Netflix reveals $100 Apple TV competitor

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    Let´s end the TV Set Top box UGLY´NESS once and for all!!!

Now: Here is a vision that looks promesing:

http://www.macblogz.com/2008/05/20/a...tube-released/

I´m the third poster there by the way if you look for my comment...
  • Reply 62 of 92
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davvi28 View Post

...so for all intensive purposes...

• Reply 63 of 92
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

If they want to compete with the Apple TV (or anyone else that spent a day at Industrial Design Camp), can they at least make something that doesn't look like a big pile of shit that was run over by a Peterbilt then pissed on by a group of Hell's Angels then vomited on by the psych ward from the insane asylum?

Geezus, with products having nearly the same performance characteristics as every other product, the one distinguishing feature is ID. (Netflix, that stands for Industrial Design, since it's obvious nobody at your company knows what that means.) I know Roku designed this little pygmy-loooking toaster-with-TV-outputs, but I'm sure Netflix could have at least said, "Hey, make it look a little better than my gangrene-inflicted paraplegic sister's vagina."

What a friggin' joke. I like the device, I am a Netflix subscriber, I love the Watch It Now feature, but I'm not buying this thing simply because it LOOKS LIKE SHIT. Of all the beautiful devices I have in my A-V rack, the aesthetic (or lack of) on this wretched contraption would collectively bring the look of my entire living room down to the pit of ugly-hell this mutant box inhabits.

I don't think it's your sister's vagina that's having the problem.

• Reply 64 of 92
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

I don't think it's your sister's ... that's having the problem.

[/IMG]

Mr. wilco is our resident 'monologue'r. Pay no attention.......
  • Reply 65 of 92
    straskstrask Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YTV View Post

What you guys are not understanding is this is nothing new for Netflix. They have offered the service the last 1.5 years you just had to stream to your computer. This box just allows you to watch it on your TV, but its the same exact service Netflix has had for along time.

You say "all that's changing" but moving from the computer to the TV is a big deal. People gather 'round and watch TV. People buy expensive screens and hook the audio up to come out through expensive sound systems. They organize their furniture around their TVs. It's very different from streaming a movie to your computer. And even if we don't think so, the studios think so.
  • Reply 66 of 92
    gilwavegilwave Posts: 20member
    It's *streaming*, folks!! If you like stutter, hiccups, jitters, dropouts and other anomalies for your $8.99 a month, go for it.

I upgraded my AppleTV from 40GB to 160GB back before Apple offered a 160GB model. The internal hard drive and a simple user interface are the key to making an internet-connected movie/video/music/photo receiver/player worth having. HD is an absolute must with any of the new plasma/lcd/rptv displays that have been snapped up over last 3 years.

Anyone who has bought one of those TVs and upgraded their cable or satellite box to HD (usually at no additional charge) finds it very hard to go back to SD resolution.

You're all talking about rental movies as if that's the only thing we use these types of boxes for. I buy movies and music videos from the iTunes store, and maintain a huge library of music on an external 2TB hard drive. I also rip my favorite DVD movies and concert vids via Handbrake so I have those available to watch at moments notice, and I can hide the DVDs from the kids (they tend to scratch or lose them in their laptops)

I have a few custom playlists that sync to and reside on the AppleTV hard drive, as well as a nice photo library (from iPhoto, of course) that also acts as a screen saver. All of that is pretty cool, and keeps the kids (and their parents) occupied when they're hanging out in the family room - but the real kicker if you have teenagers and/or college kids in the house is the ability to watch YouTube videos on the big screen with surround sound, as well as the HD library of movie trailers Apple has on the AppleTV menu.

My main complaint is the lack of the use of the Apple keyboard tethered to my iMac in the family room - the search function using the AppleTV remote, sliding around through an ABC alphabet (c'mon, at least toggle a QWERTY option!) is maddening. If the AppleTV is on my network (and it has to be, to talk to my iTunes library) and the iMac is on my network, why can't I use the Apple keyboard to type in searches on the AppleTV?

Of course, the Roku box will have the same problem.

But all in all, the user experience and feature set of the AppleTV blows away the Netflix streaming Roku box - as well it should at over half the price.

Regardless, with the introduction of this Netflix/Roku solution, and with Sony (if they ever get their sh*t together) rolling out a video/music device for their hard-drive equipped, internet-connected Playstation 3, and Microsoft waking up to the fact that most of those Xbox 360 systems have hard drives and are already connected to the net and a television, it is obvious that movie and television and music content over the internet is the way to go.

If I owned a Blockbuster brick-and-mortar franchise, I'd be looking to get out right about now.

-g
  • Reply 67 of 92
    Why does it look like a cheap ADSL modem?
  • Reply 68 of 92
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I was looking at it again and it may be that they've combined the logo with an over-sized "window" for the IR remote control.

I thought that too and then decided nah. It didn't quite look right for that but perhaps.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    This looks like most of the "home office/entertainment" offerings from the Dull and Gapeway Computer Corps.
  • Reply 70 of 92
    I have Netflix and have used the streaming service with Fusion on my 17" Macbook Pro - the thing that people here don't seem to be seeing(or saying) is that it is NOT the entire Netflix library - only the files currently available for streaming. As it was said somewhere else, out of the Netflix top 100 rentals only 2 movies were available to this service - March of the penguins, and something else just as memorable- they wasn't new releases for sure. And the service stutters with no HD cashing. I can't say the quality is terrible but hulu's is better for the few things I've seen. I have to admit that most content looks better on a low resolution TV than scaling poorly on a hi-res monitor. For me nothing comes close to a Mac Mini which is the BEST solution - full internet, full DVDs, full music library, ALL video fomats that I have found, optical surround sound, HDMI with a cheap adaptor, and now totaly remote controllable through Leopard screen sharing.
  • Reply 71 of 92
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    If Apple would add the ability to use a wireless keyboard, and tweak the interface to allow direct-typing of search queries, than ATV would be a vastly improved product IMO. The more you use it, the more you wish you didn't have to fumble around for a minute to build your search term by thumbing around an onscreen keyboard. That would effectively address the NetFlix claim that it's much easier to use a computer to browse and find movies, which to this extent, is true.

edit: (oops...didn't see gilwave's post above, asking the same...!)
  • Reply 72 of 92
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    it's cool that netflix is getting into this, obviously they know the future isn't in physical media rentals.

there are a few issues that i have though:

1. the article says that there will be a selection of 10,000 movies/tv shows to watch out of netflix's 100,000 movie catalog. if this is the same selection that's being offered with their watch it now service, i suggest passing on this device, at least for now. the kind of shows and movies availible online with netflix are either old or terrible (or both) and there isn't a very big selection either.

apple's same-day-as-DVD releases totally destroy having a small back catalog.

2. what's up with this line:

"Netflix currently offers only standard definition streaming video and stereo sound. "

and this device has all kinds of HD outputs, what's the deal? it's almost as if netflix wants to trick people into thinking it's a real HD device. but you need CONTENT! what's the point of having HDMI if we can only get not only standard definition, but stereo internet-quality standard definition.
  • Reply 73 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

it's cool that netflix is getting into this, obviously they know the future isn't in physical media rentals.

there are a few issues that i have though:

1. the article says that there will be a selection of 10,000 movies/tv shows to watch out of netflix's 100,000 movie catalog. if this is the same selection that's being offered with their watch it now service, i suggest passing on this device, at least for now. the kind of shows and movies availible online with netflix are either old or terrible (or both) and there isn't a very big selection either.

apple's same-day-as-DVD releases totally destroy having a small back catalog.

Destroy? Lame use of the term. Besides, Apple only has about a tenth of the titles, and they're easily more expensive anyway. The same subscription fee allows access to 10k online and 100k discs by mail.

Quote:

2. what's up with this line:

"Netflix currently offers only standard definition streaming video and stereo sound. "

and this device has all kinds of HD outputs, what's the deal? it's almost as if netflix wants to trick people into thinking it's a real HD device. but you need CONTENT! what's the point of having HDMI if we can only get not only standard definition, but stereo internet-quality standard definition.

People levelled the same complaint against the Apple TV when it was first released too. There still aren't a whole lot of HD available for AppleTV anyway.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    hookoahookoa Posts: 4member
    NO HARDDRIVE.

That was the dealbreaker for me. I'm not on dialup, but on a rural wi-fi, which stutters when trying to watch streaming video. I June, that should change. We'll see. If my bandwidth improves radically, then I will certainly convert my current NetFlix account to stream.
  • Reply 75 of 92
    Just go to Netflix and look at the selection (if you are a member) - not much to look at. And you might as well hook the computer you need to program the list with up to the TV. This box doesn't give you anything you cant get with $99 worth of adaptors.
  • Reply 76 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The key breakthroughs of the Netflix Player are simplicity and cost," said Netflix chief executive Reed Hastings. "[It] allows consumers to use the full power of the Netflix Web site to choose movies for their instant Queue, and then automatically displays only those choices on the TV screen. That's a major improvement versus the clutter of trying to choose from 10,000 films on the TV."

Oh no! Let me sell my shares of Apple! NOT!

This device does do one thing my cable box does not. It allows me to use a poorly designed user interface to choose from a selection of thousands of films "on demand".
  • Reply 77 of 92
    [QUOTE=gilwave;1253933]

My main complaint is the lack of the use of the Apple keyboard tethered to my iMac in the family room - the search function using the AppleTV remote, sliding around through an ABC alphabet (c'mon, at least toggle a QWERTY option!) is maddening. If the AppleTV is on my network (and it has to be, to talk to my iTunes library) and the iMac is on my network, why can't I use the Apple keyboard to type in searches on the AppleTV?/QUOTE]

Searching on the Nintendo Wii via the Wii remote is very quick and easy. I don't see why Apple can't implement something similar.
  • Reply 78 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ersatzplanet View Post

Just go to Netflix and look at the selection (if you are a member) - not much to look at. And you might as well hook the computer you need to program the list with up to the TV. This box doesn't give you anything you cant get with $99 worth of adaptors.

Plus the expense of the computer you're not figuring in here? Any computer, Mac or PC, can manage the queue.

Besides, if it's for analog, just about any dedicated device has better video output than just about any consumer computer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by khurtwilliams View Post

Oh no! Let me sell my shares of Apple! NOT!

This device does do one thing my cable box does not. It allows me to use a poorly designed user interface to choose from a selection of thousands of films "on demand".

Have you even seen the interface, or are you just making assumptions? The screen shots I've seen on some of the reviews look pretty nifty.
  • Reply 79 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YTV View Post

LOL @ guys caring what it looks like. You are acting like a bunch of metrosexual women. Atleast if you buy it you guys can watch all those gay shows that im sure you like.

Seriously if your that insecure in your manhood just put that damn thing out of site, there is no need to prominently display it in your living room.

Does your TV encased in wood with small stylish legs?
  • Reply 80 of 92
    [QUOTE=JeffDM;1254234]Plus the expense of the computer you're not figuring in here? Any computer, Mac or PC, can manage the queue.

Since you need a computer (just like the Apple TV) to program the queue I imagine you already bought one - you don't need to add one more hence no more cost. This box to me is no more than an adaptor to get my internet to my TV. And a VERY limited internet at that - one website is all you can reach. That is too limiting to me. Anyone who is using a computer now to reach the net only needs to add an adaptor for the video (~$30 for the Mac to s-video - ~$50 for the HDMI one) and a mini to RCA for Stereo (to match the current Netflix capabilities) or an Optical cable (for my mac Mini under ~$20) if their computer supports it. There is are a few USB to surround interfaces if it doesn't. Now you can get streaming from the whole net, DVD playing, Music playing, etc. Oh and you can STORE things for later watching (I'm sure you have the tools for that).