Orange reportedly offering upgrade deals for next iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
French iPhone owners are said to be receiving offers from Orange that would discount the new iPhone for owners of today's model.

Multiple readers of French technology site PCInpact are claiming to have been called by Orange regarding an upgrade to the future Apple handset (English translation through Electronista).

The first solution would allegedly entail a direct swap. A trade-in for the current model would reduce the price of a new iPhone to 50 Euros, effectively subsidizing nearly all the cost of the new phone with the old one.

Alternately, subscribers could obtain the next iPhone at what's referred to as a "generous" discount, the website claims, although what this would involve is a mystery.

Orange, for its part, remains silent in regards to the matter and has yet to address PCInpact's claims.

If true, such a gesture by the carrier would represent the first instance of a subsidy connected to the new and likely 3G-capable iPhone -- an offer previously unavailable with any of the iPhone's six countries, which for now offer the handheld at full price and compensate Apple by supplying a portion of its subscription revenues each month.

Other changes from the iPhone's largely fixed prices have revolved around temporary discounts to clear overstock at certain carriers, including a £100 price drop for 8GB iPhones through O2 UK and an ongoing variable-rate discount through T-Mobile's German branch that discounts the iPhone depending on the customer's choice of service plan.

Analysts have suggested that Apple may need to begin subisidies with its next-generation iPhone to maintain sales momentum and expand to certain markets. As an established product, the iPhone is seen by experts as needing more than just publicity to drive sales and may be switched to a subsidized model, particularly in China and other countries whose carriers may reject any revenue sharing deals outright.

Regardless of how accurate the calls may be, the true extent of any alleged change in business models is likely to be felt in June, when most expect Apple to introduce its long-awaited 3G iPhone model and give local carriers an opportunity to formally unveil their own plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Alternately, subscribers could obtain the next iPhone at what's referred to as a "generous" discount, the website claims, although what this would involve is a mystery.

This usually involves extending your contract with Orange France for 12 or 24 months.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    at the trade in value of $80. Think I could get a little more than that.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Reminded of me the show "Family Guy" when Peter was offered a choice of a speedboat or mystery box. He chose the mystery box saying to his wife "There could be a speedboat in the mystery box" and got something stupid instead
  • Reply 4 of 13
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

This usually involves extending your contract with Orange France for 12 or 24 months.

As opposed to what?

Do you expect a generous discount from the carrier with no obligation to stay on contract with them?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    zedraczedrac Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

You misread. The NEW iPhone would cost 50 euros after you trade in your old one.

vvv too fast for ya, winterspan vvv
  • Reply 6 of 13
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

No, you read it wrong. With an existing iPhone as trade-in, they are only making you PAY 50 Euro ($80 USD) to get the brand new one. That is an EXCELLENT DEAL! That would be great if AT&T did something similar, although I doubt they will.

Quote:

"A trade-in for the current model would reduce the price of a new iPhone to 50 Euros, effectively subsidizing nearly all the cost of the new phone with the old one."

edit: Damn you browser cache! Zedrac, I swear your post wasn't there before mine.. lol
  • Reply 7 of 13
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Reminded of me the show "Family Guy" when Peter was offered a choice of a speedboat or mystery box. He chose the mystery box saying to his wife "There could be a speedboat in the mystery box" and got something stupid instead

I believe it's "Lois, a boat's a boat, but the mystery box could be anything! It could even be a boat! You know how much we've always wanted one of those."

Or something close to that anyways.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    adifishadifish Posts: 5member
    Ohhhhh .. I really hope O2 in the UK offer something like that, depending on the tariff of course!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    a-mazea-maze Posts: 65member
    reading the commenting posts on the french site:

Option to buy the new iPhone and prolong your existing contract for another two years: 200 euros

Option to sell your old iPhone 150 euros. (at least at Mobistar, Belgian 100% daughter of Orange)

Option to swap old for new and prolong contract for another two years: 50 euros.

Looks like they're getting the same pricing schemes as other new phones!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    I'm confused; is the new iPhone also a boat?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I believe it's "Lois, a boat's a boat, but the mystery box could be anything! It could even be a boat! You know how much we've always wanted one of those."

Or something close to that anyways.

LOL

I guess you are right
  • Reply 12 of 13
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    This is all so disappointing. Apple seems to have utterly and completely given up the fight on changing the crappy, cluttered, bait-and-switch business models of these Neanderthals (no offense meant to the Neanderthals).
  • Reply 13 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ...meanwhile, back at the secret underground AppleCave™, Teh Steve just burst a vein in his forehead.