Apple looks to extend display life with removable LED strips

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Cool! What you dismiss as entirely unimportant in determining where to place your purchasing dollars, is exactly what I value as being at least in the top 10 items of primary importance.

I guess I can live with accepting the fact that we're each irrelevant to each other.

I'm not saying that it's irrelevant. I'm saying that it's irrelevant to this conversation, which is about Apple's new invention, and patenting, of the removable LED backlight.

The mobo question is far off course. If you would like to discuss that, that's fine. It just came in from left field.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think LED backlights use inverters. That's more associated with running the fluorescent backlight bulbs.

Yes, but that's not the point I was making. Inverters have a much higher failure rate than any other part of traditional (fluorescent backlight) LCD displays. Since the actual LCD would take an eternity to lose enough pixels to become unusable, it's likely that an LED backlight would become the most frequently-replaced part. It would be advantageous to be able to replace this relatively inexpensive part without having to replace the comparatively expensive LCD along with it.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ringo View Post

Yes, but that's not the point I was making. Inverters have a much higher failure rate than any other part of traditional (fluorescent backlight) LCD displays. Since the actual LCD would take an eternity to lose enough pixels to become unusable, it's likely that an LED backlight would become the most frequently-replaced part. It would be advantageous to be able to replace this relatively inexpensive part without having to replace the comparatively expensive LCD along with it.

I would rebut but it might be 3 months before a reply so I will refrain.