Apple Back-to-School promo to offer free 8GB iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Very nice. Buy a Mac, get a free pocket-size quarter-inch-thin WiFi tablet computer/PDA/Internet appliance/game handheld.

But if you already have an iPhone, then put it towards an iPod Classic, and use that as extra storage.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    What bums me out about this news is that it seems to imply that the price of iPod Touches won't be coming down, if the rebate that will be given is for $299.

I was hoping that, with the price of flash memory coming down, Apple would drop the price of Touches. I'd like a 32GB version to keep all my music on, but $500 is too steep. If they can drop it to $400 I'd buy. Guess I'll have to wait and see what happens 'round Christmastime.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

What bums me out about this news is that it seems to imply that the price of iPod Touches won't be coming down, if the rebate that will be given is for $299.

I was hoping that, with the price of flash memory coming down, Apple would drop the price of Touches. I'd like a 32GB version to keep all my music on, but $500 is too steep. If they can drop it to $400 I'd buy. Guess I'll have to wait and see what happens 'round Christmastime.

They could always lower the value of the Back To School deal once the iPod Touch is lowered. Or they might offer more capacity or other features to maintain the current pricepoint.

Most people don't want to store their entire music collection on their iPod, but if you do then you may want to consider an IPod Classic at 80 and 160GB capacities.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    djleyodjleyo Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you buy online you don't need to have a student ID.

is this true???!!!!

because i go to school in mex and dont have a student id form the u.s. and i would buy it in the online store
  • Reply 25 of 63
    djleyodjleyo Posts: 2member
    ohhhh forgot !!!

does this discount/promotion apply to refurbished mac's ???
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djleyo View Post

is this true???!!!!

because i go to school in mex and dont have a student id form the u.s. and i would buy it in the online store

Yes, they ask for a school but they don't verify the info.

Disclaimer: I suggest only student who have lost their ID use this method to keep in the spirit of the discount.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djleyo View Post

ohhhh forgot !!!

does this discount/promotion apply to refurbished mac's ???

No, it does not.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I've ordered probably a dozen times via the Apple online education store, and I've never provided any kind of ID or verification of any kind.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    smallfrysmallfry Posts: 2member
    I used the education discount in the fall to buy my macbook. All they did was take a glance at my student ID, then they took my driver's license number (im assuming as a way for them to keep track of your purchases since you can only use that education discout for a particiular device once a year). But I got the discount immediately. It was not a rebate deal. I also got the discount on the extended warranty plan as well.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Peoplezzzzz don't forget the FREE PRINTER too....

Hmm mmm iLike
  • Reply 30 of 63
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macd-to-death View Post

2. Will we be able to exchange it for $299 of Apple store credit in general or only towards the purchase of a different ipod touch? I want to use it towards an iPhone!

In the past, these promotions have been mail-in rebates. It works like this:

1.) You buy a "qualifying Mac" at full (or student) price.

2.) You buy a "qualifying iPod" at full price.

3.) You wait for your products to arrive.

4.) You fill in a form and send it to Apple together with receipts and shipping labels cut out from (not peeled off) the shipping boxes.

5.) Apple send you a rebate cheque six weeks later.

So, whether you can use this "towards" an iPhone or not depends upon whether an iPhone is going to be in the "qualifying iPod" category or not.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    dwr50dwr50 Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As you previously posted:

It sure seems like Apple has let quality drop out of it's business plan. They seem to be following Microsoft's plan of letting customers do the flaw finding, instead of there own developers. I'm sure glad I didn't buy a new Apple computer, and I won't be buying one until they solve their quality control problems. REF:http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...99#post1257199 Post # 2

I thought it was because you didn't like the quality.

I don't like the quality or the prices. The more I use Linux the more I like it. I don't think I'll be using MS or Apple in the future.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    coreymaccoreymac Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

1. These usually go into September. (The real downfall to waiting is that you end up really close to the holiday iPod refresh so your new iPod is not the latest and greatest before you even get the rebate back...)

2. I am with you there! I need a new laptop, but I think I am going to want an iPhone (I really want true GPS). Don't know if I would be able to swing both. My guess is no, though. I think they would have said iPhone if they were going to include it... One can hope, though!

It depends....I gotta tell you, last september (September 15th to be exact) I ordered a 2.4Ghz MacBook Pro w/ the back to school offer on the old 4GB iPod Nanos.....turns out they ran out of the old nanos and gave me a new chubby 8GB Nano video.....so sometimes waiting works.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    qwckdrawqwckdraw Posts: 1member
    Will this educational rebate work with resellers like Amazon.com?
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by qwckdraw View Post

Will this educational rebate work with resellers like Amazon.com?

Amazon already offers a discount that could save you several percent more if you get it without sales tax, but make sure you are getting the latest Apple products as they don't revamp their site well after new models come out.

As for the rebate, that is only through Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Last summer I got a free iPod and a free Canon printer. Sweet deal.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

Last summer I got a free iPod and a free Canon printer. Sweet deal.

Am I the only one who says no to the free printer?
  • Reply 37 of 63
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Am I the only one who says no to the free printer?

Why would you not want a free printer?
  • Reply 38 of 63
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post

Why would you not want a free printer?

Cause sometimes the one you have is better than the one they want to give away?

Why crud up the environment for something extra that you don't need? Just because its free doesn't mean that it doesnt have a cost...
  • Reply 39 of 63
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Yeah I turned down the free printer when I got my MacBook Air. Now if I could have taken the ink cartridges and had them keep the printer, I would have done that.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    diskimagediskimage Posts: 89member
    I wish I had known that apple was going to offer this. I just bought a new iMac . Is it possible to get the iPod Touch if you got your computer less than two weeks ago?