Me.com belongs to Apple; Vegas iMac deal

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple's Internet service strategy has become clearer with the transfer of Me.com to the company. Also, Apple has struck a deal for iMacs in a Las Vegas hotel.



Apple's ownership of Me.com



Lending further support to notions that Apple will soon rebrand and overhaul .Mac, Daring Fireball and fellow technology pundits on Twitter have discovered that Me.com is now in Apple's hands.



On Saturday, records show the domain transitioned from any EasyDNS registration to MarkMonitor, a company that manages domain name services for commercial brands -- including Apple and its host domain. MarkMonitor was most recently used to park various MacBook Air-related domains by the electronics maker.



And while it's possible to abuse such registrations, a site report for Me.com points to the domain administrator as Apple's Ken Eddings, the same employee responsible for MobileMe.com as well as many other Apple-owned domains, including iPod.com. Currently, a simple NSLOOKUP command also confirms Eddings' link to the site.



The reason for the acquisition remains unclear, although the switch would give Apple access to a simpler domain than MobileMe.com for any future service; the company's most recent Mail and Safari updates have deliberately left placeholders for .Mac's new name that would allow a simple change.



Recent discoveries in the iPhone SDK have suggested that the future service will include tighter integration with iPhones and iPod touch players.



iMacs to populate Vegas hotel



In a more public deal, the upcoming Fontainebleau hotel in Las Vegas will partner with Apple for a unique addition to its suites, according to a fresh tip sent to TUAW.



The hotel's official brochure (PDF) notes an "innovative relationship" with Apple where each of the 3,889 rooms will have an iMac to "share memories and encourages personal expression." It also suggests a connection between the two companies for online booking and planning as well as interactive content at the hotel itself.



Few details beyond this are available, though the Fontainebleau opens the doors to its Vegas location in the fall.



Apple has a relatively strong presence in Vegas, operating two existing retail stores as well as a planned third store at Caesar's Palace.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,415member
    See it's always been about Me, Me, Me!



    ("Me" is the new "i")
  • Reply 2 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 30,415member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    iMacs to populate Vegas hotel



    In a more public deal, the upcoming Fontainebleau hotel in Las Vegas will partner with Apple for a unique addition to its suites, according to a fresh tip sent to TUAW.



    The hotel's official brochure (PDF) notes an "innovative relationship" with Apple where each of the 3,889 rooms will have an iMac to "share memories and encourages personal expression." It also suggests a connection between the two companies for online booking and planning as well as interactive content at the hotel itself.



    Few details beyond this are available, though the Fontainebleau opens the doors to its Vegas location in the fall.



    Apple has a relatively strong presence in Vegas, operating two existing retail stores as well as a planned third store at Caesar's Palace.



    They must be planning on a very limited user interface for the hotel. I can't imagine how much could get screwed up by guests and little kids erasing important files from an iMac...
  • Reply 3 of 57
    ntropyntropy Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    They must be planning on a very limited user interface for the hotel. I can't imagine how much could get screwed up by guests and little kids erasing important files from an iMac...



    They may do something like Fry's has done lately. The locks they've put on the UI there seem to make it not much more than the old At Ease. Very little is accessible to the average user.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Hmm...wonder if this opens the door to usernames like f**k.me.com
  • Reply 5 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,262member
    While they would likely lok up setting in the machines, it would also likely be done in a more subtle way. You don't need to simplify the interface that much to do it.



    It's a good plan though. A lot of people go through those rooms in a year. That gives good exposure to Apple from people who obviously don't mind spending disposable income.



    Hopefully, it will be considered a big success by the hotel. If so, perhaps we will see more such deals.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I'm curious how this fits in with .Mac. There is certainly very little "me" in the current .Mac offering. I'd bet that most people use if for the Mac-to-Mac sync and the iDisk, and little else. The online PIM clients for contacts and calendars is poor, at best; and just how many people make and maintain their own websites as a personal expression of "me" (vs static, set-it-and-forget-it web pages)?



    Are the Me domains a hint that Apple is going to jump into the social networking space? I don't think that would be successful at the current $99/year price. Apple seems loath to allow advertising on their services so there would have to be some sort of fee. Perhaps this isn't simply a rebranding of .Mac, but a complimentary service with different pricing tiers? Maybe basic "Me" interactive, social networking for free with an up-sell to today's .Mac services?



    I guess only time will tell...
  • Reply 7 of 57
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    While they would likely lok up setting in the machines, it would also likely be done in a more subtle way. You don't need to simplify the interface that much to do it.



    It's a good plan though. A lot of people go through those rooms in a year. That gives good exposure to Apple from people who obviously don't mind spending disposable income.



    Hopefully, it will be considered a big success by the hotel. If so, perhaps we will see more such deals.



    Leopard already has Guest accounts that reset themselves automatically when you log out. You can restrict what type of access the guest is allowed, and any files they save or other changes they make are deleted when they are done. I wouldn't imagine it would take too much more tweaking to customize if for hotel use.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post


    Hmm...wonder if this opens the door to usernames like f**k.me.com



    I like your thinking



    or if they won't let you have that...



    screw.me.com



  • Reply 9 of 57
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    Leopard already has Guest accounts that reset themselves automatically when you log out. You can restrict what type of access the guest is allowed, and any files they save or other changes they make are deleted when they are done. I wouldn't imagine it would take too much more tweaking to customize if for hotel use.



    or the maid could wipe the HD and reinstall, while she was changing the sheets

    before the next occupant checks in.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    Leopard already has Guest accounts that reset themselves automatically when you log out. You can restrict what type of access the guest is allowed, and any files they save or other changes they make are deleted when they are done. I wouldn't imagine it would take too much more tweaking to customize if for hotel use.



    That's what I'm talking about, though I didn't remember what they called it. The old days are gone, simplified interfaces aren't needed for this, except for young children who might be confused by it.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    So AI is becoming a reprint of MacRumors now, I see.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post


    or the maid could wipe the HD and reinstall, while she was changing the sheets

    before the next occupant checks in.



    Actually, it could be even simpler than that... using ARD it could be tied to the check-in/out system. Last time I stayed at the Venetian you did the check out process using the TV remote... this would be even simpler with the iMac and a real keyboard. As soon as you're out of the room ARD can set the machine to boot off the net-boot server and automatically re-image the machine. Even if this is unnecessary most of the time it would likely be done every time so that no one could leave any data on the machine for future guests. On a gigabit connection re-imaging a machine should only take around 10 minutes even with an entire suite of software installed.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    they can deep freeze them like the ones at the apple store are setup.



    Also how much will it cost $15 + a day on top of the room rate just for the internet.

    $8+ per hour for games. $7 - $9 for movies. $15 + for adult ones.

    interactive content that is just same as the in room check out and on screen room Service.



    Logenet has been doing that for years and I don't think they will let apple come in.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post


    So AI is becoming a reprint of MacRumors now, I see.



    I've noticed the same thing lately. Makes me wonder why I even have both sites bookmarked.\
  • Reply 15 of 57
    citycity Posts: 522member
  • Reply 16 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post


    I've noticed the same thing lately. Makes me wonder why I even have both sites bookmarked.\



    Well, MacRumors is just a reprint from other sites! AI also reprints other stuff, because it's all the same news. But MacRumors is far worse.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    They must be planning on a very limited user interface for the hotel. I can't imagine how much could get screwed up by guests and little kids erasing important files from an iMac...



    You don't know much about Macs, do you?



    They could simply create a user account with limited access and then have the system boot to that account by default.



    That wouldn't prevent someone from rebooting from a CD and reinstalling software or resetting the password, but it wouldn't be easy to prevent that on a Mac (too bad you can't password protect the BIOS like on a PC).
  • Reply 18 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,491member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    See it's always been about Me, Me, Me!



    ("Me" is the new "i")



    Me is the service i is the product
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    You don't know much about Macs, do you?



    They could simply create a user account with limited access and then have the system boot to that account by default.



    That wouldn't prevent someone from rebooting from a CD and reinstalling software or resetting the password, but it wouldn't be easy to prevent that on a Mac (too bad you can't password protect the BIOS like on a PC).



    you can put a password on that.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    alpichalpich Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post


    <[email protected]!



    I like this one because if we can buy 'me' emails it will be @me. And on that note I would be going for



    <[email protected]

    <[email protected]

    <[email protected]

    <[email protected]

    <Here'[email protected]

    <[email protected]

    <[email protected]



    But my favourite would be



    <[email protected]

    <[email protected]

    <[email protected]
Sign In or Register to comment.