AT&T says 3G network to be completed by June

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T said Wednesday it plans to have completed deployment of its vast 3G wireless infrastructure by next month, around the same time Apple is expected to begin selling a an updated iPhone that will take advantage of the faster wireless technology.



"By the end of June, connecting to AT&T's 3G mobile broadband service will be as speedy as logging onto the high speed Internet service that many consumers enjoy at home," the carrier said in a statement.



AT&T note that its final step in the process is to deploy High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) technology in six remaining markets covered by its 3G network, which will boost uploads speeds to the 500 - 800 Kbps range.



The new upload speeds will complement AT&T's existing 3G download capabilities, which offer speeds up to 1.4 Mbps thanks to previous deployments of its HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) technology.



Once completed, AT&T will be the only U.S. carrier to have fully deployed HSPA technology in its 3G network, with availability in more than 275 markets. The carrier said it will then work on scaling the technology to nearly 350 markets by year's end, at which time it will have spent a combined $20 billion over the past four years in improvements and upgrades.



"Equally as important as the network is the device through which a customer experiences it," the carrier said. "AT&T's handset portfolio in company-owned stores is more than 75 percent 3G-capable ? and will be even more enticing with the addition of more 3G-enabled smartphones in the summer and fall of 2008."



Earlier this month, AppleInsider reported on AT&T's long-term roadmap for its 3G network, which includes boosting speeds to the 7.2 Mbps range sometime later this year or early next, and eventually hit speeds of 20 Mbps sometime in 2009.



Beyond that, the the carrier says it has "a clear and logical path" to 700MHz 4G access via the Long Term Evolution (LTE) standard in the 2010 timeframe that could increase speeds to nearly 100 Mbps.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 42
    macnut222macnut222 Posts: 100member
    What a coincidence
  • Reply 2 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,183member
    I'll believe it when I see it for myself...



    In other news...
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Any word on which markets? Omaha? Des Moines?
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Could AT&T's race to upgrade the upload speed of their network have anything to do with the new iPhone having some certain feature that would be expected to make heavy use of uploading data?



    Something like, say, video chatting perhaps?
  • Reply 5 of 42
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Oh, and people still say Apple won't release a 3G iPhone in June-July?



    Oooh, I understand. Their heads are in sand.



    There is no denying that it is coming, and right on schedule. It is impossible not to. (overseas carriers in Australia are 3G capable only, so Vodafone and Optus in down under's announcements mean it MUST be a 3G launch.)
  • Reply 6 of 42
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    I would hardly call 800k/1.4m "as speedy as logging onto the high speed Internet service that many consumers enjoy at home" but then again how much do you need to surf the web, on your phone :-)
  • Reply 7 of 42
    jsonjson Posts: 54member
    Interesting.... in Sweden we already have 7.2 mbit HSDPA systems in place (not covering the entire country though mind you) and 1.4 mbit HSUPA.



    But do we have one (or more) operator(s) for the iPhone??

    NO!!!

    None of the nordic countries have.... are some of us losing our patience??

    YES!!!



    Ok, enough whining from me for now.



    Congratulations to you guys in the US getting mobile broadband!
  • Reply 8 of 42
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RidleyGriff View Post


    Could AT&T's race to upgrade the upload speed of their network have anything to do with the new iPhone having some certain feature that would be expected to make heavy use of uploading data?



    Something like, say, video chatting perhaps?



    It COULD. Hope it does. Gives me a chubbawoody just thinking about it. You needed to know that. That's why I shared.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post


    Any word on which markets?



    Good question. What defines a market?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    I'll believe it when I see it for myself...



    In other news...



    That is a nice piece of HW. It is because of this VGA @ 2.8" display that I think Apple will out at least a VGA display in the 3G iPhone.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post


    I would hardly call 800k/1.4m "as speedy as logging onto the high speed Internet service that many consumers enjoy at home" but then again how much do you need to surf the web, on your phone :-)



    I wonder what the average US internet speed is. I am getting about that in my hotel and if I put in my AT&T 3G USB card I get about the same. Though torrents work better through the hotel's network.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post


    Interesting.... in Sweden we already have 7.2 mbit HSDPA systems in place (not covering the entire country though mind you) and 1.4 mbit HSUPA.



    But do we have one (or more) operator(s) for the iPhone??

    NO!!!

    None of the nordic countries have.... are some of us losing our patience??

    YES!!!



    Ok, enough whining from me for now.



    Congratulations to you guys in the US getting mobile broadband!



    That is a lot of angry faces. Nokia has a very strong fan base in those areas and the iPhone is still currently EDGE and GPRS, the former of which was completely passed over. I don't think you're going to have much trouble procuring an iPhone in a month or two.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    jsonjson Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    That is a lot of angry faces. Nokia has a very strong fan base in those areas and the iPhone is still currently EDGE and GPRS, the former of which was completely passed over. I don't think you're going to have much trouble procuring an iPhone in a month or two.



    Yeah, sorry about the faces..... Yes Nokia have a strong fan base, but currently SonyEricsson is even stronger.



    I also think that we will soon get some announcement, I just hope that it will be the operator that has the best geographical coverage (Telia). I guess the faces are also somewhat a result of me being slightly nervous.....
  • Reply 12 of 42
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,204member
    and in other news again.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post


    I also think that we will soon get some announcement, I just hope that it will be the operator that has the best geographical coverage (Telia). I guess the faces are also somewhat a result of me being slightly nervous.....



    I am under the impression that the laws for many of those countries forbade locked phones; that all Apple could offer is an exclusivity right to a specific carrier only as a retail outlet.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by json View Post


    Yeah, sorry about the faces..... Yes Nokia have a strong fan base, but currently SonyEricsson is even stronger.



    I also think that we will soon get some announcement, I just hope that it will be the operator that has the best geographical coverage (Telia). I guess the faces are also somewhat a result of me being slightly nervous.....



    It's only a phone.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post


    Any word on which markets? Omaha? Des Moines?



    I can't find any information on the locations AT&T plans on updating or installing new cell sites. I did call AT&T and ask them however. The woman told me she is seeing plenty of 3G access in my area (Omaha). I asked her to check and verify the accuracy with someone else there. She said the map was correct. She definitely had no clue!
  • Reply 16 of 42
    jsonjson Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    It's only a phone.



    Of course. I am not losing sleep over this.



    But it would be sad if Apple chose to partner with an operator that basically covers the three major cities and some of more densly populated areas in the south.

    The best solution would be to have more than one operator of course.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    Yohe: There was an article in the Register -- or actually just a local AP News story -- a couple of weeks ago saying that AT&T is deploying its 3G network in Des Moines. If they're doing it in Des Moines, they're certainly doing it in Omaha, too. However, one of the AT&T store managers cautioned that it will be available only in Des Moines and West Des Moines. No guarantees on even Urbandale and Johnston, and certainly not as far as Ankeny.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    well they're making a lot of progress lately, my area has been covered completely with 3G coverage in the last 2 weeks http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
  • Reply 19 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RidleyGriff View Post


    Could AT&T's race to upgrade the upload speed of their network have anything to do with the new iPhone having some certain feature that would be expected to make heavy use of uploading data?



    Something like, say, video chatting perhaps?



    Most likely just general planning for increased demand. They probably anticipate the app store generating traffic, the known desire for IM on the iPhone, etc. All that on top of more customers making use of 3G in general, not just iPhone traffic (but that'll undoubtedly be a good amount).
  • Reply 20 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,737member
    This is all very expensive to do. That's why small countries with few dense population centers get coverage quickly, while we have to wait. There are tens of thousands of small towns here in the US. a thousand towns with a thousand people in it is just one million people. Even towns with ten thousand make up a small part of the population, though there are lots of them. It's tough to do here. Everything is so spread out.
Sign In or Register to comment.