Apple's Mac OS X 10.6 code named "Snow Leopard" - report

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 133
    skeenzeskeenze Posts: 1member
    is there any way 10.6 could open os x to installed on and sold for PCs?
  • Reply 122 of 133
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skeenze View Post

In short, no.
  • Reply 123 of 133
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I found this online...

• Reply 124 of 133
    rockwildrockwild Posts: 1member
    I'm hoping that 10.6 serves the same purpose as 7.6 and 8.6. Both were refinements to their respective .5's and then the new major version came out. In this case, Mac OS XI.

This is probably far out but no other mac os has made it past a .6 revision, so I can only hope.

The only bad thing is I can't imagine what they could come up with that would trump 10.5 enough to call it a new version. I guess that remains a mystery.
  • Reply 125 of 133
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

I found this online...

I do like that in a way, though maybe a tad austere.
  • Reply 126 of 133
    ccollinsccollins Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

making Leopard more secure and stable is called a 'point' update. Not a full upgrade.

Isn't 10.5 to 10.6 technically a "point" upgrade? 10 point 5 to 10 point 6? I wouldn't expect anything truly "WOW" until OS XI This reminds me of 10.4.11... point "11"? isn't that really 10.5.1?

Maybe we'll just get lucky and it will fall within the service contract period and it will be free.

Older software version used to come out with maybe 1 or two "point" releases.

System 1.0 & 1.1, 2 & 2.0.1, 5 & 5.1, version 6 was all 6.0.x updates, 7.1 & 7.5 (7.6 name change), 8 & 8.1 & 8.5, 9 & 9.1 & 9.2

With OS X(10) every "point" update is taken as a new release of the software, when the naming implies maintenance. Leopard would have made a good 11.
  • Reply 127 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techfreak85 View Post

Anything with the name Snow Leopard, a year or so after a release named Leopard, I would guess it would be more of an "extension" to 10.5 . Maybe some more eye candy....3d effects....some more stock sounds, vids and pics.... just add ons, not a whole rewrite but somthing more like the january software update for the iTouch....

Oh yea.... and multi touch for the mac without a track pad for the new iTablet/MacBook Touch
  • Reply 128 of 133
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ccollins View Post

With OS X(10) every "point" update is taken as a new release of the software, when the naming implies maintenance. Leopard would have made a good 11.

It only implies maintenence to those stuck in the past. Developers can choose to name their product whatever they want and with OS X the marketing cachet of "X" as "Ten" is much better than eleven. X has a storied history from Malcom X to X factor to Generation X and so on.

If 10.6 exists it'll certainly have something new or it would be a member of the 10.5.x crew. My guess it it adds cocoa touch and some other low level changes. Enough to jump to 10.6 but too much to add to 10.5.x
  • Reply 129 of 133
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

X has a storied history from Malcom X to X factor to Generation X and so on.

Lets not forget the direct computing lineage of NeXT and Unix.
  • Reply 130 of 133
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Lets not forget the direct computing lineage of NeXT and Unix.

This is the only reference with creedence [speaking from the inside] and whoever the hell thinks it's a Social Reference to Malcom X or GenerationX didnt' work at Apple when it was determined.

Good god people create bullshit out of thin air.
  • Reply 131 of 133
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

This is the only reference with creedence [speaking from the inside] and whoever the hell thinks it's a Social Reference to Malcom X or GenerationX didnt' work at Apple when it was determined.

Good god people create bullshit out of thin air.

I think you're overreacting by a lot, any more and you might blow a lid.

I didn't read hmurchinson's post that way, it doesn't appear to be that to me. What he's saying is that "X" is a cool letter to use, not that it is or has to be any particular cultural reference. X-ray, X-planes, X-wing, X-prize also have some odd ring to it too. Sign your name by the x. Solve the equation for X. Multiply, cross product. The X axis. Seemingly just about any written language has a character that looks similar, even many with non-Roman alphabets. The names of NeXT and UNIX might have been chosen because of the X in the name, again, even if it might not have been a reference to anything specific.
  • Reply 132 of 133
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    boy SJ will have to have some substantial inards for SL for people to upgrade, i just bought 10.5 so i could try ibank3 ( hope to dump quicken junk) that was my only real reason to go leopard in the first place. is leopard that much better than tiger? so SL has got to be either a wimp upgrade or truly wow material. i just can't justify these upgrades maybe wait for 10.7
  • Reply 133 of 133
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skeenze View Post

Making OS X available to install on PCs is never ever going to happen, in my eyes it would be a backwards step