MacBook Air: has Apple been listening? Maybe.

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As for USB, how about ditching the video connector?

Yes, because nobody uses a laptop to give presentations on a projector. A 2nd USB is far superior.
  • Reply 62 of 95
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Please leave the video out, thanks. I need it for presentations which I then control with my wireless remote, thus no need for a second USB.

The video out could be HDMI, however. I gave a presentation yesterday on a 50 inch plasma set ... wish I could have taken it home!

For the presentation, I needed to show the client's homepage... done using an Airport Express, so I didn't need to run an ethernet cable 20 feet across the room, out a door, down the hall and into another office where the only net access was located.

The entire time I was on location I only connected 2 cables to the MBA: power and video.
  • Reply 63 of 95
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

I believe that Apple will rev the MBAir according to feedback from actual users not because it doesn't meet the wants and the desires of some. If the feedback from real users is "more ports!", then we might see those.

While this is certainly true, that is current users will have significant influence on Apple, I can't at the same time see Apple ignoring ways to grow demand.

Quote:

Dave, the length and the frequency of your "attacks" on the current MB Air since its launch, makes me believe that you thought that the MB Air would be the "holy graal" of computers. It isn't and I'm sorry it didn't meet your requierements.

I wouldn't call them attacks but rather venting of frustrations. Lets be frank the AIR is hard to resist and part of that is its portability. At the same time though one has to look at personal needs and one of the things that blows on the machine is the limited storage and even greater limitations in attaching external storage.

The rational way to look at this is that technology will advance and take care of the storage problem, hopefully faster than my needs expand. The I/O problem, in some cases, doesn't need new technology and that is a big frustration. It is clear, in my mind anyways that Apple didn't take into account real every day use cases for the traveler.

Quote:

According to what I could read of your usage, you really needed a MB Pro (not Plus!), especially if you wanted to have a desktop replacement computer.

Yes at this point in time the MBP was the right avenue to take. That doesn't mean however that a lighter more portable machine would not have had its appeal. It is just that the limitations are well - to limiting.

Dave
  • Reply 64 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

Combine this with MacRonin's post above and that's where I am: The AIR is the next MacBook. They just can't get the price there yet. Among the potential AIR customers I know, none of whom even blink at the lack of ethernet or the paucity of ports.

Personally I don't see where the expense of the Current AIR is. Unless Intel is getting a very pretty penny for that "special" processor i don't see the reason for the high price. The price of course isn't impossible as I went with a MBP instead, it is the issue of what you get for that price.

Quote:

Wireless is great! The weight is great! The durability is great! Price is the major issue. Once Apple gets it down to MacBook range it will really fly off the shelves, and Apple will finally have some serious differentiation between their consumer and pro lines. The solid-state Air can continue to sell at a premium price for executive/business traveler types.

I don't doubt that any of those things are any less than great on the AIR, I use such on my MBP all the time. It is not what is there on AIR that is the problem but rather what is missing.

Quote:

I really don't understand the emphasis on ethernet only hotels. I book them regularly, plug in the AirPort Express, plug the printer and speakers into that, and type away in glorious wirelessness?on a 17" PowerBook whose gigabit ethernet jack has hardly ever seen use.

It is not just the issue of Ethernet only Hotels, but even there you are sometimes better off with a faster wired link. In any event there are several issues that come into play.

WiFi just isn't reliable. This even in plants that supposedly fully support such.

WiFi is often lock down pretty solidly.

Work cells or device that you might want to connect to are often isolated from what ever WiFi is available. Often completely isolated from the outside world.

An AIR Port Express is a nice device, the unfortunate thing is that it is another device. If you are already saddled with an excess of devices to carry around you don't want to add to that mess by throwing in a hub you wouldn't need if a real Ethernet port was there in the first place. I'd have to say it is fair to say that at times 2/3 rds or more of my traveling computer hardware volume was tied up in cables, adapters, dongles and other gadgets to do the job. The AIR Port Express just counters my desire to trim that as much as possible.

Quote:

Once the memory capacity becomes more than bare-bones a FW jack would make sense. It would be a great mobile recording machine except for the lack of storage, so until that's fixed there's no point adding FW.

See now I see this in the opposite sense, there is an admitted lack of storage on the AIR which is something that will slowly improve. Since that is an issue, which I see very few people denying, why not support a port that allows first class access to an external hard drive. FW should not be eliminated because of the lack of internal space, rather it is needed as a direct result of that lack of space.

I Guess it is the result of different ways in which each of us solves problems and likes to operate his PC. I'm sorry if this disappoints people but if I have to have an external storage device it will be on a dedicated port FW or USB. On AIR Apple should be able to do a dedicated USB port for nearly zero costs to the user and not impact the AIRS design at all. Not that USB on a Mac is all it could be but if we are talking about minimal impact improvements to AIR than USB is the easy one.

Dave
  • Reply 65 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

iTunes

YouTube

.mac

Amazon S3 and EC2

It's only a requirement for legacy machines right?

Non of those mean any thing if they are prohibited in some way shape or form. The reality is that some times networks become unaccessible and you can't stop what you are doing because of that. For example back when I use to travel very extensively I carried back ups of everything on CDROM. Having such saved my but numerous times including one case of having to rebuild a laptop HD from the ground up on a plane. The only thing good about today is that much more can be carried on smaller devices like USB keys.

Quote:

If you have multiple legacy devices then yes, you'd need a hub. But why are you hauling around all that stuff with an ultraportable in the first place?

man you just don't get it do you! You carry that stuff around to get a job done! Often what you carry varies form Job to Job. What you don't want to be doing though is carrying any more than what you need around.

Quote:

How much more effort is it to haul around a USB hub if you're already lugging around even the most portable of printers?

It can be significant even with the smaller travel hubs. Worst is the need to keep track of something that you wouldn't need on a different laptop.

Quote:

If you have a 3G card/device then why aren't you backing up to the much safer cloud than to a local medium that is about as likely as getting lost as the primary medium (i.e. someone steals your laptop bag, your hotel burns down, whatever).

This is easy, you can't rely on having the network there to your first point. As to media coming up missing that is easy too, travel with multiple copies and keep one on your person at all times. USB flash drives makes this real easy.

Quote:

It costs $.10/GB to transfersomething to Amazon S3 and $.18/month for storage. I use JungleDisk and it's drag and drop.

For some people such an arrangement is fine, for others it isn't for any number of reasons. For business right now I suspect that I would get zero traction with such an idea. Even for more personal usage there is the reality that access to that data isn't any more reliable than access to locally stored data.

Quote:

Here's step by step auto backup to S3 for the Mac (on a MBA no less)

http://vallery.net/2008/02/01/using-...ckup-your-mac/

Nice! But again means nothing. I have a Linux server at home that my time machine backups go to, and I have .Mac for available for other storage and syncing needs. Still the reality is that often both of those are unavailable to me. Even if I had a 3G card it won't be performing like a flash backup device and that is when a 3G connection can be had.

Quote:

If Apple were to add one thing to the Air to make it a better general purpose machine it would be an expresscard slot. Dunno where'd they find the space but you can add nearly anything if you do that.

Well that is interesting most of us are focused on real easily doable upgrades that you don't support and then you throw a major change into the mix. Bit strange if you ask me.

Quote:

The MacBook with an expresscard slot would be awesome.

Well Mac Book that might be possible, but if we are talking about major revisions to a different machine frankly I'd like to see SD and Compact Flash slots. But this is AIR not Mac Book and all we are really trying to focus on is minimal changes that would lead to a machine I could not resist.

Dave
  • Reply 66 of 95
    Quote:

Yes, because nobody uses a laptop to give presentations on a projector. A 2nd USB is far superior.

Yes much more superior than a video connector that I'd never use. The point is though Apple could easily make multiple iterations of the little trap door to provide the connector set that best supports the users needs. Making the AIR more capable for a greater audience does not imply having to give up what is currently there.

Dave
  • Reply 67 of 95
    Quote:

Non of those mean any thing if they are prohibited in some way shape or form. The reality is that some times networks become unaccessible and you can't stop what you are doing because of that. For example back when I use to travel very extensively I carried back ups of everything on CDROM. Having such saved my but numerous times including one case of having to rebuild a laptop HD from the ground up on a plane. The only thing good about today is that much more can be carried on smaller devices like USB keys.

You said there is a REQUIREMENT to use physical media to do those things. There is not.

If you have a restriction that makes it a requirement then the Mac Book AIR is not the machine for you. Get one with a built in drive.

Quote:

man you just don't get it do you! You carry that stuff around to get a job done! Often what you carry varies form Job to Job. What you don't want to be doing though is carrying any more than what you need around.

I DO get it. I get the fact that you want to change a machine designed for a different target user to fit YOUR needs. Tough.

The MBP is designed for your needs. It isn't exactly heavy or large.

Quote:

It can be significant even with the smaller travel hubs. Worst is the need to keep track of something that you wouldn't need on a different laptop.

You've got a bazillion things already and a tiny USB hub, which even if you lost you can repurchase in most US airports is not a deal killer.

If it IS a deal killer than the MBA is not the right machine for you. OR you wait a revision and get a MBA with wireless USB and update your required gear for you "to get a job done".

Or buy the right machine in the first place.

Quote:

This is easy, you can't rely on having the network there to your first point. As to media coming up missing that is easy too, travel with multiple copies and keep one on your person at all times. USB flash drives makes this real easy.

Yes, you should buy an ultraportable laptop in order to save enough weight to carry multiple backups of everything required to rebuild a laptop.

If you can't rely on having a network then you SHOULDN'T BUY A LAPTOP DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR WIRELESS USE.

Quote:

For some people such an arrangement is fine, for others it isn't for any number of reasons. For business right now I suspect that I would get zero traction with such an idea. Even for more personal usage there is the reality that access to that data isn't any more reliable than access to locally stored data.

Yes, because email and VPN are not currently business critical services with enterprise level reliability and has zero traction within business.

I can reach my network shares via VPN anywhere I have a network connection. If I don't have a network connection, there's no way to have any of that data locally ANYWAY or be able to use any of the enterprise tools on my intranet.

If you are one of the "others" then I suggest you BUY A DIFFERENT MACHINE.

Quote:

Nice! But again means nothing. I have a Linux server at home that my time machine backups go to, and I have .Mac for available for other storage and syncing needs. Still the reality is that often both of those are unavailable to me. Even if I had a 3G card it won't be performing like a flash backup device and that is when a 3G connection can be had.

And if I lost everything I can recreate everything I need from an online backup using any PC I purchase locally. Then I can still get the "job done".

So it means something and it's a dozen USB keys or DVD discs I'm not hauling around all over the damn place "just in case".

If I'm going somewhere where I don't think I'll have wireless and its mission critical I'll carry my ToughBook instead of my MBP.

Quote:

Well that is interesting most of us are focused on real easily doable upgrades that you don't support and then you throw a major change into the mix. Bit strange if you ask me.

I disagree it is "easily doable" to have the user decide which ports they want in an ultraportable. Instead I might classify that as "a freaking design and logistic nightmare".

Quote:

But this is AIR not Mac Book and all we are really trying to focus on is minimal changes that would lead to a machine I could not resist.

Quote:

Yes much more superior than a video connector that I'd never use. The point is though Apple could easily make multiple iterations of the little trap door to provide the connector set that best supports the users needs. Making the AIR more capable for a greater audience does not imply having to give up what is currently there.

Dave

Yes, it's all about you isn't it?

For folks that need more ports the answer is wireless USB in the future. The MBA is in rev A and slightly before it's time. In a year or two's time this will be a complete non-issue.
  • Reply 68 of 95
    Quote:

It is not just the issue of Ethernet only Hotels, but even there you are sometimes better off with a faster wired link. In any event there are several issues that come into play.

1. WiFi just isn't reliable. This even in plants that supposedly fully support such.

Your airport express is within feet of you. It should be damned reliable.

Quote:

2. WiFi is often lock down pretty solidly.

It's your WiFi device. It's as locked down as you want.

Quote:

3.Work cells or device that you might want to connect to are often isolated from what ever WiFi is available. Often completely isolated from the outside world.

The odds are that you will not be allowed to connect a foreign laptop to any network that won't let you attach a AirPort Express anyway.

The number of places that will not have wireless, not allow you to connect your own wireless device AND allows you to connect an unknown laptop to their network is very few.

Quote:

4.An AIR Port Express is a nice device, the unfortunate thing is that it is another device. If you are already saddled with an excess of devices to carry around you don't want to add to that mess by throwing in a hub you wouldn't need if a real Ethernet port was there in the first place. I'd have to say it is fair to say that at times 2/3 rds or more of my traveling computer hardware volume was tied up in cables, adapters, dongles and other gadgets to do the job. The AIR Port Express just counters my desire to trim that as much as possible.

Name these other things you routinely carry.

Quote:

I Guess it is the result of different ways in which each of us solves problems and likes to operate his PC. I'm sorry if this disappoints people but if I have to have an external storage device it will be on a dedicated port FW or USB.

It doesn't "disappoint" people as much as it disappoints you that you can't think a little outside the box. In any case, I think the final conclusion is that the MBA is not the laptop for you.

Quote:

On AIR Apple should be able to do a dedicated USB port for nearly zero costs to the user and not impact the AIRS design at all. Not that USB on a Mac is all it could be but if we are talking about minimal impact improvements to AIR than USB is the easy one.

Except that Apple disagrees. Do you really think they left off a 2nd usb port just to piss you off?

Why not ask for something more reasonable? Like a built in USB hub on the drive?

You want to lug the drive around anyway and that would solve the MBA's "tragic" flaw.
  • Reply 69 of 95
    steffisteffi Posts: 16member
    Or ethernet port.

The other day I tried to restore my MacBook Air from a Time Capsule but when you use Superdrive it means you cannot plug in ethernet to Time Capsule. So if you want to do this faster you need to use Remote Disk which requires another machine so that the only available USB port is then plugged into the Time Capsule by ethernet.

Restoring by wireless just isn't an option and assuming it finishes successfully it will be considerably longer than having been wired to the Time Capsule.

Quote:

Your airport express is within feet of you. It should be damned reliable.

It's your WiFi device. It's as locked down as you want.

The odds are that you will not be allowed to connect a foreign laptop to any network that won't let you attach a AirPort Express anyway.

The number of places that will not have wireless, not allow you to connect your own wireless device AND allows you to connect an unknown laptop to their network is very few.

Name these other things you routinely carry.

It doesn't "disappoint" people as much as it disappoints you that you can't think a little outside the box. In any case, I think the final conclusion is that the MBA is not the laptop for you.

Except that Apple disagrees. Do you really think they left off a 2nd usb port just to piss you off?

Why not ask for something more reasonable? Like a built in USB hub on the drive?

You want to lug the drive around anyway and that would solve the MBA's "tragic" flaw.

• Reply 70 of 95
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    What is interesting about this thread is that it has transcended humble origins to become a fascinating discussion on wireless connectivity versus physical connectivity.

We all agree that WiFI, Bluetooth and WiMax (when it arrives) are beautiful things. The elimination of wires is obviously desirable. But there is a continuing need to be able to connect a wide range of devices to even the most mobile of devices in order to access data. Steffi's post above citing the need to connect Time Capsule and a Superdrive is an excellent example that supports the case for an additional port.

This brings us back to USB. The cleverness of USB 2.0 is that it is a universal standard in a way that Firewire isn't. Which isn't to say that Firewire is irrelevant, but probably not a priority for this machine. With the advent of USB 3.0, Firewire may become the Betamax of connection standards. USB 2.0 (and 3.0 when it arrives), provides in-built flexibility that complements the wireless advantages of the MacBook Air. One additional USB port would go a long way to add significant extra functionality to what is already an excellent machine.

What i hear loud and clear from this discussion is that there are a whole bunch of other devices people want to attach before a screen, so the video in port could perhaps be replaced by a USB port. Far, better actually just to add an additional USB port and keep the video port. (But please can we have a Mini DVI to HDMI connector).

Is Apple getting any of this? You betcha.
  • Reply 71 of 95
    Very few people here have said they wanted to attach much of anything to an MBA. Not only do I own an MBA, I also own a MacBook and a MacBook Pro (not to mention several desktops) and know very well the levels of connectivity associated with each. The MBA was designed as a wireless machine: Apple markets it as built for the wireless world. If your world isn't wireless, then the MBA isn't for you and Apple doesn't need to adapt it to your needs because they already make something that suits them: the MB and the MBP.

The MBA is, however, going to be picked up by some business professionals (ie, upper levels) who need to make presentations on a regular basis and therefore the video port is essential; a second USB port was probably an option at the original design phase but the intent was for the machine to be as wireless as possible and thus the absence of tons of ports adds to the overall flavor.

---

Though USB has been adapted for more uses (not to say FW could have been... this is a history lesson unto itself), Firewire currently blows USB away as far as transfer times are concerned. Just ran a transfer test of the same folder:

File size: 1.36 GB

USB 2 time: 128 seconds (2 minutes 8 seconds)

FW800 time: 40 seconds (and Spotlight was scanning the HD during the transfer)

For the near future, I will stick with FW800 for my desktop machines. However, you are right that FW is not necessary for the MBA; anyone who needs that much speed would probably get a MBP anyway.

A quick look at wikipedia and I discovered that FW is used in the F-22 Raptor and the space shuttle.
  • Reply 72 of 95
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Very few people here have said they wanted to attach much of anything to an MBA.

Berg, I disagree with this comment; I started this thread based on my analysis of feedback. The one universal complaint is: not enough ports.

Quote:

The MBA was designed as a wireless machine: Apple markets it as built for the wireless world.

I also disagree with this comment; Apple markets the Air as a sub-notebook.

Quote:

If your world isn't wireless, then the MBA isn't for you and Apple doesn't need to adapt it to your needs because they already make something that suits them: the MB and the MBP.

I also disagree with this comment; The Air is for people who want a MacBook or MacBook Pro, but who don't want to carry around the extra weight. Add a decent sized hard drive and for anyone who doesn't need to run graphics intensive programs the Air can be an only computer.

Quote:

The MBA is, however, going to be picked up by some business professionals (ie, upper levels) who need to make presentations on a regular basis and therefore the video port is essential; a second USB port was probably an option at the original design phase but the intent was for the machine to be as wireless as possible and thus the absence of tons of ports adds to the overall flavor.

Finally, I agree with something you wrote. The ability to use the Air with a projector or LCD TV is vital. If you were forced to choose between an extra UB port and a video port, you'd have to go for the latter. But again I ask the question: would it be so hard to fit a second USB port without changing the existing design noticeably? I think not. (And by the way, I think I'd rather have a second USB port than a Firewire one, even though Firewire is faster.)

I think the Air is a stunning computer. I am sorely tempted by it. The only thing that makes me hold back is the new MacBook Pro, which should be all things to all people, and the MacBook Air's own Rev A, which should be such a quantum leap in its capabilities that it will bare little similarity with the existing model.
  • Reply 73 of 95
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Berg, I disagree with this comment; I started this thread based on my analysis of feedback. The one universal complaint is: not enough ports.

You have an odd definition of the word 'universal'.
  • Reply 74 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DOSbox-gamer View Post

And, a complaint: something that could properly address the lack of ports is, a really well thought-out *DOCKING STATION* (heads up, DockEndz). Plug in the sole USB, mini DVI, and audio on one side, and get multiple USB ports, full-size DVI and VGA video connectors (for the 23" HD Cinema), separate or combined analog and digital audio I/Os, a FireWire-to-USB internal adapter, another for eSATA, and full 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet, all in one compact external unit. Ideally it would also have power and activity LEDs for the different ports as needed, a built-in speaker or two, and maybe even a 5.25" or 3.5" expansion bay for your choice of plug-in HDD or optical disk drive. I know that all sounds like a lot, but I still remember Compucable's iDock ( http://www.welovemacs.com/idock-fw.html ) (And no, the Dynadock isn't close enough.)

at the cost of a lot usb cpu load also gig-e is use less at that setup as usb 2.0 can't hit full gig-e speeds much less with all that other stuff on it.

They need a real network port on it.
  • Reply 75 of 95
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:

I also disagree with this comment; Apple markets the Air as a sub-notebook.

I also disagree with this comment; The Air is for people who want a MacBook or MacBook Pro,

I think you're wrong on this one Tail:

Quote:

Introducing MacBook Air

The world's thinnest notebook.

MacBook Air is ultrathin, ultraportable, and ultra unlike anything else. But you don?t lose inches and pounds overnight. It?s the result of rethinking conventions. Of multiple wireless innovations. And of breakthrough design. With MacBook Air, mobile computing suddenly has a new standard.

MacBook Air is designed and engineered to take full advantage of the wireless world.

Nowhere Apple calls the MacBook Air a sub-notebook. All over the descriptions Apple talks about full-size everything: keyboard, display, etc...

I think the Air is for people who want something different from the MB or the MBP...

PS: If someone can translate what Joe-the-dragon just wrote above, I'll try to answer it.
  • Reply 76 of 95
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

I started this thread based on my analysis of feedback.

(Berg: Apple markets it as built for the wireless world.) I also disagree with this comment; Apple markets the Air as a sub-notebook.

Sorry Tailpipe but this sums up everything that is wrong with this thread.

For crying out loud it's called the MacBook bloody AIR! It's all about wireless. If you want to plug in lots of cables then guess what? This machine is not designed for you, or the forum geeks, bloggers and journos who are providing your so-called feedback.
  • Reply 77 of 95
    I was going to reply, but it looks like a few people beat me to it.

A little research goes a long way:

Click here and look at the boxes at the bottom:

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

#3 "Built for the wireless world."

Oh, well, Apple must mean something else; I really wish they would be more accurate in their descriptions.

Click here:

http://store.apple.com/us

Check the top sellers list. The Air is ranked, hmm, that's odd for a machine that is severely crippled and so useless, #1, as it has been for weeks.

Apple also says that their best quarter sales ever last quarter were driven in part by the Air, so it is selling very, very well. Indeed, I think it is above their expectations.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...h_more___.html

So, although many, many people seem to believe that the Air is not a great computer and that it just doesn't cut it, sales figures (reality) would seem to suggest the opposite, unless we are to believe that the average consumer is an idiot.
  • Reply 78 of 95
    Still at #1 in several countries.
  • Reply 79 of 95
    Quote:

Still at #1 in several countries.

I think the current macbook air is great for a portability factor and other aspects.

i dont have one currently but i will probably get one in 2-4 years

this is what i would hope it to have

2.4ghz intel core 3 duo

256 ssd

4gb ram

solar rechargeable batter with 10 hrs fully charged with wifi on

full length touchpad covering the bottom pat of macbook air touchpad

OLED screen with ssd backlighting, 120hz and a resolution of 1900 X 1200

2 usb, 1 firewall

.05mm- .5cm thick

pric of $2000 or under
  • Reply 80 of 95
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdhockeyfan424 View Post

.05mm- .5cm thick

You forgot to add the invisible cloaking feature.