AT&T now limiting iPhone sales to one, requiring credit card

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How many people in the US carry $400+ in cash around?

Probably everyone who walks into an Apple or AT&T store with the intent of shipping/carrying an iPhone outside of the USofA.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    if you're buying an iPhone right now, you're a fool.

the price [in the US] hasn't come down, and we all know an update is just around the corner.

LET them buy old tech.

let the channel run dry.

after it sells out:

tell them to come back in a month for a better iPhone.

boast about how huge day one sales were.

ohh, and i upgraded to 16gb in march because my 8gb was stolen.

both ATT and apple are absolutely no help in locating a stolen iPhone.

you'd think they'd want to help their customers-

nope, they want you purchasing more more more.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

So, what is the general take on: (1) Whether any/all of 8, 16, and 32GB models will be available in 3G; and (2) the likely price of each?

(My family is thinking of what an appropriately-sized Apple gift card would be, for Fathers' Day! )

What difference does the general take make? The general consensus has nothing to do with what Apple eventually does...
  • Reply 24 of 51
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

What difference does the general take make? The general consensus has nothing to do with what Apple eventually does...

1) I would not have asked the question if it not make a difference to me - the fact that it does not to you makes no difference to me.

2) I'd say that many folks here have made some pretty darn good calls on capacities and price points of various Apple devices (iPods, laptops) during the time that I've been reading this forum. They are far too many for me to browse to give you links.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

What does this have to do with homosexuals?

Since COO Tim Cook is gay and the supply buck stops with him, the iPhone shortage is obviously part of the "Gay Agenda."
  • Reply 26 of 51
    billinbillin Posts: 13member
    Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what Apple's current policy is about paying for an iPhone with gift cards? I just got a bunch of Apple gift cards for my birthday to aid in my purchase of an iPhone in June, but then I started seeing older articles about how Apple was refusing gift cards as payment for iPhones. Confusing the matter further was this link: http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97327 which says you can use gift cards, but you have to put at least $20 of the iPhone purchase cost on a credit card.

What's the story nowadays - anyone know?
  • Reply 27 of 51
    jbh0001jbh0001 Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Simply amazing that they won't accept cash. I understand checks, but cash?!?!? U.S. currency is no longer an acceptable payment method?

Absolute crap!!!

Checks can bounce, and cash transactions are difficult to audit. Welcome to the 21st century, and chill out.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1) I would not have asked the question if it not make a difference to me - the fact that it does not to you makes no difference to me.

2) I'd say that many folks here have made some pretty darn good calls on capacities and price points of various Apple devices (iPods, laptops) during the time that I've been reading this forum. They are far too many for me to browse to give you links.

The general consensus on a forum like this is going to be an average of all the rumors that have floated around, weighted by the perceived likelihood of those rumors. That perception is fed by the desire of fans who want to buy the best product they can imagine for a price so low Soviets in the USSR would blush.

None of the pricing information has ever been made public, even in rumor form, nor has the information about the capacity options. Any opinions you get are just going to be guesses... but whatever.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

The NASDAQ was flat (up .1%) and apple wound up down 1.95%. Not a good day, certainly, but I'm not sure "hammered" is the best adjective.

The drop did occur at the end of the day, so it seems probable this policy did at least contribute to the drop.

How about: Apple's stock 'floundered'.

• Reply 30 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbh0001 View Post

Checks can bounce, and cash transactions are difficult to audit. Welcome to the 21st century, and chill out.

Besides those reasons, it's part of the Anti-Christ's super new plan.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

The NASDAQ was flat (up .1%) and apple wound up down 1.95%. Not a good day, certainly, but I'm not sure "hammered" is the best adjective.

The drop did occur at the end of the day, so it seems probable this policy did at least contribute to the drop.

It was an eerily low-volume day and the 2% drop was really contained in the last half hour of the day, so it seems probable that some large holdings were shuffled.

You'd think Apple Stores switching to credit-only for the first iPhone unleash would have had a slightly more significant effect - but that phased no one.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Since online Apple store is out of iPhone and unlike AT&T stores Apple stores are not available everywhere, AT&T is trying to make the most of the current model to make sure that people actually use them with AT&T and not shipping them overseas. That is my guess.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How about: Apple's stock 'floundered'.

Indeed, I dare say that's a far more appropriate.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Customers may only use credit or debit cards to purchase their iPhone," the memo says.

Now I don't believe in stupid lawsuits, but here is one legal action that need to be undertaken.

It may and should be Constitutionally unlawful for anyone conducting business in the United States to refuse the "...LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"

All this crap about cash transactions being difficult to audit, the dollar being weak, and how much cash some one should carry is completely friggin irrelevant.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

Now I don't believe in stupid lawsuits, but here is one legal action that need to be undertaken.

It may and should be Constitutionally unlawful for anyone conducting business in the United States to refuse the "...LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE"

An iPhone purchase is not a debt. Go try to buy a car using legal pennies and let me know how it works out.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I remember a figure of $300 as being the average amount a person carries around with them.

Huh? I rarely carry more than $20. The only thing I use cash for is the vending machines at work and concessions at the ballgame.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

An iPhone purchase is not a debt. Go try to buy a car using legal pennies and let me know how it works out.

Well, not a real good analogy.....

but, I bet if I walk in to ANY car dealership with 50,000 rolls of pennies (a mere $25,000.00) they will be damn glad to carry them to the bank!

All items become debts at the time you try to walk out of the store without paying for them.\
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Did you guys not realize that the ENTIRE reason AT&T is ONLY collecting credit and debit cards on the iPhone (Not any other phone), has NOTHING to do with the american dollar. It has everything to do with return policies. It is MUCH EASIER for them to give you $400 back on your card, than to have that much cash on hand when everybody returns their iPhones the day that the iPhone2 comes out. Imagine having 20 customers at each AT&T store wanting their $400 in CASH back! So thats why they are only taking credit and debit for the iPhone. Notice it is ONLY on the iPhone. You can still buy any other phone in cash.

Whats AT&T's return policy? That will give you an estimate as to when iPhone2 will be out. Not that it wasn't obvious enough already.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Huh? I rarely carry more than $20. The only thing I use cash for is the vending machines at work and concessions at the ballgame.

You can find concessions at a ballgame for $20? Ah, you must mean little league.....
  • Reply 40 of 51
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

Well, not a real good analogy.....

but, I bet if I walk in to ANY car dealership with 50,000 rolls of pennies (a mere $25,000.00) they will be damn glad to carry them to the bank!

All items become debts at the time you try to walk out of the store without paying for them.\

IANAL.

That's not a debt; it's theft.

A debt occurs when two parties enter into a mutual agreement, in which one party agrees to deliver a good or service up front, and the second party promises to make payment for that good or service at some point in the future.

For example, it might be argued that when you eat at a classy restarurant (the kind where you eat first, then settle the bill afterwords), it would be illegal for the restauranteur to refuse cash payment.

That being said, in many jurisdictions there are regulatory limits on what denominations of cash may be used to settle a debt. For example, it would be considered unreasonable to expect a corner store to be able to provide change for a $1000 bill on a piece of 5¢ candy. There are often similar limits on how many pennies you can use before you'd be expected to start using nickles, and how many nickles you could use before you'd have to start using dimes, etc.

Of course, these sorts of regulatory limits are typically voluntary - if a car salesman wanted to accept your rolls of pennies, he'd be perfectly within his rights to do so. However, he'd also be jusitfied in refusing it.

On the other hand, after you've signed the lease or mortgage, the credit agency cannot refuse cash payments (in reasonable denominations) to repay the lease or mortgage. Or, more on topic for this case, after you've purchased the iPhone using a credit card, it would be illegal for the credit card company to refuse repayment to them in cash.

[EDIT]

I don't know if the post just below this one is directed at me or not.

I was simply explaining my disagreement with the assertion made by somebody else that "All items become debts at the time you try to walk out of the store without paying for them".

To be absolutely clear:

I do not think any legal tender rights are being violated in this case.

[/EDIT]