Nehalem on prototype HW is still the fastest Pentium

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I doubt Apple has much of anything other than the drop-dead routine planned for the mini or even spends much time thinking about it. For the past year or more anything done to the mini has almost been on an afterthought level. Whatever technology developed and employed for another line (typically MacBook it appears) eventually gets shoved into the mini if at all. Almost since its inception, nothing was specifically developed for the mini and so I can't imagine Apple is making any effort to use Atom in it, either.

While that may be true, I don't believe that's Apple's motivation (or lack thereof) in this case. Reason, it's poor business. Either you promote your products or discontinue them if they don't meet your expectations. I think Apple are too smart to let the mini languish indefinitely. It would be poor from a business perspective to do so.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

While that may be true, I don't believe that's Apple's motivation (or lack thereof) in this case. Reason, it's poor business. Either you promote your products or discontinue them if they don't meet your expectations. I think Apple are too smart to let the mini languish indefinitely. It would be poor from a business perspective to do so.

I agree, they won't let it languish indefinitely. Instead, I think it's likely they keep on doing what they've been doing... putting much of the MacBook innards into the mini 6 to 12 months later (tying to figure out how to use an Atom -- no). It takes little to no development effort which is appropriate since by all estimations it's Apple's least profitable computer.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Wow. AMD-ATI is in trouble. Intel and nVidia look set to wipe the floor with them over the next few years. CPU, GPU, parallel CUDA, physics too...

The ATI half is doing all right. Their GPUs aren't as powerful as NVidia's best, but they use a lot less power. And they're a lot cheaper.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Next gen Intel desktop CPUs looks fantastic an iMac could end up with CPUs that equals or beats current octacore Pros

And the iPone2 too
  • Reply 25 of 35
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    The problem is looking at current Schedule Nehalem for Desktop Minstream doesn't come out till Q2 09.

The same goes for Notebook.

So Next year WWDC will be very interesting indeed.

( Looks like i will have to wait another year till i upgrade then.. In the mean time i will get an iPhone )
  • Reply 26 of 35
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

The problem is looking at current Schedule Nehalem for Desktop Minstream doesn't come out till Q2 09.

The same goes for Notebook.

So Next year WWDC will be very interesting indeed.

( Looks like i will have to wait another year till i upgrade then.. In the mean time i will get an iPhone )

You can even say Q3 for most parts. Since Apple doesn't use mainstream desktop cpus from Intel.

Xeons in Q4 2008, Q1 2009 for Apple

Mobile chips in Q3 2009.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    cmackcmack Posts: 1member
    This Nehalem preview looks great, should we look for it to make its way into the Mac Pro in Dec or Jan? Possibly with the long-rumored case redesign?
  • Reply 28 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CMack View Post

This Nehalem preview looks great, should we look for it to make its way into the Mac Pro in Dec or Jan? Possibly with the long-rumored case redesign?

Most likely. Apple has 3 options that will be shipping by years end.

Bloomfield- This is the standard Desktop proc. 4-cores(8 thread) , 8MB of shared L3 cache and 1x 4.8 GTs or 6.4GTs (Extreme) Quickpath links.

If they decide to go with a Workstation class proc (which I think they will) they'll likely go with

Gainestown- This gives is DP (I'm assuming two socket) 4-Core(8 thread) procs with 8MB L3 and 2x Quickpath links.

Perfect CPU for taking advantage of Grand Central.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    hfuhfu Posts: 55member
    Nehalem will be a great desktop upgrade initially. Hope Intel will shift to 32nm soon so the mobile platform will share the same performance improvement within the same TDP envelop as previous generation.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Bloomfield- This is the standard Desktop proc. 4-cores(8 thread) , 8MB of shared L3 cache and 1x 4.8 GTs or 6.4GTs (Extreme) Quickpath links.

If they decide to go with a Workstation class proc (which I think they will) they'll likely go with

Gainestown- This gives is DP (I'm assuming two socket) 4-Core(8 thread) procs with 8MB L3 and 2x Quickpath links.

Gainestown, I'm guessing. That's the processor that will be branded as a Xeon.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I agree that the Mac Pro will use the Gainstown.

The Bloomfield would be a perfect chip for an xMac.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    We already have information that Apple wants to put better Core2 Duo chips in the replacement for today's Mac mini, not Atoms (Don't be surprised though if it ends up being the MBA chip)

Those Nehalem's look badass. Intel already has the best commercial CPU line in the form of Core2, and this just makes it better - by miles. Awesome.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

and pay $2900 - $3500 for that Nehalem mac pro with 6 ddr 3 dimms 3 pre cpu.

Intel may jack up there prices if this is a lot better then amd. Apple may want to use cheaper and not as fast amd chips in some of there systems with much better on board video.

also you will have to wait for Q2 2009 / H2 2009 for the laptop chips that apple will put the there mini and imacs.

Yeah, but at least it'll be DDR3, not FB-DIMMs. And you don't have to fill all three channels at once. You'll have to balance each half of the NUMA though.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    but for a sever chipset it may end being DDR3 ECC vs lower cost desktop DDR3