Piper sees iPod boost; Sybase for iPhone; Japan/Korea rumor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdnalsi View Post

I don't get why AppleInsider keeps posting these "analysts" thoughts and rumblings?

Don't wanna be a d**k but, seriously, who cares?

Because we like reading them.

Are we supposed to say, "Welcome to AI"?
  • Reply 22 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Because we like reading them.

Are we supposed to say, "Welcome to AI"?

It would be polite to say that. Welcomt to AI, cdnalsi.

Quote:

I don't get why AppleInsider keeps posting these "analysts" thoughts and rumblings?

Don't wanna be a d**k but, seriously, who cares?

Your question sounds rethoical bu I'll answer it anyway. The writers care, the posters care and even you care enough to enter the associated forum, create an account and post your message. Call it anti-caring if you want, you cared enough to ask why we care.

While I usually don't agree with the analysts, and never with everything they say, it does give me a sense of what the average consumer feels about Apple and how they will be reacting to them. As a technical person and one who spends a lot of time 'arguing' on tech-based forums I am not the average person so I can't really be objective about consumer trends.

My father, for instance, is a completely on technology. If someone on CNN says a hyperbolic statement that x-product is going to an x-killer he believes it. He may far to the other end of the spectrum, but there are still plenty of people like him out there and people do buy on rumour and sell on fear when it comes to the stock market.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    cdnalsicdnalsi Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It would be polite to say that. Welcomt to AI, cdnalsi.

Your question sounds rethoical bu I'll answer it anyway. The writers care, the posters care and even you care enough to enter the associated forum, create an account and post your message. Call it anti-caring if you want, you cared enough to ask why we care.

While I usually don't agree with the analysts, and never with everything they say, it does give me a sense of what the average consumer feels about Apple and how they will be reacting to them. As a technical person and one who spends a lot of time 'arguing' on tech-based forums I am not the average person so I can't really be objective about consumer trends.

My father, for instance, is a completely on technology. If someone on CNN says a hyperbolic statement that x-product is going to an x-killer he believes it. He may far to the other end of the spectrum, but there are still plenty of people like him out there and people do buy on rumour and sell on fear when it comes to the stock market.

Right, sure, that's what I tought, in most lines.

But yeah, it cracks me up sometimes to see people I've never heard about go on the front page, just because they speculate that "this is going to happen" or "that is not going to happen"

It's more or less like the rumors forum, where normal people post stuff, but with the difference that they are not 'analysts'
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:

t's more or less like the rumors forum, where normal people post stuff, but with the difference that they are not 'analysts'

I'm sure how long you were lurking before you posted but several posters?me included?seem to think that some analysts get their info from AI articles which are then posted as AI articles and then picked up by more analysts. They are more like catalysts than analysts.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The device would necessarily be the 3G model, as both nations use WCDMA for their calling networks -- a feature unsupported by the 2G phone.

This is misleading. Instead of "countries" it should say "companies" and only in respect to their GSM/UMTS networks. In South Korea, Both KT FreeTel and SK Telecom have extensive CDMA/EVDO networks. Also, In Japan, KDDI, the next largest mobile provider after NTT DoCoMo, uses CDMA/EV-DO for their network. Obviously, this will most likely not have any impact on iPhone 3G, unless Apple were to really go nuts and launch a CDMA version of the iPhone 3G worldwide. CDMA is NOT solely a North American technology --- there are over 400 million CDMA/EVDO (3G) customers throughout the world, including the Americas, Europe, and Asia.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

This is misleading. Instead of "countries" it should say "companies" and only in respect to their GSM/UMTS networks. In South Korea, Both KT FreeTel and SK Telecom have extensive CDMA/EVDO networks. Also, In Japan, KDDI, the next largest mobile provider after NTT DoCoMo, uses CDMA/EV-DO for their network. Obviously, this will most likely not have any impact on iPhone 3G, unless Apple were to really go nuts and launch a CDMA version of the iPhone 3G worldwide. CDMA is NOT solely a North American technology --- there are over 400 million CDMA/EVDO (3G) customers throughout the world, including the Americas, Europe, and Asia.

NTT DoMoCo invented W-CDMA and their website talks heavily on W-CDMA and HSDPA. Though I must admit that I have not found any solid evidence to the frequency and communications protocols used.
    edit1: "Of the multiple communication specifications that 3G covers, NTT DoCoMo uses the W-CDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access) system."
    There glossary covers all the 3G terms that we want to hear and make mo mention of CDMA or EVDO.

Does anyone know the up and downlink frequencies?

edit2: According to this site it's 2GHz down/ 800Mhz up.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    If you read my post, I never said NTT DoCoMo has an CDMA2000/EV-DO network --- I said "KDDI, the second-largest carrier in Japan after NTT DoCoMo, has an CDMA/EVDO network"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

NTT DoMoCo invented W-CDMA and their website talks heavily on W-CDMA and HSDPA. Though I must admit that I have not found any solid evidence to the frequency and communications protocols used.
    edit1: "Of the multiple communication specifications that 3G covers, NTT DoCoMo uses the W-CDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access) system."
    There glossary covers all the 3G terms that we want to hear and make mo mention of CDMA or EVDO.

Does anyone know the up and downlink frequencies?

edit2: According to this site it's 2GHz down/ 800Mhz up.

• Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

If you read my post, I never said NTT DoCoMo has an CDMA2000/EV-DO network --- I said "KDDI, the second-largest carrier in Japan after NTT DoCoMo, has an CDMA/EVDO network"

My bad.