Photos of 2.8- and 3.2-inch iPhone-like touch panels surface

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sadly it doesn't work like that, and Apple's will need to start opening more stores and pronto if it want's to sell Macs over here.

Belfast too far for ya?
  • Reply 42 of 50
    estebanesteban Posts: 85member
    Smells like an asteroid, no?

btw- I'd love to eat my words on this one.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    I think a 2.8inch 2G iPhone (in Nano colours) makes lots of sense.

Functionally identical to the current iPhone just smaller.

Then a 3G iphone of roughly the same size as current is the premium phone, and very obviously a better phone.

Now for an odd question...

A little voice in my head keeps nudging me, saying "the iPhone Nano won't have GPRS". So no data except when on Wifi.... but that makes no sense to me. My hunch disagrees but has no evidence in the slightest.

Would Apple have anything to gain by doing that on an iPhone Nano? Perhaps a bigger differentiation from the 3G model? Or phone plans without data allowance? Encourage the use of wifi hotspots and installation in schools and homes?
  • Reply 44 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Now for an odd question...

A little voice in my head keeps nudging me, saying "the iPhone Nano won't have GPRS". So no data except when on Wifi.... but that makes no sense to me. My hunch disagrees but has no evidence in the slightest.

Would Apple have anything to gain by doing that on an iPhone Nano? Perhaps a bigger differentiation from the 3G model? Or phone plans without data allowance? Encourage the use of wifi hotspots and installation in schools and homes?

I don't think they would. This latest rumour of a 2.8" and 3.2" is not only too close in size but all smaller than we currently have. It's a great screen compared to what was available last year but, I think, going smaller is out of the question for me, even if it is 3G.

I can't see Apple having 3 different brands here:
    • iPhone Nano — cellphone/PMP

• iPhone — cellphone/PMP/MID

• iPod Touch — PMP/MID

It just doesn't make sense as the App Store and iTunes Store are now useless on the iPhone Nano and without internet for stocks, weather, etc it becomes a pretty stale device that doesn't incorporate any of Apple's strengths. If they wanted to do that they could have come out with this a decade ago. To make it just WiFi is pointless as GPRS/EDGE are common elements of cell networks and important part of a carrier's revenue, as well as Apple's selling position.

THe only way it could work wold be to be EDGE and cheap. But can a 2.8" high-ppi capacitance display with many GB of Flash be that cheap when compared to other phones? Aren't these people already using an iPhone? Would these other want to buy one of the thousands of used iPhones with bigger screens on eBay or Craig's List after the new ones come out?
  • Reply 45 of 50
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Damn fine idea. I'll just go and patent the Ronbo Handy-Dandy Finger Sharpener. Like a pencil sharpener, only better! It's THE indispensable tool for those unfortunates among you cursed with normal sized fingers, who dream of typing on your iPhone nano's on-screen keyboard. Includes an adapter for the thumbs, PLUS at no extra cost, a nice thick piece of leather for you to bite down on while the grinders do their work. Order now while supplies last!!

Bandages sold separately.

You don't need to sharpen your fingers, you buy the large one. But your lady - presuming you're not gay - your mom - presuming you're gay - and kids will all easily ride with a wee bit smaller screen and much cheaper iPhone
  • Reply 46 of 50
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

A little voice in my head keeps nudging me, saying "the iPhone Nano won't have GPRS".

Have you taken your pills today Greg?!
  • Reply 47 of 50
    estebanesteban Posts: 85member
    One thing that hadn't occurred to me:

Wasn't there talk of being able to use your iPhone or Touch as a media controller?

Perhaps the smaller one is destined for that purpose; if this isn't just a load of hype, or an Apple leaker triangulation scheme.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Esteban View Post

One thing that hadn't occurred to me:

Wasn't there talk of being able to use your iPhone or Touch as a media controller?

Perhaps the smaller one is destined for that purpose; if this isn't just a load of hype, or an Apple leaker triangulation scheme.

I think if Apple made an amazing TV(+Internet) remote control via your iPhone, with interesting features like flicking pictures across to the TV, search youtube and flick the clip across etc - the AppleTV would take off with an entirely new market.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    it would make a perfect ipod nano and iphone mini
  • Reply 50 of 50
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by XamaX View Post

You don't need to sharpen your fingers, you buy the large one. But your lady - presuming you're not gay - your mom - presuming you're gay - and kids will all easily ride with a wee bit smaller screen and much cheaper iPhone

The cost of the screen doesn't go down that much with size. I think it will have to go without some significant features.