Mac OS X 10.5.4 Update to address Adobe CS3 file corruption

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

The force quit option you are talking about with your other problem you dont have to do. If you goto Window>"the project name" you will see it there all the way at the bottom. Just click it and it will show up again.

No, it's not as simple as that. The menu for InDesign is also not visible so there is no Window menu to access. InDesign is running but there is no way to access it. Force quit is the only option. Happens everyday at my job.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

No, it's not as simple as that. The menu for InDesign is also not visible so there is no Window menu to access. InDesign is running but there is no way to access it. Force quit is the only option. Happens everyday at my job.

Bob's your uncle!
  • Reply 23 of 37
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Re custom keyboard shortcuts: yes you can set them up, but they randomly disappear after a few restarts, and have done since the feature was introduced, so they're not that useful ... and I don't foresee 10.5.4 fixing that when the previous 23 point point updates failed to (they were a Panther thing right?). And the same goes for the iTunes dashboard widget and the fact that it has never ever worked correctly, and I've reported the same crash every point point update since 10.4.0.

I dunno, I guess it keeps me entertained .
  • Reply 24 of 37
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    CS3 and 10.5.3 here and no problems saving to OS X Server 10.5.2.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

While this may change Illustrators shortcut keys it does not fix InDesign's problem with 10.5.2 or 10.5.3. The Hide command simply does not work, and sometimes when you click back on the InDesign window (although it was not Hidden to begin with), it dissapears for good and refuses to show again, and the only way out of that is a Force-Quit and to learn NEVER to use the Hide command with InDesign and 10.5.2 or 10.5.3.

Command H works fine for me with Indesign CS3 and 10.5.3, it was broken in .2 but is fixed now on my machine.

• Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

I can confirm this problem with InDesign, too. But I have it already since 2007 - my first note I made for myself is with OS X 10.4.11 and Indesign CS3 (starting with 5.0.0, but also 5.0.1 and 5.0.2). But I remember that I was fighting with this problem even longer, perhaps already with 10.3.9 and inDesign CS2, but I'm not sure.

In my case, I found a connection between the problem and a setting in DragThing with is called "Bring all windows to front when switching": if this was switched on, I had the problem in InDesign very often (daily, only force-quit helped), if switched off, it was fine (Command-H works very stable now, I am still running 10.4.11). I had a conversation with the developer of DragThing about that, but it did not solve the problem in its core.

There could be a connection with the recent problem or not, I only wanted to give this information to you. I have one new Mac with 10.5.3 since one week and couldn't test it there at this time.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    sesonseson Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seson View Post

No known issues - that's ridiculous!!!

I don't know why they don't seem to read what people post via their bug and feedback section on their web site. I submitted one rather annoying bug 5 times, after each point release of Leopard.

Copy & paste from Preview.app with pdf files doesn't work properly. (E.g. if you paste it into Keynote.app)

This worked in Tiger! But they don't even bother fixing that, instead they put "no known issues".

This thing really makes me mad.

Do they even read the feedback and bugs which are submitted via the form on their homepage?

This hasn't been fixed for 10.5.4 either. Why do they ignore that???
  • Reply 28 of 37
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    No known issues does not mean that there aren't any know bugs in Mac OS X.

It means that the update itself doesn't create any new problems to their knowledge.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    See, they fixed this stupid problem with server file curruption, which people aren't supposed to do in the first place, and they didn't fix one thing that they should have. The command+H bug pisses me off. Yes, theres a work around, but I shouldn't have to open and close the app to get it to do something that it should out of the box.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    It sounds to me that it would require an InDesign update and not a Mac OS X update.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    So does anyone know if anyone has fixed the corrupt photoshop files issue? We are totally reliant on photoshop in the office and all have macs so I have had to go back to previous OS on the machines. There must be 100's of businesses experiencing the same thing.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aswinstanley View Post

So does anyone know if anyone has fixed the corrupt photoshop files issue? We are totally reliant on photoshop in the office and all have macs so I have had to go back to previous OS on the machines. There must be 100's of businesses experiencing the same thing.

Yes, that problem was fixed.

FYI, the problem only occurred when Photoshop saved files over a network to a remote volume, not local, if I recall correctly.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
  • Reply 33 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

FYI, the problem only occurred when Photoshop saved files over a network to a remote volume, not local, if I recall correctly. Only a small percentage of businesses would have that kind of setup. And most would/should have backup systems in place. It was a very vocal minority that we heard from.

Source?
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Yes, that problem was fixed.

FYI, the problem only occurred when Photoshop saved files over a network to a remote volume, not local, if I recall correctly.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

"Reason: Edited to prevent whining"

So rather than to try to support a statement, you remove it and make a comment that seems to suggest that any comment on it is whining?

Cute.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    I used to work for Adobe support a few years back.

If we got calls from people who had corrupted files when you saved them over the network we'd tell them it wasn't supported.

You're supposed to use Adobe Bridge (Version Que at the time) for saving and opening files over a network.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

I used to work for Adobe support a few years back.

If we got calls from people who had corrupted files when you saved them over the network we'd tell them it wasn't supported.

You're supposed to use Adobe Bridge (Version Que at the time) for saving and opening files over a network.

What is it about that program that's supposed to be more reliable than using the main program to directly access the file?
  • Reply 37 of 37
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What is it about that program that's supposed to be more reliable than using the main program to directly access the file?

I can only guess - but that was the policy.

I would assume it's because of all the crazy voodoo Adobe does when saving files. For instance, Photoshop CS has the ability to save files larger than 2GB which requires all sorts of non-standard hacks to work on a 32bit file system like HFS+.

I imagine a lot of the code is cross-platform as well, so who knows how much of it uses the regular Apple frameworks.

Adobe Bridge is really a heavy duty Finder replacement for browsing the file system and the network. Using it feels distinctly un-Mac like. Not like Windows either for that matter.