Apple's AirPort grabs 10.6% share of 802.11N WiFi market

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The massive levels of confusion on the Apple Airport forums, seem to paint another picture.

Better still, take a look at the iChat discussions which has all manner of Voodoo nonsense required to get iChat AV to function reliably.

Apple does a better-than-average job at making networking easier. But I'd argue that it's still not being delivered in a consumer-friendly way. At the moment, the interface is still a Microsoft experience. Here is a page of settings. Go ahead set them....If it does not work. Go try another setting.

Instead I think a goal-based metaphor would be better for consumers.

A tool which was aware of all internet connections, routers, relays and clients. And at the same time knew what you were trying to achieve could really revolutionize networking.

C,

I don't know why, my daughter used it with her older machine without any problems, and is using it on her new iMac without any problems.

I don't use it except with her, and I have no problems.

Most people don't seen to be having problems.

I tend to think that people who have all of these problems have something else going on that's causing them.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I don't know why, my daughter used it with her older machine without any problems, and is using it on her new iMac without any problems.

I don't use it except with her, and I have no problems.

Most people don't seen to be having problems.

I tend to think that people who have all of these problems have something else going on that's causing them.

I did have issues with iChat A/V in Leopard beta and 10.5.0. 10.5.1 was better but Back To My Mac and screen sharng would only work intermittently. 10.5.2 works great for iChat A/V, Back To My Mac and screen sharing.

Though last night I did have to update an old Linksys 802.11b wireless router and 4-port switch with a firmware from 2003 to it's latest firmware from 2005 to get UPnP with allowed Back To My Mac to work.

The only issues I have with iChat A/V is the background effects. They don't do a good enough job of figuring out which part is the person and which is the background. Perhaps I need to invest in a green screen backdrop to entertain my nieces and nephews.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The massive levels of confusion on the Apple Airport forums, seem to paint another picture.

Better still, take a look at the iChat discussions which has all manner of Voodoo nonsense required to get iChat AV to function reliably.

Apple does a better-than-average job at making networking easier. But I'd argue that it's still not being delivered in a consumer-friendly way. At the moment, the interface is still a Microsoft experience. Here is a page of settings. Go ahead set them....If it does not work. Go try another setting.

Instead I think a goal-based metaphor would be better for consumers.

A tool which was aware of all internet connections, routers, relays and clients. And at the same time knew what you were trying to achieve could really revolutionize networking.

C,

QFT

At best, setting up all but the simplest network is an exercise in frustration. The current implementation is indirect in that you can't actually do things, rather you give apple some information and hope Apple figures out what you are trying to accomplish and sets up the system properly (rarely, In my experience).

The procedure seems to be "Here, try this... if that doesn't work, try something else"!

The fact that Apple seems to change or move things around with each release of OS X doesn't help.

We have a home network of:

--3 PPC IMacs 811.g

--2 Intel iMacs 811.n

--1 Intel Mac Mini 811.n connected to EyeTV and HDTV

--1 PPC Mac Mini 811.g connected to a Flatscreen TV along with the Tivo

--1 PowerBook G4

--1 Airport Extreme base station 811.n

--1 AppleTV 811.n connected to HDTV

--3 Airport Express 811.g connected to various stereos and remote printers

--a 5-port ethernet box to high-speed connect computers when necessary (Backup, Large file transfers)

--Various Ad Hoc FireWire connections between computers (Backup, Large file transfers)

-- 15 TB of external HD to house our collection of 500 DVDs, 11,000 songs, thousands of pictures and home videos (3 active grandkids 8-12, all play soccer, etc.). Also used for Backups, with or without Time Machine.

-- 3 iPhones, other cell phones and various iPods that need synching.

We use Comcast Cable and are (mostly) satisfied. In addition, We used to have ATT DSL, but it was so slow we removed it... will likely, reinstall when they deploy FiberOptics to our area.

One of the Intel iMacs runs a private web site, DAV, FCP and PodCast publishing.

I do run some apps that use special ports, requiring port-forwarding and Firewall setup!

Whew! Lotsa' stuff, but no non-Apple gear to complicate? things.

It takes a bit to set up, but it works. However, it is difficult when you have to change things-- kinda' like going to the Bible for a specific answer, but having to start at: "In the beginning...

So, I think your suggestions:

1) being goal-oriented

2) being aware-- not just WiFi, but all connections (BT, Ethernet, FireWire, USB)

Last time I looked, Apple, did a pretty god job helping to set up OS X Server (Tiger). I would hope that they add a "whole-environment", goal-oriented approach when they introduce the "Apple Home Environment" home server. For God's sake, Please... no Wizards!
  • Reply 44 of 44
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The only issues I have with iChat A/V is the background effects. They don't do a good enough job of figuring out which part is the person and which is the background. Perhaps I need to invest in a green screen backdrop to entertain my nieces and nephews.

If you are prepared to go the green screen route, goggle around first.

it takes a lot more than I originally thought:

1) Fairly large green screen, say 9' x 12'

2) space-- screen needs to be about 4 ' behind subject to avoid shadows

3) lighting for screen-- 2 2-light shop lights for either side (and maybe a third above) behind subject

4) subject lighting-- several speciality lights, defusers, reflectors in front/side of subject

Be prepared to spend $200, or so... and there's the space/setup issue!

And, after all that, there is no guarantee, though you can help things by using an external higher-resolution camera. (Maybe they shouldda' left Phil with the Fishies

I wanted to green screen videos (as opposed to live) so I went a different route.