now run on commodity hardware. Everyone knows Intel's roadmap and now we all know that for Macs ...Apple will be following this path.

With the PA Semi purchase a bit of that excitement is back because there's the potential for something cool that doesn't exist within the hallowed Halls of Intel.

Of course, Apple can work in secret with PA Semi, then spring the magic on the public and have Intel manufacture the new AppleMagic™ chips in mass quantities.
  • Reply 38 of 69
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

OK, everyone post your best guess at what the "...one more thing" will be.

My guess? Real GPS features on the iPhone.

New aluminum clad MacBooks.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    fairlyfairly Posts: 102member
    So WWDCs are still open to the public?
  • Reply 40 of 69
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member
    New Cinema Displays. Dammit.